Author Topic: So... What did y'all think of the Nintendo direct?  (Read 1914 times)

gngtiger

So... What did y'all think of the Nintendo direct?
« on: February 09, 2022, 08:36:33 pm »
Here's my general thoughts:
Fire Emblem Three whatever: I know the series does have its fans, but I don't really care for it.
Advance Wars: Interesting, but I'll have to play it before I'm sure I like the series
No Man's Sky: Don't really care. I remember it being announced like six year ago and finding it interesting... then it came out.
Mario Strikers Battle League: Can't wait! But I'll have to try the Wii version first.
Splatoon 3: Nintendo finally convinced me to give it a try.
Front Mission 1st: At first I thought it was Cyberpunk 2077. It's fine, I guess.
Disney Speedway: They did not show Lightning McQueen for some reason. I will be so mad if he's not in it.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: I own it on 360, so I definitely won't be picking it up.
Assassin's Creed Ezio collection: Let's hope it doesn't require a download if you buy it physically!
SD Gundam Battle Alliance: Wasn't this the rarest game for some console?
Chrono Cross: Would've vastly preferred Chrono Trigger first, or the two as a bundle. The addition of a Satellaview game was epic!
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: Can't wait!
MLB the show 22: Do not care.
Kingdom Hearts Cloud versions: Because 20 year old games are too weak for a modern console. Makes sense. I know these games are great, but I'd rather own the PS2 versions.
Klonoa: I'm SO HYPED! The originals cost a fortune secondhand now!
Portal Companion: LETS GOOOOOOOOOO
Live a Live: Thought this was Triangle Strategy. Looks interesting, but I don't think I'll play it.
Nintendo Switch Sports: At first I thought WHY NO MIIS? And then I saw they are in the game. Good on ya Nintendo!
Taiko no Tatsujin: I don't get why we have to subscribe for a song library instead of just buying them individually like for the Rock Band games.
Triangle Strategy: I'm not inclined to buy it.
Cuphead DLC: Nice addition!
Metroid Dread: God Mode and Hardcore mode look fun for those wanting it, but I haven't played Dread yet.
Earthbound/beginnings: YO LET"S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (While Mother 3 would've been nice, these two alone show that Nintendo listens occasionally!)
Zombie Army 4/GetsuFumaDen/Demon Slayer/Lego Brawls/ Two Point Campus: I can't wait for Lego Brawls, but don't much care for the others.
Mario Kart DLC: Good content... FOR A REASONABLE PRICE? I'm shocked...
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Don't care much for this series, but nice regardless.

All in all, a great direct! I'd give it an A-.

Re: So... What did y'all think of the Nintendo direct?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 09:21:39 pm »
It was great!

48 remade Mario Kart tracks for $25 (or included with $60 Switch online tier) is insane.

Mario Strikers coming back is nice to see but I'm not too interested in the game. Baseball next perhaps?

Nintendo Switch Sports looks really nice. Online Play Test sign up starts Feb. 15 at 5pm PST.

Disney Speedstorm looks awesome and it's free!

Portal coming to Switch gives me hope Team Fortress 2 will come to PS4.

Earthbound is finally on Switch.

Klonoa is revived once again.

Square Enix is still not letting anyone bring back Gex but they're bringing back Front Mission.

Salmon Run made me think to myself why is this a whole new game and then after Mario Kart adding 48 tracks for $25 I'm not sure Splatoon 3 is gonna be a great value.

Kirby still looking quite good but I'm curious to know how long of a game it is. The upgrade system makes it seem like it could be a bit longer than expected?

Taiko no Tatsujin should've just been Donkey Konga 4.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:53 pm »
I freakin loved it!

I was slightly disappointed by them essentially doubling the amount of tracks in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe versus just announcing Mario Kart 9, but I'm hardly complaining! I was beyond happy to hear about this and will likely sink another 200+ hours into that game. This was definitely the announcement that got me to the most excited and hyped.

I was also digging all the retro love in this direct. The Klonoa collection, Chrono Cross Remaster, Advanced Wars remake, Earthbound eshop release, Front Mission remakes, and so many others have me extremely happy. If I had my way all retro games would be ported to newer consoles and this Direct did not disappoint in this regard.

My wife's biggest announcement was Xenoblade 3. I liked the first Xenoblade quite a bit, but she absolutely loved it. So when they announced the third entry she completely flipped out. Her excitement has me hyped as well. I'm really happy that it comes out this year too.

Overall this was definitely a great Direct and exceeded my expectations. It looks like Nintendo is waiting to unleash Breath of the Wild 2 during E3 this year. All the more reason to get hyped for it...I hope.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 01:28:30 am »
Live A Live was what caught my eye the most. I'd love to see more SNES-era games that never made official US releases finally come stateside. Really hoping Terranigma or Bahamut Lagoon get similar treatment.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:33:26 am »
I finished Live a Live not too long ago so it was still fresh on my mind. Seeing that was the biggest surprise. Otherwise, fantastic lineup.

Klonoa, Front Mission, CC+Radical Dreamers, and more Kirby hype. There just aren't going to be enough hours in the day to play all of this good stuff.

telly

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 10:15:00 am »
I'm actually really excited about that Kirby game. Seems really cool and a nice evolution for the series!

Also going to finally pick up MK8 Deluxe today  ;D
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 01:10:26 pm »
Not one of my hopes happened, but I'm not surprised by that.

Seeing an easy mode for Metroid Dread is cool. Those EMIs are tough.

The Chrono Cross HD remaster looks interesting, for sure.

Klonoa 1 & 2 being packaged together might get me to check it out since I keep hearing people talk about it. But it still just looks too kiddie for me.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 03:42:19 pm »
mario strikers alone already made this direct for me  ;D
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 04:38:43 pm »
Wasn't much for me, the only real cool thing was the Mario Kart 8 DLC, I'm gonna check out the Klonoa games since I never played them back in the day, and I may get around to Xenoblade 3 if I decided to check out Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition beforehand.  Pretty underwhelming in general for me, but I've seen worse Directs.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 07:07:22 pm »
Had no idea it even was happening, but it was cool to have a new Wii Sports game and more Mario Kart content (despite the game being nearly 8 years old), Strikers looks cool, but if it is more like Charged than the original, it'll probably suck. Mario Baseball would be better.

EarthBound and Mother being on the Switch is something that should have always been there. It doesn't need its own hype up.

Klonoa looks cool. I still have the Wii version of the first game and the PS2 version of the second game that I still haven't even touched so it's unlikely I'll be interested in this unless it comes out on PS4/5 or something.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

jason

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 04:08:10 am »
I'm actually really excited about that Kirby game. Seems really cool and a nice evolution for the series!

I'm feeling the same way! Haven't had a fully 3D version yet, so that's pretty exciting! Some of the memes were pretty good too, haha.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 07:22:14 am »
Had no idea it even was happening, but it was cool to have a new Wii Sports game and more Mario Kart content (despite the game being nearly 8 years old), Strikers looks cool, but if it is more like Charged than the original, it'll probably suck. Mario Baseball would be better.

EarthBound and Mother being on the Switch is something that should have always been there. It doesn't need its own hype up.

Klonoa looks cool. I still have the Wii version of the first game and the PS2 version of the second game that I still haven't even touched so it's unlikely I'll be interested in this unless it comes out on PS4/5 or something.

it's unfortunate we didn't get the ps1 version instead.

Wii version is the lesser game imo

still earthbound 1 having an official translation is pretty big that they would go through the effort for that
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:11:57 am by sworddude »

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 12:24:59 pm »
still earthbound 1 having an official translation is pretty big that they would go through the effort for that

It's already had an English release, back for the Wii U's virtual console.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 02:44:55 pm »

It's already had an English release, back for the Wii U's virtual console.

Missed that, the more you know

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 11:17:41 pm »
As an RPG fan, I freaking loved it. I wish there were some more original titles and not so many ports and remasters, oh, but what remasters they are. Live A Live using the gorgeous Octopath engine.... can’t freakin’ wait.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 03:12:46 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)