Author Topic: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for  (Read 5244 times)

kashell

Re: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 11:13:34 am »
Least favorite: Nintendo DS

I'd be interested to hear your explanation of this.

The DS has been pretty enjoyable to collect for for me. I seem to find the games often and they are usually prices very low when i find them.
Sure!

I have two problems with DS collecting. The first is that the library is filled with shovelware. You can find copies of Aly and AJ and/or Cory in the House at every used game store you frequent. Hell, I've seen things like My SAT Coach for sale in gas stations. To find the stuff that I actually want to play, I need to either dig and dig through the garbage or resort to online.

...which brings me to my second problem. Most of the games I legit want to play seemed to have gone up in price overnight. If you want the game complete, then you can expect to pay even more. It seems like it happened all at once. Some consoles like the Saturn or N64 were always expensive. It's weird that it happened in a snap with the DS.

Luckily, there are only a few titles left that I want to get:

Mega Man ZX and Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light were reasonable last I checked.

Avalon Code, My World My Way and Sands of Destruction on the other hand...yikes.

azure

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 01:07:40 pm »
Favorites: GameCube, PS1/PS2, GBA.

Least Favorite: Saturn

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 02:43:33 pm »
Favorite would be the 360 as thanks to the achievement system, I even want to play the crap games for the points.

Least favorite would be the N64 as while I love the system and the games, at times, I feel like I was the only person who actually took care of their games. I've still got all the manuals and boxes for my childhood games, but the vast majority of what I find in the wild look like they were buried outside for a few years, then cleaned up by being tossed in a washing machine. And I can't say I've seen similar condition problems with the other older cartridge-based systems I collect for (SNES and GB/C/A).

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 04:52:07 pm »

The DS has been pretty enjoyable to collect for for me. I seem to find the games often and they are usually prices very low when i find them.
Sure!

I have two problems with DS collecting. The first is that the library is filled with shovelware. You can find copies of Aly and AJ and/or Cory in the House at every used game store you frequent. Hell, I've seen things like My SAT Coach for sale in gas stations. To find the stuff that I actually want to play, I need to either dig and dig through the garbage or resort to online.

...which brings me to my second problem. Most of the games I legit want to play seemed to have gone up in price overnight. If you want the game complete, then you can expect to pay even more. It seems like it happened all at once. Some consoles like the Saturn or N64 were always expensive. It's weird that it happened in a snap with the DS.

Mega Man ZX and Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light were reasonable last I checked.

Avalon Code, My World My Way and Sands of Destruction on the other hand...yikes.

Ds is definitly one of my favourite handheld consoles to collect for but I do see your point and I will agree that if your looking for specific titles especially those very niche low print rpg's your most likely not going to find them in a random pawn shop,

in my opinion as a ds collector I will say that ds prices have most definitly not skyrocketed in price over night, prices have already been up there for years.

Those very niche titles where pretty much always more pricy than the majority of the ds games with value. The only difference might have been that the prices where slightly lower if you where willing to just pick them up at the current values from someone online at market value years ago.

Plenty of titles on ds have gone up but they where already pretty pricy before that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:54:51 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pizzasafari

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »
Favourite: Switch. Knowing the versatility of the console something feels so insanely satisfying about buying Switch games. I only hope it starts getting more releases that aren't just ports again soon though or I'm gonna fall out of love with it. Honourable mention to Vita, I don't really have a good reason for it, something just feels really good about buying new Vita games for some reason.

Least Favourite: Xbox 360. It was my console of choice at the start of that gen but since I moved to PS3 I've had no interest in playing it anymore and the games I have for it feel worthless now for some reason. Maybe just because it's Microsoft. I'm not moved to buy games for it anymore whatsoever, in fact I've been buying PS3 versions of games I already have on 360 just so I can play them on a console that doesn't feel bleh to play.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:01 pm »
My favorite to collect for was the PlayStation. I got my first full time job and still lived at home. I was able to buy every game I wanted as they were shipped.

The least favorite to collect for was the GameCube. I think that was the start of Nintendos limited release of games. The stores in my area either didn’t carry them or only got a few copies of each.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »

Sure!

Both valid points. I've had exceptional luck collecting for the DS over the years for one reason or another, but whenever I come across the games, 90% of the time it's all the shovelware. It's that 10% that has kept it enjoyable for me, especially finding stuff for super cheap in the wild. I think another aspect that has kept DS collecting enjoyable for me is that I never went hardcore with it and actively sought things out and stalked ebay listings for games I wanted for it. I have maintained a pretty large want list for it, but I've just chipped away at it casually for years now and have been able to find a huge chunk of it for reasonable prices.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 03:50:59 am »
PS1 is my favorite system to collect for, easy to find and I don't have much competition since everyone around me just has a hardon for nintendo. 

I enjoy collecting for a lot of other systems but snes is probably my least favorite.  Too expensive and since I like CIB stuff, it's really too expensive.  I still like the system but it's just not fun to collect for. 

kashell

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 08:13:17 am »

Sure!

Both valid points. I've had exceptional luck collecting for the DS over the years for one reason or another, but whenever I come across the games, 90% of the time it's all the shovelware. It's that 10% that has kept it enjoyable for me, especially finding stuff for super cheap in the wild. I think another aspect that has kept DS collecting enjoyable for me is that I never went hardcore with it and actively sought things out and stalked ebay listings for games I wanted for it. I have maintained a pretty large want list for it, but I've just chipped away at it casually for years now and have been able to find a huge chunk of it for reasonable prices.
Chipping away casually is actually an accurate way to describe my collecting for it, too. It's the bottom of my priority list, but there is still some interest here or there.

Interestingly, after my reply I read some reviews for Sands of Destruction and gathered some opinions. I can take that one off the list - it doesn't look great.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 09:28:28 am »

Sure!

Chipping away casually is actually an accurate way to describe my collecting for it, too. It's the bottom of my priority list, but there is still some interest here or there.

Interestingly, after my reply I read some reviews for Sands of Destruction and gathered some opinions. I can take that one off the list - it doesn't look great.

That's actually what happened with me with Avalon Code. I found it at Gamestop of all places for like $20 complete, was super excited, tried it out and it just never clicked with me. I thought about holding onto it for bragging rights, but it was just too valuable a game for me to do that. I ended up selling it instead and haven't regretted it yet either.

kashell

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:48 am »

Sure!

That's actually what happened with me with Avalon Code. I found it at Gamestop of all places for like $20 complete, was super excited, tried it out and it just never clicked with me. I thought about holding onto it for bragging rights, but it was just too valuable a game for me to do that. I ended up selling it instead and haven't regretted it yet either.
I'm glad you made this topic. I looked at Avalon Code footage and it looked clunky, even by 3D Nintendo DS standards. That's another one down.

aliensstudios

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:50 pm »
I'd say the N64. I have most of the heavy hitters that I want, but the majority of the library is unappealing, with smudgy graphics and expensive, unintuitive games. Even as a kid who grew up with an N64, the moment I tried a SNES, I fell in love with he titles on that system. I'll pick up a 64 title if it's real cheap, but I have maybe bought three games for it in the last year.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

shfan

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 06:18:44 pm »
Favourites: PS2 (loads of exclusives, niche and triple-A mixed together, beautiful), Vita (fab system, a small pool of games to go at).
Least favourites: N64 (terrible boxes, extremely low availability of good condition games at reasonable prices), PSP (missed the boat, already skyrocketing in price and so many of the games worth having weren't released in PAL territories, UMDs are achey-breaky and the damned read-surface can still be scratched to hell).

ferraroso

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 09:10:18 pm »
Overall, my personal favorite console of all time is the Master System. It was my first video game and the one that brings back some of the sweetest memories of my childhood.

Having said that, the console that I have the most fun collecting is the Sega Saturn. I often find somethingn for it that I didn't even know existed and usually for very cheap.

And the ones that I have the least fun are the Wii and the Nintendo 64. I am far, very far from being a fan of Nintendo, but I do have some respect for the Famicom/NES and I have lots of fun collecting for the Super Famicom/SNES and the GameCube.
However, I simply hate all kinds of motion control (which pretty much discards most of the Wii's library) and so far, I only found ONE game for the Nintendo 64 I really like...

kypherion

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 09:16:21 pm »
PS1 is my favorite system to collect for, easy to find and I don't have much competition since everyone around me just has a hardon for nintendo. 

LOL he's right
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"