Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 65198 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #450 on: December 23, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »
45 - Jotun (PC) - 3 Hours BEAT - Now this is a fun little game.  I've wanted it for awhile, but never hit the point of actually picking it up, but a good sale will do that and I'm glad I did.  It's very short and it's not a hard game really, but I loved all the Nordic lore used and the hand drawn animation looks pretty great.  It's slightly Zelda-like in that you have your levels you go into, get the runes that are basically boss keys, and then fight the boss, using abilities you've picked up in the levels.  There's almost no enemies to fight, other than 2 levels that have them, each of the 5 zones having two separate areas to explore in each one.  It's more about just revealing this old mythology and maneuvering around stage hazards.  Combat is real basic, but I'm fine with basic if it works with the gameplay and I think it does mostly.  I'd certainly recommend it, especially now that it's 5 bucks on sale on Steam.

« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
Met my goal yesterday by beating my 104th game this year.

I was cutting it kind of close, a lot of stuff over the past 6 months has really killed my ratio, but I still met my goal.

I had planned to have my goal get hit real easy with some of the PS4 games I had been playing and was planning on playing, but after my drive got wiped, I'm done with the PS4 for the time being.  Returning a lot of X-mas presents just because I can't be bothered to keep games that I'm not going to play.  Going to take roughly 25 days to recover my data, assuming the data actually gets recovered.

telly

« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2016, 12:26:07 pm »
Game 31 - Ori and The Blind Forest (Xbox One) - 11 Hours

+ The gameplay was what really made this game fun. The power ups, moves and metroidvania style platforming was really refreshing. I loved playing and exploring all the environments and secrets; I didn't want to put the game down! The game also has an excellent soundtrack and art style. Everything just plays and looks fantastic. I also thought the story had a lot of touching moments; though it was simple, it fits the style of the game. The difficulty was also perfect.

- I really don't have a lot of negative things to say, just an overall solid experience.

This will probably be the last game I finish for the challenge, unless I can beat a couple Metal Slug games or maybe something else off Rare Replay

Back to my list
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:33:17 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #453 on: December 25, 2016, 03:45:46 am »
And it looks like I'm only making 45.  I'm gonna finish up Doom probably today I hope, then maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so my completion count will be a little better.  I could rush out some short games I probably have, but I never really wanted to rush my list, I wanted to just play games as I wanted to, so I'm not gonna rush out like 7 games in this last week lol I might do possibly one or two others as I got Furi as a gift from a friend, but that might be it and won't make 52. 

I'm pretty satisfied this year though as I did way better than last. Looking back, I only made it to 31 games played last time, so making it to 45 isn't bad at all.

« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2016, 03:47:43 am »
Decided to test drive one of my XMAS presents and given it is Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop two rolled up in the same package I was able to beat it in under and hour. Another one down. And I was worried I wouldn't even reach 52 :p

60. Virtua Cop Rebirth (PS2): While the arcade gameplay is in tact, the graphics have been updated quite a bit; I might be the only one who has a soft spot for early 3D graphics, but it is something I sort of missed while playing this more polished version. The Guncon 2 does a good enough job of reproducing the feel of playing this in an arcade, although to be honest it is only about 80% as accurate as the arcade. While not debilitating, it does become annoying at times, specifically when an enemy is hiding towards the far left of the screen; no amount of calibration I could do could correct this either. Overall it's still a great arcade port and a welcome update to the otherwise dated graphics. BTW, this review applies to both VC and VC2.

« Reply #455 on: December 25, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
Met my goal yesterday by beating my 104th game this year.

I was cutting it kind of close, a lot of stuff over the past 6 months has really killed my ratio, but I still met my goal.

I had planned to have my goal get hit real easy with some of the PS4 games I had been playing and was planning on playing, but after my drive got wiped, I'm done with the PS4 for the time being.  Returning a lot of X-mas presents just because I can't be bothered to keep games that I'm not going to play.  Going to take roughly 25 days to recover my data, assuming the data actually gets recovered.
Turns out PS+ backed up my game saves regularly, so I may jump back into Watch_Doge 2 after X-mas.

But my wife's save data is currently gone, and she was almost at the end of Until Dawn.  P.T. is gone.  Any captures are gone.

The repair and recovery process "finished" this morning by erroring out.  The file was accessible, so I tried another restore, still claims corruption.

I tried uploading the file to Google drive and re-downloading it and seeing if that did anything as some other folks claimed results with that.  I'm currently in the process of moving the data to a 3rd drive to attempt to run a restore from a drive that has a stand alone power supply and a similar formatting to the original backup drive.

« Reply #456 on: December 26, 2016, 02:21:19 am »
41 - Doom (PC) - 10 Hours BEAT - Pushed through to beat this and gotta say I wasn't super impressed.  Not that this is a bad game, I can't think of a bad thing I could really say about it, it's actually a well done and good game, but for the hype people put on it, I didn't get that.  Saw a lot of "best shooter in years", when I would say that I think Wolfenstein brought this style back and did it better.  Doom is better if you just want a lot of quick big dumb action, but fighting the waves of enemies got kinda boring after a short bit and I'm really glad I dropped the difficulty to normal or I would've gone mad during a few of the last levels and I wasn't even on the hardest of the difficulties, I was on like 3 of 5 lol

I think I'm just losing interest in these style of shooters.  Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior 2 were just alright, Doom was fine, there isn't anything else like this I'm interested in, but I feel like I could do another Wolfenstein, but not sure I'd do another Doom.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:29:56 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telly

« Reply #457 on: December 26, 2016, 07:06:31 pm »
Game 32 - Pokemon Moon (3DS) - 43 Hours

Finished the main story of Pokemon Moon yesterday. I have a lot of thoughts about it, because this is my first Pokemon game since White version. So, I’m splitting this up into some more detailed categories. I am excited to get into all the postgame stuff! Sorry for the long post.

