Author Topic: Super Nintendo/Super Famicom Games Discussion and Favorites  (Read 5302 times)

Super Nintendo/Super Famicom Games Discussion and Favorites
« on: September 20, 2019, 07:11:07 pm »
I just searched the forum and I saw, that even though many of you have SNES games in your possession we never had a dedicated thread for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom console.

Personally I know almost nothing about the games for this device, All I know is everyone seems to collect for it yet none seem to  talk about it's games or their quality. or Maybe I am not looking in the right places?

Even After viewing a few classic game room reviews I still feel that this system has a lot of low quality games in my opinion. especially the sports games like NHL Stanley Cup and NFL or Madden something I forgot. that have graphics that just watching the videos from the CGR Undertow those speciffic graphics in the videos made me sick as the guy felt the same way,

I never was interested in Mario games in the past, but  I do like"The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past"
I used to own a lot of fun Super Nintendo games like Mortal Kombat 1, NBA JAM. But I later found out that all my favorite Super Nintendo games except for Doom, are also on the Sega Genesis

1: Doom for the Super Nintendo
2: NBA Jam for the Super Nintendo

I plan on getting Super Mario world and Super Mario Kart, but any information about Super Nintendo games I would like to hear about

I don't favor the Super Nintendo and currently think it is somewhat overrated, But that is because I don't know what games are decent on it beside Mario and the one Zelda game.

Finally I want to ask have you played with any of your your Super Nintendo games lately? and also what are your favorites for this console?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:14:45 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Super Nintendo/Super Famicom Games Discussion and Favorites
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:47 pm »
Lots of great game on snes here are some of my favorites
Super Metriod
Super Mario World
Breath of Fire 1 & 2
Final Fantasy II & III
Actraiser
Donky Kong Country
Contra lll
Kirby Super Star
T.M.N.T Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
F-Zero

These are some of the most popular
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:05:41 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:00:16 pm »
There's a lot of games on SNES I like
Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War
Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem
Fire Emblem Thracia 776
Final Fantasy VI
Shin Megami Tensei
Majin Tensei
Der Langrisser
Trials of Mana
Super Mario World
Chrono Trigger
Gemfire
Super Mario RPG
--
I was playing Majin Tensei (strategy RPG with Megami Tensei demons) and I was liking it a lot but then I started to focus on other things like school. Also, NFL Quarterback Club '96 (SNES version at least) has a really good ost for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:19:26 pm by hatkid »

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:06:54 pm »
I had both systems as a kid (yeah, I was one of those kids lol), but I always preferred the Genesis and still do. With that said, I still loved my SNES back then and appreciate it way more now then I did back then. As a kid my absolute favorite games for it were DKC, DKC2, Megaman X, and Super Street Fighter. I really didn't have a lot of games for it and certainly never played any of the RPGs until I was much older and into collecting. After getting into collecting I've played a lot more of the must play games like Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, Super Mario World, and Final Fight, and I love all of them. There are so, so may other SNES games I need to play and intend on playing in the near future.

stealthrush

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 01:25:35 am »
Grew up with NES, and SNES as kid- I would play Genesis at my neighbors house. Since SNES had a large library of software its natural you'll come across more than a handful of stinkers, although Nintendo had a seal of quality which resulted at minimum, fully playable (mostly glitch-free), decent games. Then again Nintendo has more censorship compared to Sega Genesis, so depending on your age with each system comes into factor.

Early on it became apparent certain developers, besides Nintendo, were creating some phenomenal software that I would keep an eye out for; Squaresoft, Konami, Capcom, for example. Although at the time competitors were releasing superior versions of arcade ports, SNES watered-down versions were still enjoyable. Nintendo's focus on developing games for their home console compared to only bringing over ports was one strong point. Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda, Donky Kong Country, and from other developers Mega Man X, Castlevania etc.

A few personal favorites of mine growing up:

-Kirby Super Star, and Kirby's Dream Land 3
-Mega Man X, X2, X3, and 7
-Chrono Trigger
-Pocky & Rocky, 2
-Metal Warriors
-Secret of Mana
-Killer Instinct
-Street Fighter Alpha 2
-Rocky Rodent
-Plok

As for Super Famicom, like I mentioned earlier with such a vast library of software, similar to PlayStation 2, dozens of games are fair but plenty are spectacular and enjoyable for their time - today (thanks to fan-translations).

Many SNES games were eventually brought over to GBA down the line, years later we're seeing re-releases, or new games in a series which begun on SNES.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:31:44 am by stealthrush »

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 07:48:24 pm »
SNES is my favourite console of all time. It had some absolutely amazing games from every genre.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »
The mario titles are great and all but i'm more of a mario 64 and up guy.

