Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 59633 times)

maximo310

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:09 pm »
A review is up for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD.
Nice review!

If I recall correctly, the ps1 port has a super story mode w/ a point based system based on your time/ remaining health and defeating your opponents in specific ways like the manga and goes through all the battles in part 3. In addition, there was a bunch of unlocklables like mini-games, sound test, cpu battles. etc.
However, the HD version is most likely based on the Dreamcast port, which would explain the lack of unlockables/ stuff to do, while maintaining a near perfect arcade port. The PS1 port does have a lot of cut animation and downgrades to get it to run on the system, but it stinks that the extra stuff wasn't made available on the HD version.

kashell

« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2017, 11:21:23 am »
A review is up for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD.
Nice review!

If I recall correctly, the ps1 port has a super story mode w/ a point based system based on your time/ remaining health and defeating your opponents in specific ways like the manga and goes through all the battles in part 3. In addition, there was a bunch of unlocklables like mini-games, sound test, cpu battles. etc.
However, the HD version is most likely based on the Dreamcast port, which would explain the lack of unlockables/ stuff to do, while maintaining a near perfect arcade port. The PS1 port does have a lot of cut animation and downgrades to get it to run on the system, but it stinks that the extra stuff wasn't made available on the HD version.

Thanks for reading. And, thanks for the info about the various ports. Out of curiosity, I looked to see how much a copy of the PS1 version of the game would cost.

Of course, it's way too much.

« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2017, 07:42:08 pm »
1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3
15. The Wolf Among Us
16. Donkey Kong Country
17. Unravel
18. Never Alone
19. Shadow of the Colossus
20. Fragments of Him
21. Blackwood Crossing
22. Ryse : Son of Rome
23. The Warriors
24. Murdered : Soul Suspect
25. Donkey Kong Country 3
26. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
27. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
28. L.A Noire
29. Shenmue
30. Grand Theft Auto V
31. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
32. Ms Splosion Man
33. Sleeping Dogs
34. Soulcalibur V
35. EA UFC 2
36. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
37. Virtua Fighter 5
38. Soulcalibur III
39. Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days
40. Space Channel 5
41. Tekken 7
42. Dead or Alive 4
43. Bloody Roar : Primal Fury
44. Soulcalibur II
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:01:52 am by chrismb »

telly

« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2017, 11:11:39 am »
Game 16 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) - 9 Hours

+ I have to say, I think this is one of the best games the Wii U has to offer, because it takes full advantage of the Wii U gamepad. While it only uses the gamepad as another way to view the game, and not in conjunction with the TV, I was playing it exclusively on the gamepad, and wouldn't even turn the TV on at all. It really uses a lot of features like the touch pad, gyroscope for aiming, etc. Anyway, the game has a ton of charm and is a ton of fun to play too. It has adorable graphics, really fun and relaxing music, and fun levels with lots to explore. There's a lot of added content after you beat the main story too.

- My only complaint is how they recycled the boss fights, sometimes up to three times over. I would have liked to see a little more variety there. The game was also very easy, I rarely died, and with all the coins the game throws at you there wasn't a lot of challenge. The challenge comes from trying to find everything in the stage

Back to my list

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:14:09 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

brianthelion

« Reply #394 on: August 07, 2017, 06:31:07 pm »
Do the games have to be games you've never completed before? This would be fun to do for my on-going Game Boy completion project. :)

« Reply #395 on: August 07, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »
Do the games have to be games you've never completed before? This would be fun to do for my on-going Game Boy completion project. :)

There's no real restrictions here, it's mostly a personal goal you set and it can be a lot of different things.  It's also a handy way to keep track of everything you've been playing as my list includes new and old stuff and I still keep things on there even if I've abandoned them or even if they can't be completed as they are technically endless.

kashell

« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2017, 09:58:55 am »
I did some replaying of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. I think it's time to hang up my fighting gloves. I'm so out of practice and have little to no desire to get back to where I once was with that game.

telly

« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2017, 09:13:42 pm »
Game 17 - Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Wii U) - 7 Hours

+ I gotta be honest, I think I liked playing with Plague Knight more than with Shovel Knight. I just loved the freedom with movement with the double jumps and gliding. It made the game so much more fun, and made going back to the OG Shovel Knight a little tough. Either way, the game is still great, good story, awesome gameplay (as already mentioned), great music, and stunning, classic visuals. I also tried some of the challenges too, and those were a good time as well.

- My only knock against this playthrough is I found the upgrades to be kind of useless. I never changed my bombs or casings, used one bust upgrade the whole time (the one that lets you float slowly), and used the big bombs exclusively as my special weapon. Because these upgrades came early or were the default, I never found the need to change anything.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:18:13 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:50 am »
37 - Mega Man 7 (PS4) - BEAT - Another year, another year Mega Man Legacy Collection.  To me, this one feels like an oddball, because only like 2 years before, we got Mega Man X, which was sorta this grand new start for the series after the NES ones, but then they were like "Let's return to that!".  It would be like if after Super Mario World, Nintendo went and made Super Mario 4.  When the current game is the better one, at least IMO, this seems sorta unnecessary. 

