Author Topic: What Are Your Current Gaming Preference/Tastes  (Read 1495 times)

What Are Your Current Gaming Preference/Tastes
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:34:57 am »
My gamming and collecting tastes are mostly games that mostly appeal to an older audience. meaning retro Games that are usually first person shooters, or racing or sports video games. I  love The Sims 2 and
 The Sims 3 series on the PC. I also enjoy old arcade games on compilations, and hockey and basketball. many who follow me know I love golf games a lot. too  :)

I'm currently not much into 2D or 3D platformers. or puzzle games or RPG's or survival horror unless it's Doom. I am currently not into 3rd person shooters as much, but I'm sure as time goes on my gaming tastes might change. I am happy with my collection since what I have is what I like.

My favorite consoles to play on

Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2 PlayStation 3 Xbox original, Xbox 360, and plug in play consoles like the minis
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:37:25 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

stealthrush

Re: What Are Your Current Gaming Preference/Tastes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:24:35 pm »
My gaming and collecting taste are shoot'em ups /bullet-hell , 2D fighting /tag-based , puzzle /competitive. Classic arcade video game genres that test your reflexes, memorization, that feature a versus mode (or cooperation mode) that focus on high scores.

I also enjoy 2D platform, 3D fighting, RPG, strategy, brawler occasionally.

My least favorite genres include anything realistic especially first-person perspective games. FPS, simulators, action-adventure, adventure, sandbox /open-world, point and click, visual novel.

My favorite consoles to play on

Sega Saturn, PC Engine Duo, PlayStation 1, Sega Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, and Xbox 360 besides on PC and handheld Nintendo DS.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:20:58 pm »
I used to love rpg/adverture,platform,fighting or horror games but now my tastes have changed to strategy,tower defense,flight sim,racing,fps and I still love a good horror game.Not sure why my gaming preference changed but it might have somthingto do with not being able to invest lots of time to one huge rpg or adventure game anymore.

My favorite consoles to play are
Snes,Dreamcast,Ps2,Xbox 360,Xbox One,Ds

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:30:37 pm »
When I play, I have always preferred story-driven games:  RPGs.  Games by Naughty Dog, Telltale, etc.

Very few online games are able to scratch that itch.  Id say Final Fantasy XI and XIV have the most interesting plot.  World of Warcraft and Everquest not so much.

I still love the old school point-and-click adventure games, with the Kyrandia trilogy being my all time fav.

Every now and then you'll get a good story driven shooter... the Half-Life series, Bioshock, the first Dead Space.  But most of those kind of games are just murder and carnage with a plot just kind of tacked on to trick gamers like me into buying them.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:36:06 pm »
I want good single-player campaigns, mostly. Something that will last me a while and I can sink my teeth into. I do tend to prefer open-world stuff like Skyrim; but good ones can be few and far-in-between so I have no problem with a good smaller single-player campaign, either. I don't hate FPS games, love the Halos and Wolfensteins in particular, but I usually stay far away from military shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield. I just don't do multiplayer. So I'm definitely not a typical modern gamer.

As for old-school, I do go back to action-RPGs, Metroidvanias, and shoot-em ups a lot. I'm also a sucker for a good 2D platformer like the Marios, Sonics, and Ducktales games for example.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:38:25 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:42:08 am »
I kinda play abit of everything these days, but generally I'm looking for shooters and action adventure games.  For shooters, it would be third person or first person, so third person stuff would be more often than not singleplayer games, so Resident Evil 2 Remake and Last of Us 2, or in first person, it's both singleplayer and multiplayer, which would be Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, or the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, and games like Battlefield or Warzone in Modern Warfare.  Action Adventure is kinda broad, but generally are kinda RPG'ish and open world to some degree, so like Monster Hunter World, Ghost of Tsushima, or Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

I don't play a lot of retro games these days, mostly just get sprinkled about my playtime, like I just played through the old Shock Troopers arcade games, or I think it was last year I played the Castlevania collection.  I mostly only do retro/old school games if they get re-released in nice collections.  I generally don't want to play on classic hardware as I want things like save states or better quality visuals and controls.  If the Mario 3D All-Stars Collection was a better collection, I'd probably be playing that right now.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:44:58 am »
Personaly save states do ruin the fun for allot of retro games. Same thing for endless credits in a beat em up shoot em up.

The only good thing about save states is that you can come back to certain spots instead of using a password or lvl select. I do get why save states are popular. I will say though it's nice to practice certain spots. but to use it to actually beat the game kills the enjoyment for me. Where is the fun in resetting a spot 20 times to get through a certain part instead of getting good. Could you imagine save states in other games at every second.

I have seen people complain about not having save states in mario 64 or sunshine  :P It's optional at least so no harm there.

Lvl selects or pass words are nice but save states are a no go for me unless I really want to practice a certain spot.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 06:22:51 am »
Personaly save states do ruin the fun for allot of retro games. Same thing for endless credits in a beat em up shoot em up.

