Author Topic: Feature Request: Main Site BST additions  (Read 1087 times)

tripredacus

Feature Request: Main Site BST additions
« on: June 10, 2021, 11:40:14 am »
After going through and adding some things to the Sell List, and looking at other users' Sell List or Wish List, there are some things that I would like to request in order to make this part of the site more usable.

The first thing that comes to mind is the (apparent) issue where additions to sell list does not show up in the Feed. Possibly one thing that could be added is getting a notification when an item on your wish list is added to someone else's sell list.

However the big thing I am thinking about is adding trade matching. Say you are on a user's sell list page. You want a game but maybe want to do a trade. How do you know what that other person wants? You go to their wishlist page but it could have 300 items on there. Then you have to find one that you have.

A trade matching feature would be one where you could click a button or something that would show a list of items that are on your sell list that matches items on their wish list. You can then say, I have this item you want and you have this item I want, want to do a trade? And it could be done a lot quicker if the site shows this comparison than spending a huge amount of time comparing up lists on your own.

dhaabi

Re: Feature Request: Main Site BST additions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:45 pm »
The first thing that comes to mind is the (apparent) issue where additions to sell list does not show up in the Feed. Possibly one thing that could be added is getting a notification when an item on your wish list is added to someone else's sell list.

Unless this feature has been removed recently, seeing updates in the feed for when users add items to their sell list is already something implemented. However, as far as a notification system for active wish list items available, that would be a fantastic addition. This alone would create a more active marketplace community.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:57 am »
I must not be following anyone that adds items to sell list then...

Then again, I only follow people who have been seen adding things to the db incorrectly, or I see people with an item with a watermark picture in their collection sig. Now anyone will know why I might be following them... it is to fix bad entries that show up in the Feed.  ;)

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 10:59:20 am »

Then again, I only follow people who have been seen adding things to the db incorrectly, or I see people with an item with a watermark picture in their collection sig. Now anyone will know why I might be following them... it is to fix bad entries that show up in the Feed.  ;)

Well that's slightly disheartening...  :P

jason

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 07:13:31 pm »

LOL

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 08:26:49 am »

Well that's slightly disheartening...  :P

rofl.  You're like one of the only people he follows.

Anyway, if you add stuff to any list via the move feature, it doesnt show up in the feed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:29:04 am by ignition365 »

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 01:52:54 pm »
rofl.  You're like one of the only people he follows.

Anyway, if you add stuff to any list via the move feature, it doesnt show up in the feed.

It's fair in a way. I've got 20K edits and there's bound to be some bad info that gets put in. I try for accuracy but sometimes he can be SO.DAMN.METICULOUS. over titles with the most slightest variance. There'd be a single entry for a Genesis release that's missing the barcode so I enter it because I just picked it up. Trip comes along and sees it and goes "OH! The picture of the entry has a copper official Sega seal and the barcode you entered is for the GOLD seal version! I'ma change that, make a new entry and let you know!"  :o

That's one of the the limitations of the site that does annoy me is the inability to list all variants into a single entry. I want to add Super Mario Bros. 3 to my collection and it's like "Ah...did you mean 3-screw or 5-screw Mario, with his hand under the logo and the gold Seal of Approval or the white, also the outer box having text in just English or English and French and having the sticker for the Domino's Pizza promotion that was only on the shrinkwrap or the one that denotes NES Satellite compatibility?!?"

On some fields I kind of just gave up the fight and let others get yelled at for it, like LRG/SRG/SLG/PA release dates. I figured barcodes would be safe but no, those too have gotten me an e-mail.  :P

And before anyone thinks I'm bagging on Trip, it's completely the opposite. The guy's super dedicated to the site and while super meticulous about his method, it's only for the overall good and should be applauded for such. I mean, I only got involved with doing edits because the site was lacking in Skylanders entries and it kind of steamrolled from there.  :P

At this point there's enough hands in the cookie jar that I could probably just add games when I get them and be done with it but my OCD kicks in when I see blank fields on entries and I happen to enjoy fully fleshed-out entries. 95% of the edits get through unscathed at least.  8)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 09:41:51 am »
That's one of the the limitations of the site that does annoy me is the inability to list all variants into a single entry. I want to add Super Mario Bros. 3 to my collection and it's like "Ah...did you mean 3-screw or 5-screw Mario, with his hand under the logo and the gold Seal of Approval or the white, also the outer box having text in just English or English and French and having the sticker for the Domino's Pizza promotion that was only on the shrinkwrap or the one that denotes NES Satellite compatibility?!?"

Yes, I think it would be much better if there was a Basic and Advanced view of the site, where the Basic is just "games" and not "releases" and let people decide how detailed they want to be. Like if they don't care about the many different Super Mario 3 there are they just see one and add that. And then super collectors can choose the other way and be able to see all the versions. Unfortunately, it was the 3 screw and 5 screw NES games that set the precedence to adding variations of everything else.

I think that while we do end up gaining a lot of users that do want this granularity (or at least, because the other collector sites do not offer it) as well as the people who want to collect the international releases (again because the other sites do not track them) the other side of the coin is that we potentially scare away some people due to the vastness.

EDIT: I'm not practive in pruning my following list. I typically only will remove someone if I have to add someone else. I haven't felt the need to follow anyone recently, that is why flashback is still on there. :)

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:53:41 pm »
I've mentioned this before already, but it should also be made so that the sell, as well as the wish list could be seen by others even if the user has their collection set to private. As it stands right now, setting a collection to private also means that the sell and wish lists are also set to private, which is counterproductive.

Another option would giving users the choice of setting either of those lists public of private. Whichever works.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!