3d mario is where it's at. mario withouth Charles Martinet's voice it's just not the same it's good but i like them 3d mario's a hell lot better except for the ones in the wii u era mario 3d world is meh.

my personal favourites on the snes from what i've played are

hagane
sparkster
axelay
act raiser II

and from some of he more popular ones

contra III
super ghouls n ghosts
super castlevania

Great system but in terms of shoot em ups and action platformers arcade games in general It's kinda lacking compared to the sega genesis/ megadrive imo.

snes shines in especially the rpg and iconic mascots department though
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:03:00 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:16:35 pm »
The SNES is one of the greatest video game systems of all time. It's an "endless ocean of quality" as an old friend of mine used to say.

There's many games on that system I favor, but if I had to choose one it would be A Link to the Past.

There's a ton of written reviews on Super Nintendo games in my signature below if anyone cares to look.

telly

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:52 pm »
Personally I prefer the platform and action games on SNES over it's RPGs. I've played Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, FF V and VI, and Earthbound, and just haven't enjoyed them as much as PS1 and up JRPGs. Chrono Trigger is the only one that I think is truly excellent

Would like to replay FF VI though to see if there was something I missed the first time I beat it
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 09:08:13 pm »
Super Metroid
Zelda: LTTP
Donkey Kong Country (All 3 are great, but I’m partial to the first.)
Super Mario World/All Stars
Earthbound

Everything else is just extra.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 12:59:44 am »
Right now I'd have to say my favorites are mostly the games I played as a kid.

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch Out
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshi's Island
Sunset Riders
Faceball 2000

Make no mistake, I do think it's a very good system but even then, I think it's overrated. I feel like many killer app lists nowadays are somewhat embellished.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 05:34:12 am »
Right now I'd have to say my favorites are mostly the games I played as a kid.

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch Out
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshi's Island
Sunset Riders
Faceball 2000

Make no mistake, I do think it's a very good system but even then, I think it's overrated. I feel like many killer app lists nowadays are somewhat embellished.

can we really say that the snes is over rated considering that it's one of the few consoles with the best 16 bit games of it's era?

snes along with genesis are top picks thanks to there large library of them 16 bit games

what are your other options saturn or ps1 with their 32 bit games. admittedtly some excellent games there but a way smaller library since the focus was on 3d not 2d. even for saturn.

and than you have pc engine turbografx in wich the grapics are usually worse and games that look comparable or better than some above average snes games are very rare but same can be said for the snes in wich the highs are way better looking than even those pc engine games

the sound on pc engine it's lacking in comparison unless you have the cd rom option but that's like saturn teritory if cd options are included.

neo geo aes some great games on there but mostly 2d fighting games.

if your looking for 2d fighting games sure 32 bit way to go. but otherwise it's kinda hard to say that the snes is over rated since it has one of the biggest 16 bit libraries not to mention some of the best games released in the 16 bit era

sure you could fit in lookalike retro indi games of today with them modern day features implemented but even than i disagree not to mention were talking about retro consoles not modern ones.

even if we would only include the first party titles on snes super mario world yoshi's island link to the past super metroid for those reason alone it's kinda hard to say that the snes is over rated with such classics wich can not be found on any other retro console not to mention zelda and mario both being top quality series to this very day usually having the best games for the system.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:25:18 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »
I just looked at Some SNES games on amazon.com, I seen Super Mario Cart and Super Mario world used

(from multiple sellers) for under $20 USD. that's impressive, for how high those 2 super Nintendo cartridges went for in 2015-2016.

But I did see that amazon.com themselves I think, not sure. but I think amazon themselves was selling the same  game of Super Mario Kart new for $300 USD the price of a modern console, and they were selling it used used for $80 today!

You can buy one,  and sometimes two, new atgames consoles for the price
going for $80,

I would never pay $300 for any new or used video game no matter how rare it was, for that price I could buy a whole lot of other games or even a brand new Xbox One  or PlayStation 4 new
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:20:57 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 12:34:34 pm »
If you’re not opposed to it, look into a SNES classic. It will get you a lot of the most popular games, and a few fairly expensive ones too, for a fraction of the price. 
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

megasilverx1

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »
Other than the bigger games, some of my favorite SNES/SFC games are:

Zoop
Mario's Super Picross
Super Adventure Island II
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Super Tetris 3
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
True Lies
Astro Go! Go!
Super Game Boy (not a game, bit it really opens up your library of games to play on SNES)

If you have a Super Scope, Yoshi's Safari is pretty fun too.