Author Topic: What Games Or Devices You (Don't) Want In Your Collection Currently? And Why?  (Read 3102 times)

This is a hard question for me to answer because I would like to try all video games eventually,

But in life?

Well I currently don't want games like

1:Manhunt PS2 or PS4
reason: I don't like excessively violent video games

2:Night Trap 32X
Reason: Looks kinda stupid

3: any PS1 or PS2 demo disc
Reason: some of them cause memory card issues.

My Unwanted Consoles:
1: Mattel Intellivision
Reason: I got most of the better games on a PS2 compilation disc and I don't like the Intellivison controller

2: Atari Jaguar:

reason: not too many games were released and I heard it was an un-reliable game console.

3:Sega Saturn:

reason: Too expensive to find games for currently and I am not really into shoot em ups

4: PlayStation 1
Reason: My PlayStation 3 plays all my current PlayStation 1 games and I don't need to buy any memory cards for my PS3. but I would need them with the original PlayStation console.

5: Tiger Handhelds

reason: too simple graphics and stiff controls, (and don't know how to play them)

6: Xbox One
Reason: Can't afford one and the games maybe a limited time.

7: PlayStation 4
reason: not backwards compatible otherwise same as xbox one

HERE IS 4 SIMILAR THREADS I PICKED OUT THAT HAVE ARE SIMILAR ON THIS FORUM

Your Video Game Bucket List
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10161.msg166728.html#msg166728

Your collection since 2010, and what you want your collection to be in 2029

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10548.msg173520.html#msg173520

What are some tips and advice you would give to someone new to retro collecting?

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8759.msg148064.html#msg148064

Your Least Favorite Gaming Device

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9132.0.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:44:07 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Well the obvious answers to everything is "It's not a game style I like" and "It's not a good game to begin with". I'm not really a complete system collector- I'm kinda-sorta trying for a complete Fairchild Channel F collection, but that's only around 30 carts, so cost is the real issue.

There are, however, things I've either owned & given up, or things I want but won't buy. These are:

Atari 5200- got a standalone unit cheap at a thrift store, found out the cables/controllers alone would run abour $100. Given the controller's reputation for failure & the lack of unqiue games, I opted to sell the unit at a retro show rather than get it set up.

Sega 32X- Being a Sega kid back in the day, there's a part of me that wants one of these console warts. The trick is- I'm not sure my setup has the height to accommodate it, the prices are going up, and there's only a couple games that I'm interested in owning (which are all expensive). I just can't justify the effort & expense.

Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD)- If I stumbled across this in a thrift store or what-not, I'd jump all over it, believe me. But paying the actual going rate? I can't justify that- I could take a vacation for that amount of money. This is one that I'll never bother with unless I get lottery-winning lucky someday. *shrugs*

3: any PS1 or PS2 demo disc
Reason: some of them cause memory card issues.

This seems excessive- I mean, I've had/used demo discs all throughout both of those generations (especially PS2), and I've never had any issues. I'm only aware of 2 discs that even had problems- only one of which hurt the memory card, the other was an in-game glitch. Most demos don't even acknowledge the memory card slots.

As long as you avoid the PS2 Holiday 2005 demo (which had 1 pressing with a Viewtiful Joe 2 demo that could reformat cards- it's not even on every version) you're fine. The only other demo with problems I know of is Lunar: Silver Star Story, but it's a very different thing. The developers let you save in the demo & carry progress over to the actual game... but they forgot the demo let you throw away/transfer to Nall any items. This meant it was possible to get rid of Alex's Ocarina, which you needed him to have to beat the game. I remember their website used to say to 'contact them' if you ran into this, I'd love to know how they fixed it.

if you actually plan on playing the games in your collection you really have to pick your battles and become more focused on what you want to collect. When I first began collecting I pretty much wanted to collect everything from the NES up to the current gen consoles. The more I matured as a collector, the more I realized that there were certain consoles I knew I'd never own. it's not because they are completely unattainable or out of my budget, but because I didn't see a lot of point in collecting for them personally. I few examples of this would be the Neo Geo AES, Phillips CDi, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3DO, and the Virtual Boy. These systems certainly have good games on them, however the consoles and many of those games cost way more than I'd ever want to shell out for them given my minimal desire to own and play them.

There are even several consoles I started to collect for and realized I wasn't as into them as I originally thought. These would include the Neo Geo Pocket, Sega CD and partially the NES. And then there are consoles that I knew from the very beginning that I never had any desire to own or play. These would mostly include all the pre-NES consoles; they were way before my time and I've never seen one game outside maybe the Vectrex that I actually thought looked fun.

As for games, I'm pretty much not into collecting sports games with a few exceptions that are either more arcady or because they have some sentimental value to me. For example, I own NHL 2001 and 2007 on the PS2, just because I owned both when I was younger. I'll also add most stealth games, a lot of JRPGs released in the past decade, and a lot of movie tie in games to the list as well. These games just don't appeal to me for the most part and I can't see myself ever playing them which negates me wanting them in my collection.

Warmsignal

I think it's easier to just say that the majority of things I don't own, I don't want in my collection. Such a list would be much, much longer than my actual wishlist. Go into any given retail or game store, and the majority of what is there is not even on my radar to own. Reason mostly being, that I just don't find it appealing.

I generally avoid the systems that aren't Nintendo or Microsoft since I didn't grow up with them and thus have no real attachment to them.

As for games  themselves, sports is typically the genre I avoid the most as I find them both boring and near impossible to differentiate one year's version from the next. Hell, when I hit 500 games in my 360 collection, only 3 of them were sports games.

Anything pre-Nintendo.  There's really nothing interesting going on in those old games/systems.  Like if I got stupid money somehow to go crazy collecting, I'd never even consider buying anything from that era.

ferraroso

Well, I don't think there's any game or console I don't want to have in my collection. As a collector, If I had the time, the money, the space and the overall power to do so, of course I'd like to own a copy of every video game ever released... Haha

But there are some items I don't care to have on my collection... In my case, that's mostly Nintendo stuff. I've never been particularly fond of the company and, until the release of the Wii, most of their games were released in some sort of cardboard box (at least in Japan) making it extremely rare to find good CIB games for the prices I'd like to pay for them...

sworddude

Well, I don't think there's any game or console I don't want to have in my collection. As a collector, If I had the time, the money, the space and the overall power to do so, of course I'd like to own a copy of every video game ever released... Haha

But there are some items I don't care to have on my collection... In my case, that's mostly Nintendo stuff. I've never been particularly fond of the company and, until the release of the Wii, most of their games were released in some sort of cardboard box (at least in Japan) making it extremely rare to find good CIB games for the prices I'd like to pay for them...

Isn't nintendo stuff in japan pretty affordable? first party titles are plentyyfull in japan even cib making it say way cheaper than western stuff. sure prices got up a bit but it's still pretty cheap. Obviously rare stuff exists even in japan like rendering ranger but again you can say that for every console Isn't saturn and especially genesis more pricy in Japan? Genesis didnt do to hot in Japan. Pc engine etc while they did allot better the good stuff is also way more pricy than majority of super famicom.

super famicom has a ton of affordable cheap good stuff right compared to say for sega pc engine saturn in Japan.  Maybe with the exceptions for rpg's since all consoles had those in an abudance so maybe in that case it might be a bit more pricy on super famicom but again rpg's in japan are pretty cheap overall. Is super famicom that pricy compared to other consoles in your experience in Japan? its not dirt cheap like it used to be before tourists but that's not only with super famicom i'd imagine.

or is it more of a problem with say gamecube since ps2 era is overall dirt cheap in Japan. Also say gamecube are there actually rare games for that system on Japan. since aside from hyped stuff like fire emblem or the lower prices first party titles  i don't see it being that pricy. Japanese Ps2 on the other hand while a ton of stuff is dirt cheap has some sought after stuff that western people want.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:25:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

theflea

Pretty much the only platform I avoid and don't buy is PC/MAC/DOS games.
The main reason is they are a pain to get working especially as they age and I really don't want 15 different computers with every OS to run everything. Plus nowadays most PC games only only digital. It's really the only platform I don't collect for.

The only other games I avoid are Download only games, reason should be obvious, I don't want psychical games to die so I won't support Digital only games. Ya i know it's slowly happening yadda yadda... But I just can't.

I will pretty much collect any game on a console, handheld and even older console computers (Atari, Commodore, TI, etc)
I even pick up the "offensive" ones mainly because I like showing people the weird games that existed. lol

"Happy game hunting!!!"

Isn't nintendo stuff in japan pretty affordable?

I think it's the condition end of things- I'm not remotely fluent, but I know enough Japanese to poke around Amazon Japan & Yahoo Auctions. I recently got myself a small famicom collection, and opted to get Devil World CIB becuase I like to have at least one per system & it's so common it's even dirt cheap from US sources. It still took a week to find a box that wasn't falling apart or 10 times the cost of a cart. I guess nice cardboard is expensive no matter where you live.

The main reason is they are a pain to get working especially as they age and I really don't want 15 different computers with every OS to run everything. Plus nowadays most PC games only only digital. It's really the only platform I don't collect for.

I'm with you on that one, actually- I tend to even forget about PC as a platform, quite frankly! It feels more like a completely different kind of product... like comparing videogames to board games.

jeffmandm

The only system I've been actively avoiding (surprising, given the few games I have for the console) is the Wii U. It's not that I think the system's bad at all (because it really isn't but I'll avoid debating it) but it's more that I burned myself out on the Wii U when the Switch was announced in mid-2016, and the games for Wii U that I wanted to play are either on other systems or a lot of Nintendo games have been ported to switch, making the WU versions irrelevant. I'd like to get rid of it but my gamepad's broken and since I can't reset the system settings without it working I've had to keep it and it's just catching dust. Would've been better off getting a PS3 or 360 at the time, but it never occurred to me until the switch console trailers started coming out.

I sold all of my Atari stuff a couple of years ago.  I just didn’t see myself ever doing anything with it, so out it went.

The main reason is they are a pain to get working
especially as they age and I really don't want 15 different computers with every OS to run everything. Plus nowadays most PC games only only digital. It's really the only platform I don't collect for.

The only other games I avoid are Download only games, reason should be obvious, I don't want psychical games to die so I won't support Digital only games. Ya i know it's slowly happening yadda yadda... But I just can't.

I will pretty much collect any game on a console, handheld and even older console computers (Atari, Commodore, TI, etc)
I even pick up the "offensive" ones mainly because I like showing people the weird games that existed. lol

well you could even use a Windows 10 modern PC, put the CD in the disc drive and highlight every file on the disc or floppy, and then copy everything on the floppy or CDROM into a, new folder and download and install "DOSbox" here, https://www.dosbox.com/
 :)

(how to create a new folder on any PC windows 95 or newer)

1: right click you mouse on any windows PC desktop screen than
2:scroll to the new section on the menu that pops up
3:and click "folder"
4:than put everything into that new folder

once you or anyone else does that here is a tutorial to do the rest (DOSBOX is free)
https://www.howtogeek.com/104725/how-to-use-dosbox-to-run-dos-games-and-old-apps/

OR JUST BUY AN OLDER PC WITH WINDOWS 98 ON IT THAT WAY YOU CAN INSTALL ALL YOUR GAMES, WITHOUT THE HASSLE  ;)

1:Start
2: accessories
3: MS/DOS
4: and read the manual on the older games to learn further

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:54:50 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

especially as they age and I really don't want 15 different computers with every OS to run everything. Plus nowadays most PC games only only digital. It's really the only platform I don't collect for.

well you could even use a Windows 10 modern PC, put the CD in the disc drive and highlight every file on the disc or floppy, and then copy everything on the floppy or CDROM into a, new folder and download and install "DOSbox" here, https://www.dosbox.com/

once you or anyone else does that here is a tutorial to do the rest (DOSBOX is free)
https://www.howtogeek.com/104725/how-to-use-dosbox-to-run-dos-games-and-old-apps/

OR JUST BUY AN OLDER PC WITH WINDOWS 98 ON IT THAT WAY YOU CAN INSTALL ALL YOUR GAMES, WITHOUT THE HASSLE  ;)

i'm pretty sure he doesnt want to open a big can of worms

console libraries are big but they pale in comparison to pc. maybe if you only collect pc big box stuff but even than. fullset collecting for pc is quite the task.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:23:52 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

i'm pretty sure he doesnt want to open a big can of worms

console libraries are big but they pale in comparison to pc. maybe if you only collect pc big box stuff but even than. fullset collecting for pc is quite the task.

that is understandable :)

NO APPS NEEDED