Author Topic: Game Cases for Digital Titles: Yay or Nay?  (Read 4924 times)

gf78

Game Cases for Digital Titles: Yay or Nay?
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:00 pm »
As a collector, I value tangible, real-world items I can hold. I think most collectors do. The very definition of "collector" is A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby.

I've always been bugged by digital-only titles. Enough so that it interferes with my enjoyment of said games. It's like a feeling of regret or sadness to me?  It's hard to explain. What about game expansions?  Adding on an expansion feels like it's not really a part of the game in a way to me. One exception to me was the Witcher III expansions. They came in a box with a set of Gwent cards. It was something tangible. A physical manifestation that even though the actual game data wasnt in the box, gave me something to hold onto.  While playing Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon, I thought it would be awesome to see box art for it. Box art to me is like an old record album cover. Somebody poured a lot of time & love into the illustrations. It's why I love art books and sadly lament the disappearance of game instruction manuals, especially some of the Nintendo color ones full of artwork. So I just Googled "Bloodstained Switch cover art."  And wow!  I was blown away! 

So a little research, I found covers for A LOT of eShop Switch games!  I went to eBay, found empty Switch boxes for about $1.55 each shipped (I ordered a 10-pack for $15.48 shipped).  High-resolution printouts of the covers on glossy photo paper which is about the same weight as the genuine Switch covers is $0.87 each at Office Depot. So for $2.42, I have an authentic-looking box to look at. It may seem silly to some, that's fine. Others with large collections cant spare the shelf space. Understandable. But for me, it strikes the pleasure center in my weird brain.

I'm waiting for the cases to arrive, but here are some of the printouts I have made. Please note that the actual printouts are very clear, crisp, sharp and vibrant.  I also have five more that I ordered online before I decided to take a stab at them myself. Will post them & these in cases once everything arrives.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:27:45 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Game Cases for Digital Titles: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
This is a pretty great idea.  I might have to think about doing this for a few games myself.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:35:21 pm »
Here is a chopped down collage of the covers I ordered online.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:38:55 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
Huge neh

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:15 pm »
I love that castlevania style cover for Bloodstained, but I'll just wait to see if LRG does a physical version. As cool as some of those cases are I just dont have enough room on my shelves for empty game cases.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:39:14 pm »
topspot123 already had and discussed an idea like this, too.

Like I said there, I actually once wanted to do something like this, but it sincerely is a waste of space. Yeah, they'll make for good shelf candy, but that's all they're going to be. Empty cases taking up space that could be used for something else.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:08 pm »
Big ol' nope from me- I keep my game case space for cases with games in them. If I really needed a physical representation of a game, I'd just print an art card & keep a photo album.

I also have a thing for the items to be offical- just like I spend extra money to get CIB disc games instead of just printing up a cover & buying a disc cheap, I would want my digital representation to not be homemade. So I keep things like promotional flyers, code papers, etc.- but that's it.

mark1982

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:44 pm »
Some of those look really cool, especially the retro Bloodstained one. If you have the space go for it :)

Personally I wouldn’t be to keen on the idea. First off, space issue, I’m currently running out of room, I thought this day would never come, but alas. Secondly as others mentioned I like my physical collection to be official.
  l    l 

gf78

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:07:00 am »
Some of those look really cool, especially the retro Bloodstained one. If you have the space go for it :)

Personally I wouldn’t be to keen on the idea. First off, space issue, I’m currently running out of room, I thought this day would never come, but alas. Secondly as others mentioned I like my physical collection to be official.

When it comes to retail releases, yes - I like to keep it official. Which is why even though some of the prints are alternate art for retail games that I printed because I like them, I wont replace the original inserts. But for a game with no hope of a retail release?  I'm more than happy with the custom cases using official assets from the developer/publisher.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 01:39:07 am »
With how much space I got back from trading in a bunch of games, something like this while nice would not help and only take away said space. Also the idea of having empty cases of nothing isnt something that entices me. Even the case I have for Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris which while official doesnt do much for me since its just an empty case.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 03:27:50 am »
I bet you spent more on the case alone than what you spent on Bouncy Bob on the eshop haha!

All joking aside, I think the idea is pretty cool for certain games, I wouldn't do it for all my downloadable titles but maybe a select few.  I just lack the space right now for such a project. 

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:41 am »
Well for me I'd say definitely no because of space. Although I understand your point about the artwork I feel the same way.So whatever works for you is most important.

gf78

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 09:25:19 am »
I bet you spent more on the case alone than what you spent on Bouncy Bob on the eshop haha!

All joking aside, I think the idea is pretty cool for certain games, I wouldn't do it for all my downloadable titles but maybe a select few.  I just lack the space right now for such a project.

I think you are right about bouncy bob!  Lol. I have no intention of getting a case for every eshop title. But "bigger" or games that I hold in high regard, it's nice to have a case for.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 09:52:23 am »
Like most others I don’t really have the space.  I like the idea, and the art, but I’ve got enough empty spares that I can’t keep empties around that dont serve a purpose other than aesthetics

theflea

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 10:18:30 am »
I personally wont support digital games. (unless it's free or DLC)
I don't see any point of cases of games you don't own.

It's bad enough buying games that are online only, knowing one day it could be a dead game.
"Happy game hunting!!!"