Author Topic: Have You Ever Gotten Into Any Traditional Modern Or Retro Sports Video Games?  (Read 2107 times)

I know I've made a lot of these kinds of threads before on sports video games.

an older one is listed in the link below.

I know I don't really like to many of the modern ones (past the 6th generation of consoles) because I have no nostalgia for them. I really enjoy most sports games really a lot. I love to hear the cheer and the booing of the crowd when I score and win a game. The Mid 2000's is my favorite era of Ice Hockey and Golf video games, I enjoy basketball games even Double Dribble for the NES. in which is probably my favorite sports game for the 1980's era of sports video games.

(why I like sports video games so much here is part of the reason why)
I never was an athlete in real life, and growing up I had no friends to play any kind of sports in real life, even the gym teacher (in elementary school) would kick me off the (real life) game because he didn't like me I guess, I could not ever run fast like the other kids, I could never keep up. Even though I was not over weight. I could race with my bike fine. but I never could run without being out of breath.

I know that a lot of sports games require a taste but I am out right curious, am I the only one active on this forum that has fun with sports video games?

(Why Are Sports Video Games Frowned Upon) that link is below
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10114.msg166103.html#msg166103
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

The only traditional sports game I was into for a time was the MLB The Show franchise. While difficult at times, it gave off a sense of accomplishment when you are able to nail a hit or even better a home run. What set this franchise apart is that its more like a sim style baseball experience where you really have to pay attention when you are at bat as well as pitching. I havent play one in years but I have no problem going back to whatever the latest one is.

Aside from that, I never really got into other sports games since I was more of a baseball as a kid so that stuck with me as well as the game. That said, I have played and enjoyed some of the over the top sports games of those sports like:

NBA Jam
NBA Hangtime
NFL Blitz 2000
NBA Street Vol 1 and 2(especially 2)
Mutant League Football
Double Dribble

For the record I don't care for too many SEGA Genesis or Super Nintendo sports games, I prefer the 3D ones of the mid 1990's and 2000's

In the mid 2000's EA started to add stuff like a create a custom league feature. inside (EA Sports NHL) featuring custom teams you could create (an entire league) the players and design their uniforms, sometimes the arena too, and put them against each other.

NHL 2004 and 2006 2007 amd 2008. had those features, they even came with some of the non NHL teams such as 4 real life European leagues on top of creating your own Olympics on just about all NHL and FIFA   sports games 99 and up

The only traditional sports game I was into for a time was the MLB The Show franchise. While difficult at times, it gave off a sense of accomplishment when you are able to nail a hit or even better a home run. What set this franchise apart is that its more like a sim style baseball experience where you really have to pay attention when you are at bat as well as pitching. I havent play one in years but I have no problem going back to whatever the latest one is.

Aside from that, I never really got into other sports games since I was more of a baseball as a kid so that stuck with me as well as the game. That said, I have played and enjoyed some of the over the top sports games of those sports like:

NBA Jam
NBA Hangtime
NFL Blitz 2000
NBA Street Vol 1 and 2(especially 2)
Mutant League Football
Double Dribble

I really love the Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu (released in the de US as MLB Power Pros) series.

Baseball is, by far, the sport I like to play the most (however, as a good Brazilian, I watch almost exclusively a football - the real one - guy).

During college, we spent hundreds of hours playing the PS2 releases. I really recommend it for any baseball fans out there. It is much more intuitive and overall fun to play than any of the stuff released by EA, 2K, SCEA or MLBAM...

thats cool @droaa & @ferraroso thanks for sharing :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:38:30 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

ferraroso

I really love the Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu (released in the de US as MLB Power Pros) series.

Baseball is, by far, the sport I like to play the most (however, as a good Brazilian, I watch almost exclusively football - the real one).

During college, we spent hundreds of hours playing the PS2 releases. I really recommend it for any baseball fans out there. It is much more intuitive and overall fun to play than any of the stuff released by EA, 2K, SCEA or MLBAM...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:29:12 am by ferraroso »

jipsy

I've always enjoyed extreme sports game, for similar reasons you enjoy sports game.  I liked playing Tony Hawk and Skate because I was never very good at skating in real life.  A few years ago I started playing the modern NBA and FIFA games and I enjoy them a lot.  When I was really little I played games like double dribble on NES and NBA Jam on Sega Genesis.
Jipsy

I was buying EA's NHL games every 4 or 5 years for a while, but haven't done this since the early 2010s. Aside from that the only sports games i'm into are some of the Mario or game mascot themed sports games. I also really enjoyed NFL Blitz a ton back in the late 90s despite not being a football fan at all.

My brother is a fan of the Madden games, he buys those every year and I play those with him. I got some NBA games in a lot with my PS3 and I enjoy those, but I wouldn't pay full price for them. The only sports game I buy new is MLB The Show, I've always been a baseball guy. As for classics, I've always enjoyed Arch-Rivals on NES.

telly

I usually went for the more xtreme sports games like SSX, Tony Hawk, Freakstyle, etc.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

I have put many hours into sports games over the years. Many times playing NHL 2001 and 2002, then NHL 04. Then NHL 06... which led to me being the official NHLDepot roster modder for NHL 06 for some time. Unfortunately, that task killed my liking of hockey video games.

