Author Topic: What is a good way to find out about current physical releases?  (Read 1572 times)

Warmsignal

What is a good way to find out about current physical releases?
« on: October 27, 2020, 10:54:03 am »
Obviously, the traditional way would be to look at upcoming release information, note the release dates, maybe mark them on a calendar or something. But I'm lazy, and I don't want to research games that are coming out. So basically, what I try to do is just look at whatever has released within the week or month and if it piques my interest that's pretty much how I discover new games.

Problem is, that's trickier than it sounds, and especially with physical releases at retail. I'm not even talking about "limited run" type low key releases (and I know some folks here cover those release dates diligently), but I mean just standard retail. That's tricky too. What always ends up happening is games get released without me noticing them. Then I just kind of stumble randomly upon games, like "What's this? How long has this been out?", etc. I've always tried to use retail website lists by utilizing the product filters, but often results in being shown wrong or inaccurate listings. GameStop has always had the most competent product list filter, so that you could filter physical games by release date and see what was newest without being shown a bunch of crap like digital only, or coming soon/ pre-order and other things I don't wanna manually scan through to try to figure out if it's something I should even be looking into. But lately, their filter has become completely busted so now I'm out of luck.

There's got to be a website out there somewhere, that'll give just straight up info on CURRENT physical retail releases, ordered by the most recent ones to date. Right?? Just a list of your standard retail print games, as of today, and hopefully thorough enough to not miss some of them.

Could be obvious, but I don't know where to find that. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:02:29 am by Warmsignal »

pzeke

Re: What is a good way to find out about current physical releases?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 11:03:28 am »
Follow the publishers and/or developers' Twitter accounts?

I normally just Google the name of whatever game I'm interested in with "physical release" and that tends to do it for me.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:45:56 pm »
Pre order in most online stores?

wich is months before the release

Follow those dates and around those times is when you could expect them to appear at physical stores aswell
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 03:47:42 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:24:31 am »
I agree with the already mentioned twitter account.  I use twitter almost exclusively for video game news.  By following gaming personalities at first you'll find niche retweets specific to your interest.  For example I follow BlackKite @bk2128 for Japanese releases, Kelsey Lewin @kelslewin for my video game education, Metal Jesus Rocks @MetalJesusRocks for reviews, and Cheap *** Gamer @videogamedeals to bring all the sales to the yard. 

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:01:31 am »
I personally don't know of any resource myself, but, while I haven't communicated with them, and while they seldom use the forums, user afroyoshi may be a good community resource in messaging. They're always adding entries for these types of items across all regions far in advance. It seems that they're surely utilizing the kind or resource you're looking for.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:20 pm »
https://limitedgamenews.com/

is website i been using to make my life easier on keeping track all physical releases.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

pzeke

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:11:49 pm »
[...] Cheap *** Gamer @videogamedeals to bring all the sales to the yard.

Come on, dude! Say it with your chest: Cheap ASS Gamer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:36:14 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:49 pm »
Cheap bottom gamer*.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 09:45:25 am »
Yeah, the problem is there are too many companies out there that stealth release stuff.  A lot of the cheaper bargain releases you won't find any information about the game even existing until release.

It also doesn't help that there are games that wind up exclusive to certain retailers too.  I know I've seen stuff that is only sold at Walmart and not even advertised as such, so you only hear about it when someone posts on twitter saying look what I found.

It also doesn't help that every retailer's website is garbage.  You can't throw together a good result set from Walmart, Gamestop, or Amazon.  Best Buy, maybe you could get a result set of games available for preorder by release date, but I don't know for sure.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:42:38 am »
I've found out via Facebook mostly by following pages of companies like LRG, SRG, Iam8bit and various other companies that specialize in physical releases. I also check Amazon listing for upcoming titles every so often to see what's down the pipeline. For everything else I rely on word of mouth via Facebook gaming/collecting groups as well. Sadly I am planning of ditching social media this next year for good, so I'm going to have to find other ways of staying up to date other than hounding each of these websites.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:19:06 am »
I use Amazon for this. Go to Video Games, choose what platform, select Games and then choose Last 30 Days or Last 90 Days. A few DLC may slip through but it is largely physical release games shown.