Author Topic: What is the worst injury you have ever had?  (Read 4691 times)

scott

Re: What is the worst injury you have ever had?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:22 am »
Oh man, that's gotta be a gnarly scar, ha.

I wiped out in a skate park a few years ago, was rolling down a roll in, assuming it would be similar to snowboarding (wrong) bit it, did a bit of a roll and managed to scrape up both elbows and 2 spots on my left leg. It all healed up pretty good, but the one on my arm was pretty huge, took awhile to heal up too, since the scab would constantly wash off in the shower.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 01:13:44 am »
@kirbysuperstar: Did you keep your kneecap? My dad lost one of his in a bad motorcycle accident...let's just say after seeing him kneel too fast or bump it wrong I know why we have them.

Aye, it's still there. FOR NOW.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27:01 pm »
You know that 'tingly' feeling that you get when your hand/foot "falls asleep"?

Well, one night, my left hand had that feeling, and after shaking the hell out of it for a few hours...and that "tingly" feeling not going away...I got nervous/worried enough to go to a local ER and get it looked at.

"Luckily", it was only a "minor" blood-clot, requiring only "an extremely simple & routine" repair surgery.

Long (and painful) story short...

I woke-up/came-to almost 2 weeks later and 'noticed' that I seemed to be missing my left hand & wrist and that I was constantly experiencing blinding & incapacitating pain.

The "story" (which, I had to be told by my family as I was in a coma almost the entire time) was that, somehow, through a surgeon's negligence & incompetence...he 'botched' the simple, blood-clot reapair surgery.

*Yes*, I sued...and *Yes* I won the suit*

Apparently, after not only botching the surgery, there was too much (or maybe the *wrong*) anesthesia used.

This is what had me, literally, Comatose for all of that time.
While in the coma, they "re-assured" my family that there was no hope of me ever coming-back (out of the coma).

So, family members from across the country all flew-in to say their "last goodbye's" to me, a priest gave me the 'Last Rites'...and (thanks to my family's decision to ignore the doctors insistence that they just "save" everyone involved the time, money, and sorrow) and turn-off the machines that were keeping me alive - amazingly...surprisingly...obviously...and not inexpensively (for the hospital/surgeons)...I woke up.

Fast-forward over about 6 months of major depression, hopelessness, *extremely* painful physical therapy/Rehab...and, for the 1st time since the surgery, I tried to play a game (...which I was absolutely certain that I'd nevber be able to do again).

The game was Oblivion (on the PS3)...and god damnit if I wasn't able to do everything that there was possible to do in the game; one-handed.

This (along w/ meeting/dating - also an initially awkward experience after losing a limb- some nice women on-line) helped *Immensely*.

The combination of finding out that I was still capable of playing my favorite genres of games (turn-based rpg's & SRPG's ), some strong-ass pain pills, the love & support of my family, the warmth & companionship of my dog, and the realization (and re-building of my self-esteem) when I found out that it wouldn't affect/*END* my romantic, dating, and/or sex life...I slowly started coming back to life & getting into gaming again.

I'll also consider this my "INTRO" post, 'cause I'm not re-typing all of this again!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

madmax

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »
Didn't land a jump properly snowboarding, landed on my hand after a 60 footer. I separated my shoulder, it's been 6-7 years and my shoulder is still partially separated.

scott

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »
disgaeniac wins the thread. That really sucks man, I hope that doctor lost his job.

ffxik

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 11:05:39 pm »
The worst that happend to me was when I was four.  I was chasing my brother in the car port, at that time our house.  I tripped and landed head first on a jagged piece of asphalt that literally knocked a hole in my head.  The doctors decided I just needed some stitches but they weren't going to numb the area before they done it.  It took a full set of child restraints, 3 orderlies, 1 nurse and both parents to hold me some what still enough so the doc could sew my head shut. 

At four was calling that doc every name under the sun, some of which I do believe I made up on the spot. 

Other than that. I was eight and playing on the monkey bars at school.  One of the girls just happen to swing down to where she was holding on with her legs.  She was wearing some really loose and short, shorts.  I got *distracted* lost my footing, fell and broke my left arm.   ::)

At 16 I shattered the carpal that sits behind the pinky knuckle on my right hand.  I connected incorrectly with an individuals jaw after he insulted my then girlfriend.  After they wired his jaw shut, she dumped me.   ???

ffxik

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:16 pm »
disgaeniac wins the thread. That really sucks man, I hope that doctor lost his job.

I hope he lost his license to practice, if it was just a matter of the job he could always go somewhere else and perhaps do it again.

scott

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »

I hope he lost his license to practice, if it was just a matter of the job he could always go somewhere else and perhaps do it again.

That too.

jcalder8

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
The worst was probably when I was riding my bike down a big hill and then going off a dirt ramp at the bottom. All my friends had gone home but I decided to try going down from the very top of the hill, I know that I made it to the top because that's the last thing I remember the next thing I remember is walking my bike home. I had a large/deep cut in my knee, my pants were wreaked, both hands and arms had scrapes on them and I was carrying my helmet which was cracked down the middle and had little rocks embedded in it. I hit hard enough to bend the handle bars on my bike.

I hope that when I die my life flashes before my eyes so that I can see what exactly happened because it must have looked pretty impressive.

ffxik

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 02:07:08 am »
The worst was probably when I was riding my bike down a big hill and then going off a dirt ramp at the bottom. All my friends had gone home but I decided to try going down from the very top of the hill, I know that I made it to the top because that's the last thing I remember the next thing I remember is walking my bike home. I had a large/deep cut in my knee, my pants were wreaked, both hands and arms had scrapes on them and I was carrying my helmet which was cracked down the middle and had little rocks embedded in it. I hit hard enough to bend the handle bars on my bike.

I hope that when I die my life flashes before my eyes so that I can see what exactly happened because it must have looked pretty impressive.

YouTube worthy eh.   ;D

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 05:06:08 am »
I'll also consider this my "INTRO" post, 'cause I'm not re-typing all of this again!

Holy hell. You win.