Author Topic: De blob  (Read 198 times)

koemo1

De blob
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:45:49 pm »
Hey!
I have been changing a lot of games that have the article at the beginning of the title and I stumbled upon: de Blob.
Now: 'de' is the Dutch article for 'the'. Wouldn't it make sense to change the title to:  Blob, de       or Blob, De (not sure if a capital would be needed for the de).
If I get greenlight I will change all of them from 'de Blob' to Blob, de.
Now Playing:
Nothing, enjoying Yonsei University in Seoul, South-Korea

Flashback2012

Re: De blob
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »
Hey!
I have been changing a lot of games that have the article at the beginning of the title and I stumbled upon: de Blob.
Now: 'de' is the Dutch article for 'the'. Wouldn't it make sense to change the title to:  Blob, de       or Blob, De (not sure if a capital would be needed for the de).
If I get greenlight I will change all of them from 'de Blob' to Blob, de.

Yeah I'm not feeling that one. Seems like this one would be an exception to the rule. I mean it's technically correct in what you're saying but I don't think that was the intention of the game's title. I think the creators were going for a more funsy title (aka DEH Blob) instead of a matter-of-fact one (THE Blob). I think it's important to note that the developers, Blue Tongue, were Australian and not Dutch so that lends a bit more credence to it being more a fun title name.

Of course, there have been weirder things processed on this site so I won't be the least bit surprised if that went through.  :P

koemo1

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 04:24:46 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Blob

De Blob was conceptualised in the Netherlands at the University of Utrecht.
They formed a company: Ronimo Games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronimo_Games

THQ liked it and further along the line gave it to Blue Tongue Entertainment to develop into a Wii Title
Now Playing:

koemo1

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:25:42 pm »
But I see what you mean, okay  ;D
Now Playing:

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:04:55 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Blob

De Blob was conceptualised in the Netherlands at the University of Utrecht.
They formed a company: Ronimo Games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronimo_Games

THQ liked it and further along the line gave it to Blue Tongue Entertainment to develop into a Wii Title

I was reading up on that more in depth after I posted and saw that it did have roots in the Netherlands. :P  Maybe they kept it that way to avoid a copyright issue with the movie also named "The Blob" or something? It does cite the lower case de as a stylized change. I guess we'll find out when the mods chime in.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:02 am »
I think that " de Blob" is a one full name, so I think taht it should be in our database like it is now: de Blob.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:17:03 am »
Correct title should be: Blob, de

I will admit that I am unaware of what this title re-arrangement method is called, but while I am aware of how it works for English titles, I am unaware of how it is used with other languages. Remember that we did not invent this naming method. Currently all titles with an article as the first word is moved to the end. This includes German, Dutch, French etc. The exception in French is the contraction title, example: L' which does not get moved.

If any of you in other countries can find reference material on how these sorting systems are used per language, it would be helpful. We'd rather use an official method instead of trying to match other languages to fit into the English based model aka making it up as we go.

The entire naming situation could be handled with code on the site, where lists are sorted by automatically ignoring articles in strings where applicable. In such a scenario, we wouldn't need to re-arrange articles in titles at all.