Not a bad game in any way, it was overall really enjoyable, nothing too frustrating (except Wiley is really obnoxious and his fights are never fun) and the auto-saving checkpoints are awesome as otherwise I'd never beat these games.  Mega Man is pretty hardcore at the end, getting ready to kill Wiley before Bass and Treble save him and then he walks away from the castle exploding.  Maybe if it was X that would make sense, but the old cutesy Mega Man? Nah, too silly lol

On to Mega Man 8! Just realized this is the one with the anime cutscenes and hilarious dub lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:31:30 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »
1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3
15. The Wolf Among Us
16. Donkey Kong Country
17. Unravel
18. Never Alone
19. Shadow of the Colossus
20. Fragments of Him
21. Blackwood Crossing
22. Ryse : Son of Rome
23. The Warriors
24. Murdered : Soul Suspect
25. Donkey Kong Country 3
26. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
27. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
28. L.A Noire
29. Shenmue
30. Grand Theft Auto V
31. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
32. Ms Splosion Man
33. Sleeping Dogs
34. Soulcalibur V
35. EA UFC 2
36. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
37. Virtua Fighter 5
38. Soulcalibur III
39. Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days
40. Space Channel 5
41. Tekken 7
42. Dead or Alive 4
43. Bloody Roar : Primal Fury
44. Soulcalibur II
45. Injustice 2
46. Fallout 4
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:49:03 am by chrismb »

« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2017, 02:46:36 am »
38 - Slime Rancher (PC) - BEAT - I had Slime Rancher on the list last year as it was an early access title and therefore endless, but it released properly this year, so I started from scratch and went to the end of the adventure mode.  It's a very charming and cute little farm sim game.  It's nothing too in depth, it's not like Stardew Valley, but it's just a chill and casual bit of collecting slimes, farming their little poops, and kinda just exploring this world.  It has a little story to it, nothing too deep, I didn't follow it too well as there isn't anything more than letters between you and Casey and the journals you find of Hobson who had formerly owned the ranch you are on and explored the range previously.  Has a cute ending song too.  It's an enjoyable time if you like games such as this and they are planning to add new areas to the game I believe in future updates.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:50:50 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2017, 08:13:48 am »
Finished Dragon Quest IV and started up Dragon Quest V.

Will likely start on Metroid Prime Trilogy today as well.

telly

« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2017, 11:51:54 pm »
Game 18 - Mighty No. 9 (Wii U) - 13 Hours

+ I mentioned before that this game is not as bad as it was made out to be. And I still stand by that, the gameplay is the probably the best part about it. It's fast and responsive, and the boss fights were pretty fun too. The dash mode is cool and the difficulty was pretty solid.  I like how your special weapons fill up gradually over time. The voice acting was ok too, not too bad for some of the characters.

- However, I think the criticisms of this game are well deserved, and the bad still outweighs the good. Awful graphics, boring level design, glitches, framerate issues, uninspiring stock music, boring story... I've never liked the way Beck looks, the characters have open gaping mouths when they talk, which looks dumb. I barely used any of the special abilities except for in very distinct circumstances and for the final boss. And the insta kill spikes got really old too.

I still think it's worth picking up and playing, but after millions of dollars and 3 years of development, it's really hard to stick up for it.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:55:36 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2017, 09:34:46 am »
Game 18 - Mighty No. 9 (Wii U) - 13 Hours

+ I mentioned before that this game is not as bad as it was made out to be. And I still stand by that, the gameplay is the probably the best part about it. It's fast and responsive, and the boss fights were pretty fun too. The dash mode is cool and the difficulty was pretty solid.  I like how your special weapons fill up gradually over time. The voice acting was ok too, not too bad for some of the characters.

- However, I think the criticisms of this game are well deserved, and the bad still outweighs the good. Awful graphics, boring level design, glitches, framerate issues, uninspiring stock music, boring story... I've never liked the way Beck looks, the characters have open gaping mouths when they talk, which looks dumb. I barely used any of the special abilities except for in very distinct circumstances and for the final boss. And the insta kill spikes got really old too.

I still think it's worth picking up and playing, but after millions of dollars and 3 years of development, it's really hard to stick up for it.

Back to my list

Don't be so hard on ole Beck. 

I don't know if it's because I'm playing the Steam version, but I haven't had any glitching.  The voice acting is stupid; I'll give you that.

telly

« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2017, 10:15:25 am »
Mostly the glitches have been me getting stuck in walls. I imagine that the framerate is probably better on steam too.

Either way, it was still a fun game though! I enjoyed playing it.
Currently Playing: