Author Topic: server lag  (Read 2867 times)

htimreimer

server lag
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »
hi guys i have been getting lots of server lag for two days to the point that i get on the site and this site is the only site that i get server lag

i have checked if i had cookies enabled and i used ccleaner i used spy bot and i played around with my modem and still get server lag

update: i am using  opera
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:05:33 pm by htimreimer »

Re: server lag
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:45:28 pm »
Haven't had any other issues reported outside of the random Internal Server Errors.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »
Haven't had any other issues reported outside of the random Internal Server Errors.
i dont get internal server errors for some reason just lag

madmax

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:01 am »
try www.Speedtest.net and post the results here. We will be able to see if the issue is server side or on your end :)

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:57 am »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:39:12 am by htimreimer »

madmax

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:04 am »
Looks fine :/
Does the lag happen in a different browser?

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:05:36 am »
Looks fine :/
Does the lag happen in a different browser?
yes

madmax

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:23:38 am »
Lets try this:

https://www.blamestella.com/

Put www.vgcollect.com in the bar there and click "check it out"

Under Response time it should write a message, mine says " Not bad. It's on par with most sites." and then "479 milliseconds [rt]".

What does yours say?

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:31:18 am »
Quite fast. The page is faster than most sites.

madmax

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:18 pm »
I honestly can't find a problem then :/
You internet connection is fine, the server is fine. It could be your computer. That's the last thing I can think of.

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »
As corny as this sounds, as someone who did tech support for a cable company for a while, and have done a lot of "I have lag/slow speeds" calls...

Do you have an Anti-Virus program? If no, there's your problem. If yes, and you paid for it, it's probably too bloated/restricted and there's your problem.  If yes, and it's free, it was probably loaded with spyware or something and is bad, and there's your problem.  :P

Seriously, that's the answers we'd give...and then the management would wonder why everyone hates the cable company.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »
As corny as this sounds, as someone who did tech support for a cable company for a while, and have done a lot of "I have lag/slow speeds" calls...

Do you have an Anti-Virus program? If no, there's your problem. If yes, and you paid for it, it's probably too bloated/restricted and there's your problem.  If yes, and it's free, it was probably loaded with spyware or something and is bad, and there's your problem.  :P

Seriously, that's the answers we'd give...and then the management would wonder why everyone hates the cable company.

Not here to start a fight but I HIGHLY disagree with this statement. Wherever you got your education is where they taught this fantasized textbook response. I agree the average computer (illiterate) person shouldn't be without protection however I have NOT had the need for any virus/firewall protection EVER! It slows down the computer, bloats it, and hogs the memory. I suppose the reason is because i'm an advanced computer person. The simple reality is, if people were to actually WATCH what their doing and NOT download anything from untrusted sources - they would simply be fine. The truth is that people just blindly go to a website and clicky click click.. Even AFTER the virus gets downloaded, the person has to open it! Jeez... time to start paying attention. When that security box pops up, read very carefully. Chances are that if you weren't trying to intentionally open an application - it's a virus. I think windows needs to take a few hints from mac or linux though. I'v used all 3 OS's and (no - lets not start a flame war here), there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Virus awareness just happens to be the better end on a mac or linux box. If you absolutely feel the need to be protected, give ZoneAlarm a try. A lot of people would suggest Norton but as a PC tech - its a load of crap. We were always fixing computers that had Norton.

Back to the topic; I agree that it's probably not your internet. Most likely a software issue on your computer. That being said, your ISP could also be hindering your experience. Highly unlikely but there are limits and redirects that you're not aware of. The only way to tell is do a tracert - but this is really only for advanced users. If you know what DOS (command line) is then you can go to your command prompt, type "tracert vgcollect.com" (without the quotes) and post the results here. To copy the results from a command line/terminal, right click -> mark, highlight the prompt, right click again. The selection is a little different as it's not your usual copy selection. You have to highlight the whole window by dragging to the bottom of the window, then drag fully to the right of the window.

After seeing this response, it will be able to tell us if it's your software or internet that's causing the problem.

Sorry for the long read.

amauriel

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
Wow, did not plan on a response like that.

I was hoping that the "and then management would wonder why everyone hates the cable company" would let people know that I disagreed with it. (I guess sarcasm really isn't portrayed well in text...)

Basically, I was saying that these were all the approved responses to the lag/slow speed calls, and why no answer can ever really be made by someone who isn't looking at the computer and experiencing the issue.

And the place where I got my Bachelor's in computers certainly did not teach this kind of "fantasized textbook response"...if they had, I'm pretty sure I would have transferred or would not have a degree at all.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:45:23 pm by amauriel »
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »
Wow, did not plan on a response like that.

I was hoping that the "and then management would wonder why everyone hates the cable company" would let people know that I disagreed with it. (I guess sarcasm really isn't portrayed well in text...)

Ooh. I definitely agree! I actually couldn't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic. I'm sorry.

Basically, I was saying that these were all the approved responses to the lag/slow speed calls, and why no answer can ever really be made by someone who isn't looking at the computer and experiencing the issue.

And the place where I got my Bachelor's in computers certainly did not teach this kind of "fantasized textbook response"...if they had, I'm pretty sure I would have transferred or would not have a degree at all.

Again, I agree! This post wasn't intended or aimed at you specifically. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just a misunderstanding. Seem to have a lot of those. lol. My original post was just for clarification for the above topic. What I meant to say, is that most fix-er-uppers unlike IT schools and colleges now are teaching that:
  • It's always the user's fault, but don't tell them that.
  • It could NEVER be an issue on our end, so it's gotta be something the user is doing.
  • When all else fails, and we can't blame the user anymore.. make up some bull crap excuse and tell them to upgrade their computer.

The last bullet, goes on further by saying "reformat your computer, or install a virus removal application or firewall software suite.".
That's just the reality of most computer tech companies now. However there are quite a few colleges still teaching the correct ways .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:33:37 pm by bugs181 »

darko

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:23:55 pm »
Ha ha. The cable company HATES it when I call. Bad news for them - I've already diagnosed the issue and let them know that it's their fault and usually what it is. I typically get silence on the end followed by "Let me transfer you to a tech."