Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51571 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:33 am »
So...anyone else here like/listen to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra?

After listening to some of their music - I not only found that I really liked it, but also that, I was really impressed by the guitar work + the tone & theme to much of their music actually sounded familiar to me & reminded me of something...

After a little info-digging...I now understand why  8)

I used to listen to a lot of Savatage (w/ "Gutter Ballet" being one of my favs) - it, also had a similar 'rock opera' / 'orchestral metal' type of feel (this was back in the late 80's, no less)!

Also, way back when, I was a pretty big fan of Testament, and, playing guitar myself at the time - I was easily able to recognize that their guitarist (Alex Skolnik) stood head & shoulders above many of the "Hey, I've got long hair, a guitar, and know a few power chords"/dime-a-dozen metal "guitarists" of the time.

TL;DR:

Turns out that the guy who started/runs TSO was involved with (the publisher, iirc) Savatage's album Gutter Ballet.

Another founding/key person in TSO *IS* the guitarist from Savatage.

Another of TSO's 'regular' guitarists name is...wait for it...

...Alex Skolnik  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »
^ The more you dig, them more you find how incredibly connected the metal world actually is.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:42 am »
^ The more you dig, them more you find how incredibly connected the metal world actually is.

Yeah, this kind of shit is fascinating to me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
BTW, Trans-Siberian Orchestra is awesome! I guess I'm gonna have to check out Savatage.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »
BTW, Trans-Siberian Orchestra is awesome! I guess I'm gonna have to check out Savatage.

I'd say to start w/ Gutter Ballet & to listen to (the song) "Gutter Ballet" & "When the Crowds Have Gone" to get a pretty good feel of what to expect  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »
There are better bands that make use of an orchestra than TSO. They're OK but I would not listen to them. We get bombared with radio commercials for them 3 months of the year.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »
There are better bands that make use of an orchestra than TSO. They're OK but I would not listen to them. We get bombared with radio commercials for them 3 months of the year.

If they're anything like the commercials we get, the only song you hear from them on it is "Carol of the Bells". They do a lot more than just that.

crabhammer

« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »
I'm going stick out like a sore metal thumb here, but Thou has finally set a release date for their 4th full-length. "Heathen" is set to release on February 25th and if you guys haven't checked them out... you should.

crabhammer

« Reply #308 on: December 19, 2013, 07:30:32 pm »
I was getting into a metal Christmas mood and combing the net for tracks to toss onto a mixtape and thought you all would enjoy this...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #309 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »
80s cheese at it's very height. Just look at Paul Stanley's moves, lmao!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:04:54 pm by burningdoom »

htimreimer

« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »
dose anyone here like halestorm

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2013, 08:41:52 pm »

Meh. Radio-rock that I could live without. It's not completely terrible, like Limp Bizkit or anything, though.

htimreimer

« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:40 am »

Meh. Radio-rock that I could live without. It's not completely terrible, like Limp Bizkit or anything, though.
oh god, i would rather listen to the kenny g discography then llimp bizkit and kenny g makes elevator music

crabhammer

« Reply #313 on: December 31, 2013, 01:05:42 am »
For a second I misread Alestorm...

pacpix

« Reply #314 on: December 31, 2013, 03:40:34 am »

oh god, i would rather listen to the kenny g discography then llimp bizkit and kenny g makes elevator music
I have a Limp Bizkit Greatest Hitz CD on my shelf and I don't know why I have it. SOMEONE TAKE IT FROM ME PLEASE. I'll even pay the shipping.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)