Baseball games are by far my favorite. I have spent a lot of time with WSB, WSBII, Frank Thomas and the All-Star edition on Saturn. Then ESPN Baseball (2K4) on PS2 to the point where I had to rebuy the game because I wore the original disc out. I have won the World Series (or the "championship") in WSB for Game Gear as the Padres, Triple Play Gold on the Sega Genesis as the Indians. Most other times I try to play baseball games, I would opt for full seasons... and something usually messes up.

For ESPN Baseball on the PS2, I've never been able to complete a full season. There are some bugs in the game (besides the music loop/silence bug) but one with the individual stat tables have wacky numbers in them. Like showing 400 doubles instead of 20. One thing I really loved about ESPN Baseball is that you don't have to pitch if you don't want to. You can switch sides each half inning to bat for both teams, or you can simulate half innings if you only want to bat. Roster management is decent as well.

One reason for me to slow down on ESPN Baseball was finding out about the active modding community for MVP Baseball 2005. This was after I knew that the game existed (I had played MVP Baseball 2004 on PS2) but we're talking about the PC version which was impossible to find. A friend of mine was able to find it online somewhere but it was a bit glitchy. BUT it let us install a mod to change one of the stadiums to the one in our hometown. And the practice mode always had the ball bouncing off some invisible object in the outfield. After getting MVP Baseball 2005 for PS2, I found out that was a tractor. I had also spend a short amount of time on the Loaded series (it is like NFL Blitz or NHL Hitz) but not really impressed. MLB The Show has some great presentation, but annoying GM options and I could never get it to use a custom roster on PS3. I had spent some time with Baseball Mogul and some other simulators, but what I was really looking for was something I had the whole time.

And that is Major League Manager, a game for DOS. I've been playing it monthly now since around 1993 or so when I got it for my IBM XT from Office Max. Now I'm running it in DOSBox, using modified leagues and teams, and have a PoC to fixing the player limit bug that exists in all versions of the game. To be clear, the bug will still exist, I just now have a way to refactor the rosters to allow for continued use of the software without the data becoming corrupted. I'm running through a beta build of my 2020 version, but seeing how this season hasn't happened yet, I probably won't be releasing it publicly for quite awhile.

sworddude

some arcade ones like baseball stars or neo turf masters are fun, or the mario sports games if where talking mario ones, mario soccer on cube is always the number 1 mario sports game imo no contest.

In general these days them sports games are almost identical like the real thing on tv kinda boring imo but hey it's accurate

Still modern games don't have cheesy intro's such as these anymore and perfect for it's target audience including gambling and a black market in players for a ton of them just like real life. absolute money sinks.

the super star soccer 64 one is golden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAv0mjeiqsU
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:29:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I was huge into Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball on the SNES.  He was the only licensed player, but the teams were all made up of statistically similar players that you could rename.  I played several full seasons with the real Atlanta Braves roster.

telly

My roommate in college would play NHL 08 with his buddies in our tiny dorm room on my PS2 all the time xD
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

(TIPS)

If your new to sports video games like basketball or hockey you need to know the following

1: Some of the EA SPORTS basketball games you need to set the options to auto shot aim to actually score. the shot aim is usually set for manual by default and it is vary hard to score a basket on manual shot aim on the late 1990'a and 2000's basketball video games,

2: On EA SPORTS Hockey NHL you may need to go into a deep team options panel and change the team strategy in order to win. NHL 99 for the Nintendo 64. Makes this easier by simply hitting the left OR right yellow arrow buttons. Then selecting a new strategy on the fly. But most NHL games require learning the coaching strategy, I have most of the coaching strategy memorized for the NHL games.

On NHL 2001, NHL 2002 and maybe NHL 2003 let you set the strategy to auto to make this easier, but the later year ones require you to change this at least every 2 games or so depending on your difficulty settings.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:37:11 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

wartoy

PRO Supporter

I haven't been into sports games for years but I used to play them all the time so I'll list my favorite's for you.Mabey you can find somthing you might want to try Ill start with the newer stuff and work my was down.

1.NBA 2k6 series or NBA Live series Xbox 360/Ps3 their is some fun to be had here.
2.Fight Night Xbox360/Ps3 the first game in this series was very fun and easier than the others imo.
3.SSX Tricky Ps2/Xbox/Gamecube
4.Fifa 2002 Gamecube never liked a soccer game before but I loved this one.
5.NHL 95 Sega Genesis
6.Joe Montana Sports talk football Sega Genesis I loved this game.
7.Blades of Steel Nes
8.Tecmo Bowl Nes

Hope this is helpful

I haven't been into sports games for years but I used to play them all the time so I'll list my favorite's for you.Mabey you can find somthing you might want to try Ill start with the newer stuff and work my was down.

1.NBA 2k6 series or NBA Live series Xbox 360/Ps3 their is some fun to be had here.
2.Fight Night Xbox360/Ps3 the first game in this series was very fun and easier than the others imo.
3.SSX Tricky Ps2/Xbox/Gamecube
4.Fifa 2002 Gamecube never liked a soccer game before but I loved this one.
5.NHL 95 Sega Genesis
6.Joe Montana Sports talk football Sega Genesis I loved this game.
7.Blades of Steel Nes
8.Tecmo Bowl Nes

Hope this is helpful

NO APPS NEEDED