Author Topic: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale  (Read 2688 times)

kirbysuperstar

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:23:53 am »
Yay, Sony SSB clone.

Confirmed characters:
- Kratos (GoW)
- Col. Radec (Killzone)
- Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
- Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
- Parappa the Rapper (LOL)
- Sweettooth (Twisted Metal)

Confirmed stages (ie will probably have characters)
- LittleBigPlanet
- Some Ratchet and Clank planet (with Qwark)
- Sandover Village (Jak & Daxter)
- Buzz

And they've said they're going to be getting a few third party properties (I'd assume Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed) and the final boss will be surprising (it better be Kevin Butler or Kaz Hirai).

Image: http://i.imgur.com/pBcow.jpg

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/qT5kO.png - Dammit. Okay, KB it is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:38:55 am by kirbysuperstar »

jobocan

Re: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
You totally forgot to post the video trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDgtQhjE6OQ

At least for once Sony is being honest about their desire to rip off someone. I mean, look at it! It couldn't really look anymore like Smash Bros if it tried.

That being said, I'll definitely give it a look once it comes out, it may end up being fun.

psydswipe

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »
I've never understood why people love Smash Bros.  :-\ I'm not a huge Nintendo fan or anything but even if they swapped the characters for something I like I still don't think I would enjoy it. This Sony game won't help either since I don't care too much for those characters. I know part of the problem is I only tried it with others once on GameCube and then tried the Wii game alone. Not to mention 2D fighters in general have never appealed to me. It's just when I see all the Smash Bros. games getting near perfect review scores I feel like I'm completely missing something  :-[

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
SSB is just super fun to play. It's not meant to be taken seriously (though it can, since there is a competitive scene for the series). Just gather a couple of friends to play in 4-player mode and smash each other around, it's guaranteed fun. It's easy enough to play so that anyone can play and have fun with it, but deep enough so that you can play somewhat competitively between each other.

Playing alone is definitely not as interesting though. I hated having to play through Brawl's story mode a second time to unlock all the characters.

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:49:05 pm »
Sounds like it could be good but I've never gotten into SSB so hopefully this will be different enough to keep me interested.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:24 pm »
If nothing else, there's no way in hell its online will be anywhere near as bad as that of Brawl.

Also competitive SSB makes me laugh pretty hard.

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:28:46 am »
Also competitive SSB makes me laugh pretty hard.

Yeah, it's definitely laughable compared to other competitive fighting games, but competitive Smash is still pretty big, high-level play is definitely different from average play you normally see.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:59 am »
high-level play is definitely different from average play you normally see.

Because it's just Fox V Fox in Final Destination? Dohohoho

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »
high-level play is definitely different from average play you normally see.

Because it's just Fox V Fox in Final Destination? Dohohoho

:P

Actually Final Destination isn't seen often in tournaments (as far as I've seen, haven't watched SSBB tournaments in a while), a lot of people don't like it because it encourages camping, and both players fighting each other can decide a level to ban from that particular match... I don't get it :P

scott

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »
First off. I'm not surprised to see Super Smash being ripped off. Its a fun party game when you can get 4 people together. I watched that trailer and thought it looked pretty sweet, I'd like to whoop some ass as Jak or Daxter.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »
As long as the controls are tight I'll probably buy it. I think it looks great!

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »
As long as the controls are tight I'll probably buy it. I think it looks great!

Yeah... I hope for a demo... I'm not sure about the gameplay mechanic of "your attacks do nothing but increase your super bar and the only way to kill your opponents is with super moves". I see the possibility of a very unbalanced game depending solely on super moves.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:22:48 pm »
I think it was Dale North, who said the controls were pretty much perfect. The "only get points from super-KOs" idea is pretty interesting, it'll be a good risk-reward type deal.

Also Sony totally need to rip-off Sakura's Smash Dojo blog thing, along with the ridiculous commentary. DON'T GO TOO FAST! DON'T DO IT!

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:45 am »
It may be just me but as i hear about this the less I care about it.  It seems like it should be a great idea.  I am not that big a fan of Super Smash Bros so that may be the reason why.  :-\

psydswipe

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:50:47 am »
I almost forgot that I have already played one Smash Bros. ripoff. As I mentioned I don't enjoy SSB but Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion is much worse. They also force players to go through a side-scrolling platform mode to unlock all of the characters and it's not fun at all.