Author Topic: DVD Games  (Read 2400 times)

htimreimer

DVD Games
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »
do think DVD games should get a Category???

matt

Re: DVD Games
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
Right now they are listed under 'Other'. If there are enough of them for an entire category we can definitely add one.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:30:18 pm »
Right now they are listed under 'Other'. If there are enough of them for an entire category we can definitely add one.
is thare enough yes

Dance Dance Revolution DVD Game
American Idol - All Star Challenge
24 DVD Board Game
AtmosFear - The Gatekeeper - DVD Game
Deal or No Deal DVD Game
Disney Pictionary DVD Game
Elvis DVD Game
Kiss DVD Game
Mad Gab Mania DVD Game
Match Game DVD Game
Monopoly - Tropical Tycoon DVD Game
Password DVD Game
Riff - The Music Trivia DVD Game
The Price Is Right DVD Game
about 35 scene It games
three or more trivial pursuit game

and that's just the tip of the iceberg

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:33 pm »
I absolutely would not call Riff or Scene-It a video game.

I don't know about any of the others on the list, but we have these, and they are possibly board games but are no more a video game than Trivial Pursuit is.

Just because it has an interactive DVD instead of cards to read off of does not make it a video game, in my opinion.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
according to the dictionary a video game is this (any of various games that can be played by using an electronic control to move points of light or graphical symbols on the screen of a visual display unit )

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:33:56 am »
I absolutely would not call Riff or Scene-It a video game.

I don't know about any of the others on the list, but we have these, and they are possibly board games but are no more a video game than Trivial Pursuit is.

Just because it has an interactive DVD instead of cards to read off of does not make it a video game, in my opinion.
They're board games in my opinion. However there have been console versions of Scene-It so those count.

Then there's DVD versions of Laserdisc games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, and my own "Tender Loving Care." They count.

The games htimreimer mentioned don't really qualify for the site in my opinion.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:21 am »

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »
I also don't think that this is something that we really want to get into on the site.  I agree with foxhack, these are board games to me.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
I've always said, if it isn't played on a dedicated PC/game console/arcade then it wouldn't count. LCD games count because they a basically a dedicated handheld console. I don't think board games or DVD based games in general would count. Space Ace/ Dragon's Lair would more than likely be an exemption.

EDIT: I meant "if it isn't played on a dedicated PC/game console/arcade then it wouldn't count" edited my original statement. Stupid phone auto correct.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:47:31 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

psydswipe

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »
I lean towards no on stuff like board games with DVDs as well. However, I'm not sure if this matters but ESRB actually rates some of them.

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:04 pm »
I've always said, if it isn't played on a dedicated PC/game console/arcade then it wouldn't count. LCD games count because they a basically a dedicated handheld console. I don't think board games or DVD based games in general would count. Space Ace/ Dragon's Lair would more than likely be an exemption.

EDIT: I meant "if it isn't played on a dedicated PC/game console/arcade then it wouldn't count" edited my original statement. Stupid phone auto correct.
But see, FMV games on CD or DVD are a real thing. I don't see how board games with DVDs or VHS would count, but self-contained DVD games should.

scott

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:57:07 pm »

But see, FMV games on CD or DVD are a real thing. I don't see how board games with DVDs or VHS would count, but self-contained DVD games should.

Err I meant things like Dragon Lair and Space Ace would. Gah, it has been a long day. Obviously there are some FMV games on consoles too, like uh that one for PS1... I forget the name now. Psychic Detective? Or something... all I remember is the cheese was laid on pretty thick.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »
Phantom of Inferno and Tea Society of a Witch were two PC visual novels that Hirameki made into DVD games for their English releases for some damn reason. Weird.

topspot123

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:50 pm »
This topic has turned stale now, but for the record I'm about to add a shelf's worth of DVD games to the database.  Even though they are on the fringe, I feel that they fit enough of the criteria to be considered video games. 

I don't feel that a game like Scene-it would count as a video game.  Neither would a VHS/DVD game like Atmosfear.  Just displaying video clips, even if the clips or questions are randomized, isn't enough for me to justify it as a video game. 

Games that actually use the DVD player as a source of actual game play, score keeping, or other interactive elements should count.  When I'm done there may be enough to create a separate DVD category. 

Lastly, I am not sure I would count interactive movies as video games.  It's a tough call.  I don't really see them as 'games' wherein you are trying to achieve a specific goal.  But since there are already some listed in the database, I am going to add more.   

Any further feedback is welcome!

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
Just to be sure, what games are you going to add?