Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Fairchild Channel F  (Read 1658 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Fairchild Channel F
« on: April 19, 2014, 03:49:55 am »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and this time I'm reviewing an 8-Track player... oh wait it's the Fairchild Channel F.   

Fairchild Channel F

History:
Time to enter Generation two of gaming consoles.
Released in 1976 it was the first to have programmable cartridges. It was a major leap forward in video games.  Fairchild released 20 games before Zicon bought the system and released the Channel F II in 1979 and released 6 more games.

How did it do?
Not well, with only 250,000 sold and limited games the system was pretty much done by the 80s.

Graphics:
For it's time it was a huge leap forward with eight pallet color graphics, while none of the original releases really hold up today, most being simple novelty games. Games have no sound, all the sound effect come from the console.

Is this system still fun to play?
It's more of an oddity then fun. The controllers are the most unusual controllers ever seen on a game system. Most games can be confusing to play at first just because you have to learn how this console operates.

What games are worth playing?
The best games I've seen are Alien Invasion, Galactic Space Wars  & a Pac-Man homebrew three of the hardest games to find today.

How many versions are there?
Two, The second model is slightly smaller and lighter.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Well first thing is buyer beware, seems like most of the model 1 consoles have issues. If you find a console at a garage sale or pretty much anywhere. Let the system sit for at least an hour before plugging it in, let the console get to room temperature. Why you may ask? Because many people will store this away in a hot attic or cold basement then pull it out plug it in and blow a chip inside the console. Then the system wont stay on for more then five minutes. This is why many on Ebay have this issue.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the model 2's but I'd rather be safe then sorry and do the same thing. The other major problem with this console is that the controllers break easy and they are hardwired into the console making it difficult to replace, The Adapter is also hardwired making this an issue if damaged. Also expect to find many of the model 1's to be missing the plastic top.

My Experience with the Console
The first Channel F I owned had the blown chip. I was able to play it for five minutes then the system would shut down. Then several months later a local game store called me telling me someone brought one in but they didn't want it so they got his phone number and gave it to me. So I called the guy and he came over to my house and I told him I'd buy it for $40 if it worked. But he had to wait an hour with me before I'd test it. (I told him about the chip) He was fine with that and we played video games while waiting. (lol) Then after an hour I hooked it up and we ended up playing the Channel F for a while. (lol) At this point I was satisfied and paid the $40 and we both had a good time. Later I picked up a CIB Model 2 in perfect shape and again I did the same with this one wait well over an hour before testing it.
I always loved how the carts look like eight track tapes and even slide into the console like an eight track. I've even had people see it and ask is that an eight track player? (lol)

Final Thoughts
If you love 70s gaming or love to own a piece of gaming history the Channel F is a cool system to own. But for the casual collector/gamer there really isn't anything on this console really worth playing. It's a fun novelty today. But if you love those wood grain finish consoles then it's a must have.   

Let me know what you think, should I continue with more reviews and what console would you like me to do next? I may pick one you guys pick or I might just do it in a somewhat order of how they came out. I don't know yet how often I'll have the time to write one of these but I'll have one up as often as I can.   :D

Leave reply's on your experience with the Channel F with finding, collecting and playing games. I'd love to hear them.  :D   

By the numbers: on Vgcollect, 15 people own a model 1 while only 5 own a model 2.

Past Reviews:
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:41:26 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: My 8-Bits: Fairchild Channel F
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:14 am »
Very cool, as usual. Nice piece of history there. I've read all about these but I've never had the opportunity to play one. I'm curious as hell about how the controller work.

theflea

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:33:16 am »
Think of it as a handle with a knob joystick. The Joystick can move in any direction and it auto centers. (geez even Channel F beat Atari 5200's controller.) lol
The controller has technically four buttons, where you ask?
you can twist the knob slightly to the left and right and it auto centers.
Push down on the stick for one (similar to the ps3/xb360 stick click)
and Pull up on the stick for the other.   
"Happy game hunting!!!"

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:02:04 am »
I would love to add this system to my collection one day.  Cool part of gaming history!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:02:23 pm »
I used to have one of these ages ago. The controllers are really cool. You can twist the knob, tilt it like a joystick, or press it down like a button. Considering it's simple appearance, it's a pretty ingenious design.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:38:15 pm »
It's amazing that you still have the boxes for these, even!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:01 am »
It's amazing that you still have the boxes for these, even!

Very cool write-up. Keep them coming. I read every one that you do.

I'd just keep rolling them out as you see fit. I like the idea of going through by release date, but this is your baby. I'm just glad it's out there for me to read.