The only good thing about save states is that you can come back to certain spots instead of using a password or lvl select. I do get why save states are popular. I will say though it's nice to practice certain spots. but to use it to actually beat the game kills the enjoyment for me. Where is the fun in resetting a spot 20 times to get through a certain part instead of getting good. Could you imagine save states in other games at every second.

I have seen people complain about not having save states in mario 64 or sunshine  :P It's optional at least so no harm there.

Lvl selects or pass words are nice but save states are a no go for me unless I really want to practice a certain spot.

I wouldn't have gotten through the old Mega Man games had I not had save states.  I would usually save before the boss so that I wouldn't have to keep redoing the level over and over and again when I would die.  I just don't have the patience for some of the old designs these days and I would more likely just drop the game if I didn't have save states for certain games.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:51:16 am »
My preferences/tastes have remained the same. My personal favorites are RPGs and shmups, but I also like action/adventure, platformers, stealth, beat 'em ups, hack and slash, as well as strategy; and within these I like Metroidvania, run and gun, and open world as well. I used to disfavor FPS, but I learned to appreciate them, so I'm willing to give them a try as long as they offer more than just multiplayer. Fighting games I tend to like as well, but I tend to favor their soundtracks more than anything else. And lastly, I also enjoy a good puzzler from time to time.

The NES, SNES, Game Boys, NDS, the Wii, and both the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 have been so far my favorite consoles to play games on. I have been wanting to expand my horizons and get other consoles, like a Dreamcast and one of the Xboxes, but all in due time.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 09:11:47 am »

I wouldn't have gotten through the old Mega Man games had I not had save states.  I would usually save before the boss so that I wouldn't have to keep redoing the level over and over and again when I would die.  I just don't have the patience for some of the old designs these days and I would more likely just drop the game if I didn't have save states for certain games.

Yeah, it depends completely on the generosity of the checkpoint system to me.  If it's only like one screen back and it'll only take a minute to get back to where I was, that's fine - right before Dracula in the OG Castlevania is a great example of this.  BUT if I'm about get sent back to the beginning of a level I know I can beat from a Game Over (ya'know, cause I'm already at the end), or unforgiving checkpoints like the end of Ninja Gaiden or Batman?  Save states all the way.

Sword, you asked what the fun in playing the same section over and over again 20 times without getting good?  What do you think I'm doing during those 20 attempts?  I'd rather spend all that time practicing the section that I need to practice, not 10-20 minutes going through the part I know can already get through.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 10:11:35 am »

Yeah, it depends completely on the generosity of the checkpoint system to me.  If it's only like one screen back and it'll only take a minute to get back to where I was, that's fine - right before Dracula in the OG Castlevania is a great example of this.  BUT if I'm about get sent back to the beginning of a level I know I can beat from a Game Over (ya'know, cause I'm already at the end), or unforgiving checkpoints like the end of Ninja Gaiden or Batman?  Save states all the way.

Sword, you asked what the fun in playing the same section over and over again 20 times without getting good?  What do you think I'm doing during those 20 attempts?  I'd rather spend all that time practicing the section that I need to practice, not 10-20 minutes going through the part I know can already get through.

I know of people who even use save states during mini sections of stages or to avoid moves from bosses mid fight and beat them that way using save states almost every second. everyone can play it their way but it would kill the fun for me personally to use a reset button at almost all times.

Eitherway i did say that save states are nice to practice certain spots to indeed save some time I don't find it all bad.

Also it's just my opinion, It's perfectly fine that people enjoy save states. It's optional at the very end of the day so no harm there more options can never hurt after all.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:21:03 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 09:10:26 pm »
I used to use cheats on almost all games, but I don't anymore, or at least not lately. But at the time the cheats didn't really ruin the fun for some of my games, because since I was just learning how to play a certain game at the time I used cheats, years have passed and I no longer use cheats on any game. and I found that playing a video game without cheats is a good excuse to replay a game and have a new better experience,

Both Cheating and save states I guess can go hand in hand, but sometimes it's just fun to activate invincibility and mow down the enemies on a hard difficulty mode in games like Duke Nukem 3D,

I memorized all the levels in Duke Nukem 3D so last month I made an another attempt to play the full game like it should be played and without any cheat codes. and I succeeded. But I did use save states since if I died without using any stave states than I would have to restart the current level even boss levels. with all my guns, ammo, and armor, taken away every single time I made  a mistake

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:16:28 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 11:08:31 am »
For a while now, most of the games I play are arcade games or games that would fit in inside an arcade. So pretty much SHMUPS, fighting games, racing games, puzzle games, rhythm games, and rail/lightgun shooters. I unfortunately lack the time to tackle really time consuming games due to work and personal life stuff, but I still enjoy tackling a few RPGs or Action Adventure games each year.

telekill

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 11:28:43 am »
As many of you, retro games will always remain fun to me.

As for more modern games, I enjoy narrative driven action adventure games in third person. Basically the Playstation stable of first party exclusives. I also enjoy fun cooperative multiplayer games online though those seem more rare these days.