Author Topic: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?  (Read 8289 times)

darko

Want to feel like a really, really small collector?
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:07 am »
This is pretty impressive (although the storage arrangements would drive me mad):

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:11:56 am by darko »

scott

Re: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:15:52 am »
Just from the preview stills I want to go "holy shit" haha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:21:46 pm »
Just from the preview stills I want to go "holy shit" haha.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
Whenever I see these huge collections, I can never quite shake the feeling that most of them are all about quantity over quality. I never get the sense that I'm looking at the collection of someone with discerning taste, or someone who views it like a curator, bringing together what they personally consider to be the best of the best.

People can buy whatever they want obviously, it's just weird to me.

darko

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »
Whenever I see these huge collections, I can never quite shake the feeling that most of them are all about quantity over quality. I never get the sense that I'm looking at the collection of someone with discerning taste, or someone who views it like a curator, bringing together what they personally consider to be the best of the best.

People can buy whatever they want obviously, it's just weird to me.

I started out with volume (you can see that in my NES collection), but I've decided that there are plenty of good games to keep my collecting focused for years to come. I don't know that I'll ever own a complete collection of anything unless I find a really good deal on a lot or something.

insektmute

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
I started out with volume (you can see that in my NES collection), but I've decided that there are plenty of good games to keep my collecting focused for years to come. I don't know that I'll ever own a complete collection of anything unless I find a really good deal on a lot or something.

I guess for me there's always had to be a focus on prioritization and quality, mainly due to budget and space considerations. I could probably build up a sizeable stack of cheap NES stuff, but then I'd have... a big stack of games I don't even like. I could understand someone being a completionist if they really like a series though, and I'm slowly doing that with Megami Tensei :p

darko

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:24:44 pm »
...I'm slowly doing that with Megami Tensei :p

GREAT choice! The SMT games are awesome.

insektmute

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »
GREAT choice! The SMT games are awesome.

Yeah, I got lucky with that series, too. Back when SMT: Nocturne first came out, I saw it on the shelf at GameStop and, even though I knew literally nothing about it, I picked it up blindly. I've pre-ordered every game in the series since then, so I haven't missed a thing... even Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I don't even own a 3DS yet :p

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »

Same here. When we started up VGC I was in hardcore Game Boy  buying mode. And was just starting up Saturn games. I've since decided that I'd rather focus on Castlevania, RPGs and SHMUPs Plus whatever series I enjoy the most.

insektmute

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:43:47 pm »
Same here. When we started up VGC I was in hardcore Game Boy  buying mode. And was just starting up Saturn games. I've since decided that I'd rather focus on Castlevania, RPGs and SHMUPs Plus whatever series I enjoy the most.

I looked through your collection after we got going back-and-forth a bit about Cave, and whatever strategy you've taken seems to be working out well. Tons of great stuff!

scott

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »
Its really the nonstrategic strategy...but thanks!

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:43 pm »
It's all like "look at all this stuff I never ever use and just have because I'm cooler than you!"

I have a lot less games and consoles than he does (obviously) and even I have trouble playing all I want to play, let alone wasting money/time on stuff I don't want. I can't imagine him having any time to play anything he has.

Not that his collection isn't nice... but why? It's such a waste to have all this stuff and not using most of it, just putting it on shelves.

... And dammit this guy's voice is freaking annoying.

jcalder8

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:58 pm »
I made it through about 5 minutes of the first video and I really just got bored. When he started to drone on about the PS3 sign about non PS3 stuff I checked out. It looks like an impressive collection but he should have kept it to 15 minutes max!

I will buy pretty much anything that is cheap so I'm roughly in the same boat as this guy, if there is a game that I really want I will save up to buy it but I enjoy going out for the hunt and buying something so I would rather buy 5 average or common games in person for $10 than to spend $100 on something I have to order online.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:09:03 pm by jcalder8 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:11 pm »
I will buy pretty much anything that is cheap so I'm roughly in the same boat as this guy, if there is a game that I really want I will save up to buy it but I enjoy going out for the hunt and buying something so I would rather buy 5 average or common games in person for $10 than to spend $100 on something I have to order online.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I have tons of useless shit.  Tons of it.  But you know what, I've bought 99% that useless shit in person and at a good price.  I'm not saying I've bought anything online, but its something specific that I really want.  That is just too much stuff, even for me.

I guess it's cool and all, if that's what you want.  He really does have everything.  I've spent a good amount to amass the pile I have. I can only imagine what kind of coin he's dropped.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
The only coin he probably dropped was his parents.. An in no way could he have collected that working even full time burger flipping..... But I agree that is a pretty nice collection.. would I like to own a collection like that? don't know depends if I had alot of money to not have a job to enjoy it...
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual