Author Topic: Do you think games are often worth full retail price? (e.g. $60 USD)  (Read 4061 times)

In recent months I bought both Red Dead Redemption 2 and Pokemon Let's Go Eevee day one with no regrets. I don't mind paying full retail on a game I'm excited about and think is worth it, but that is only a couple times a year. I can't justify full price on linear single player games that are over in a weekend with no post-game content and I'm not a big multiplayer guy so it's tough for me to want to shell out full retail.

ferraroso

Re: Do you think games are often worth full retail price? (e.g. $60 USD)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:18:22 pm »
I don't see any problems in buying full retail price video games. If it is a series that I really like such as Metal Gear Solid (up to The Phantom Pain) and Ace Combat, I would even happily give them more money by buying the Collector's Edition or something like that.
For me, the problem starts when you buy a game that is incomplete because you will need to buy a freaking DLC in order to get the full experience.

Because of that, I end up rarely buying new games when they come out. Usually, I prefer spending US$60.00 (actually, the retail price here in Japan for new releases is usually something closer to US$80.00) on an older game that I know is going to be good than on a newer game that is probably not even going to be complete without its DLCs and microtransactions...

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:37:34 pm »
Usually are.  It's uncommon that I find a game that isn't worth the cost and even then, I've bought games, beat them, and then traded them in, like Uncharted 4.  Generally won't replay them and are basically one and done experiences, so with trade, I'm getting them for way less, usually half the cost.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:00 pm »
i thought assassins creed odyssey and assassins creed origins would have been worth 60, as well as the current tomb raider series.

wolfen

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:14:43 pm »
The only games I don't like paying full price for are ports and smaller scope games. If I TRULY love a game, i.e. Wind Waker HD, I will pay any amount for it.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:18 pm »
Not all, but most games I've purchased this generation have been worth the retail asking price, some absolutely so. I feel like this was definitely more of an issue in previous generations, especially pre 6th gen.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:41 pm »
I’ve not paid full retail price for a game in a few years.  The rewards / discounts programs through Best Buy and Amazon have spoiled me, and now that they are over I can’t bring myself to pay that $60+tax when I’d been capping at like $52.  I’ll probably never pay full price for a game again.

That’s not to say I don’t think certain games are not worth the cost.  A lot of those massive AAA titles are well worth that much because of the amount of content in them.

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:56 am »
I can't believe anyone would. It's hard to believe people bought falllout 76 at full price.

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:39:01 am »
If you really really like that game then yes. I preorded smash ultimate for $60 because I knew it was worth it and would play the hell out of that game.

Hyrule Warriors for example is a game I'm interested in, but would not pay full price for especially with it being a Dynasty Warriors skin. That and when it's $45 at gamestop vs. Nintendo's $60 online that isn't a hard choice.

From what I've heard about how good RDR2 is I would say it's worth full retail but things like that also depend on frequency of the game being played.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 01:25:11 am »
I'm never dumb enough to pay full retail for a game unless it's something I am really passionate about (GTA, RDR). Other games, you wait about 3-5 months, the price tanks pretty quickly. Like Spyro Reignited I have seen advertised for about $25 now. It was $40 when it first came out.

The only thing is that most PS4 Blu-rays are 48 GB maximum capacity. You have a big game, you're gonna spend an entire evening downloading the rest of the game + any update patches that were released since the game came out.  I remember one time installing a 10 year old PS3 game, and had to plow through about a dozen updates.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:27:42 am by seberhusky »

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 01:33:56 am »
If you really really like that game then yes. I preorded smash ultimate for $60 because I knew it was worth it and would play the hell out of that game.

Hyrule Warriors for example is a game I'm interested in, but would not pay full price for especially with it being a Dynasty Warriors skin. That and when it's $45 at gamestop vs. Nintendo's $60 online that isn't a hard choice.

From what I've heard about how good RDR2 is I would say it's worth full retail but things like that also depend on frequency of the game being played.
To be fair Nintendo games are pretty stable in pricing they rarely drop that much.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 07:48:05 am »
Video games are a rare breed, as in when inflation has ballooned the price of just about everything else, video game prices have really not risen since the 80's.

I still have my receipt for The Illusion of Gaia. I paid $79.99 plus tax for it new at Walmart.  I paid $60 on average for SNES and N64 games when they were released.

Many gamers are too young to remember things like this or were even alive then. It wasnt until PlayStation that games started getting "standard" pricing.

With all that being said, I generally have no issue paying $60 for a new game. The only time I won't pay full retail is when I know a price drop is incoming. For example, I want Mario Maker 3DS. It still sells for $39.99 new, but it is joining Nintendo Selects in February. So I'd be stupid to pay double for it when I can just wait a week or so and snag a "leftover" original at the Selects price. It's a game I've not bought yet and it's been out a couple of years. A couple weeks longer ain't gonna hurt me.

I always find other people's perception of an items value fascinating. I hear people balk about paying $60 for a new game or recently, when talking about an enhanced port like New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. For me, if I get a complete experience out of the box for a single-player game that lasts me roughly 6 hours, it was worth it. Even if I never play through it again, as long as I enjoyed it.

People will go out and spend $30 or $50 a pop at a restaurant without batting an eye. A lot of folks I know will spend that much at a seafood restaurant eating shrimp or crab legs. Me?  I'll spend $3 on a McBurger, get my game and not have eaten sea cockroaches.  :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:25:56 am »
I don't have a problem paying full price for a game as long as im going to play it right away. If not then I'll pick it up used for cheap which is what I usually do.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 10:31:39 am »
As mentioned A lot of people buy a new game then trade it in after beating it, in which is partially the reason why most modern video games are now disposable entertainment and no longer are released as physical copies anymore. and to me that is upsetting

To answer the question yes but only for a brand new physical copied video game that I can keep and play forever >:( not a game that is only going to be usable for a few years or worse, months
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:33:24 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 11:15:31 am »
I usually end up paying $60 for new releases as long as they aren't digital. Especially Nintendo games, they stay $55 used for years so it isn't worth waiting in my eyes. Also some of the anime style games I play can often get a bit hard to track down and can be pricey still. I'll wait though if I think I can get away with it. I'm waiting on KH3 to price drop before I get it. Also with used games you always run the chance of bootleg copies, especially with carts.