Things I liked
- The region. Alola is so beautiful and varied, it really takes your breath away. The environments are well designed and interesting.
- The characters. Because of the island challenge, I felt like a lot of the characters in this game got more screen time and development. I liked the Professor and Lillie especially. The captains all that their interesting quirks and traits.
- The new Pokemon. I thought the nailed a lot of the new designs! Some of my favorites were Mimikyu, Rockruff, Toucannon, Mareine, Decidueye, Crabrawler and many others.
- Poke Pelago! This is such a fun minigame thing. It's fun to train your pokemon, gather treasure, explore caves and grow berries.
- Pokemon Refresh. This is such a cool feature. It's not forced on you, but it's so immersive and fun to do. You really feel like you are growing more and interacting with your Pokemon instead of just using them to battle only.
- No HMS! It's so nice to not have to load up your party pokemon with a bunch of HMS just to navigate through the world.

Things I both liked and disliked
- Team Skull. I love their aesthetic, it's funny and cleverly done. However, what the heck are they even here for? It seemed like they had no purpose for existing as a group unlike other teams in B/W or Ruby/Sapphire, etc.
- The Alolan forms. My favorites were Marowak, and the Sandshrew / Vulpix lines. I will say however that the majority of them I found were worse than the originals or otherwise did not change my opinion about them. And also, why the heck is Alolan Exeggutor dragon type??  ??? ??? Ridiculous.
- The story. I don't want to spoil the story, so I'll just say that there is a detour in the last few hours of the game that I just found really stupid and the motivations of the main antagonist suddenly made no sense to me. I do however like the overall progression of the story. The whole island challenge thing really helps with that. Speaking of which...
- The Island Challenges. I like that there are no gyms because it makes the game flow more and it fits the story better. However, the challenges themselves were pitifully easy or otherwise nonexistent. I really think that this feature has a lot of potential, but it was somewhat poorly executed.

Things I was neutral about
- Z-moves. They were cool, they make the battles more interesting, but weren't super overbearing. They're just kind of there to use if you want to.
- Battle Royale. It was cool, I just didn't play it enough to form an opinion about it.

Things I disliked

- The SOS system. Screw this feature. It's fine when you're trying to train, but it's so annoying when you're trying to catch something since you can't capture a Pokemon when there are two on the field! You have to take out one, and when you do, the first calls in another buddy since their at low health because your trying to capture them! I liked this feature in DQVIII and Earthbound, but in those games you had a party of 4.
- There is a lot of lag during double battles. Even on the New 3DS it is still very prevalent, though thankfully it’s only during the double battles with another trainer.
- Gladion. He's such a angst filled whiner. And that stupid pose that he makes whenever you talk to him. So dumb.
- The very slow, controlled start and the hundreds of free handouts you get from pretty much everyone you meet really made me feel like I was being treated like a child, lol.
- Your character's unchanging, unwavering, dopey smile. Every scene... every situation... While every other character has really nice inflection and facial animations, yours never changes... make it stop!

Back to my list

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:22:40 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

« Reply #458 on: December 26, 2016, 11:53:25 pm »
46 - Furi (PC) - 2 Hours PLAYING - Frustrating game lol It's centered around a boss rush, where there is nothing in between the fights and the boss fights are quite long.  It mixes the bullet hell of a space shooter with the hack and slash of an action game.  It's reasonably well done, but trying to figure out the timing for parrying strikes is proving annoying.  On the third fight now and every time I lose a bar of life, it resets back a good bit and is abit tedious, so I don't get a lot of time to figure out the timing which is murdering me.  None of it is quite Bloodborne hard or anything like that so far, just long battles that change as you go through, so you regularly have to adjust to new movesets, abilities, and different attack times.  Also the downtime between fights is kinda lame.  You just walk slow as this other guy talks about who you just fought or who you will fight.  I understand it, but I think they could've just done cutscenes and cut out the boring walking.  The environments you see as you walk aren't as good as they think it is to make it worth it.  It's not bad, but this is a game that takes all of your concentration.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #459 on: December 31, 2016, 03:17:57 am »
Surprisingly I'm only 11 games away from 52. Wonder if I can bang out 11 games tomorrow before the flip to 2017. :)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2016, 03:19:12 am »
Game 31 - Ori and The Blind Forest (Xbox One) - 11 Hours

+ The gameplay was what really made this game fun. The power ups, moves and metroidvania style platforming was really refreshing. I loved playing and exploring all the environments and secrets; I didn't want to put the game down! The game also has an excellent soundtrack and art style. Everything just plays and looks fantastic. I also thought the story had a lot of touching moments; though it was simple, it fits the style of the game. The difficulty was also perfect.

- I really don't have a lot of negative things to say, just an overall solid experience.

This will probably be the last game I finish for the challenge, unless I can beat a couple Metal Slug games or maybe something else off Rare Replay

Back to my list

Did you play the regular or Definitive edition?

telly

« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2016, 08:54:21 am »
I played the definitive edition. Do you know what the differences are from the original?
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »
I played the definitive edition. Do you know what the differences are from the original?

Some new areas, new secrets, and new abilities, and some convenience adjustments to backtracking and teleporting and such.

shfan

« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2016, 06:19:51 pm »
Blegh, it's 40 minutes till 2017 and I'm stuck on 21. Bring on next year's challenge :D All the best to you guys for 2017

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #464 on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:27 am »
Wooooo I made it!

Played a few more games this week and remembered a few I hadn't counted!

All 52 of mine are on the first page of this thread.

Should I post my 10 best and which I think were the worst?