Author Topic: shin megami games  (Read 1266 times)

htimreimer

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:10:01 pm by htimreimer »

desocietas

Re: shin megami games
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:49:23 am »
you could've thrown this one into one of the shin megami threads, but hey, maybe one of the mods can move it into one if they feel like it.  otherwise this is just another case of the "post with just links" and not much substance... :\

also, i'm not an import person myself.  thankfully there's enough SMT stuff that's been localized to keep me busy/happy.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:58:53 am »
I'm not sure smt games would be fun w/o being able to read. They seem rather txt heavy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:58:40 am »
Same here...Plenty of SMT games in languages that I can read & understand will prevent me from buying/playing games in languages that I don't know.

To be honest, I've *Never* played a game (just to play it) where I couldn't read/understand anything that was going on in it...and I don't think that I ever will.

The 'closest' that I've come would be some of the Agarest Wars games that I've played that are 100% voiced in Japanese but have English sub-titles.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:27 pm »
I have lots of rhythm games in Japanese...I read Katakana pretty quickly so I can easily figure things out when there's not too much text.

RPGs though, that's a little different. I have Mother 2 and I played it through, but I've played Earthbound so many times I knew what was being said.  I've got the first Shin Megami game for the Super Famicom, but I got it fairly cheap in a stack of import games.

Old games, I can read the Japanese OK because the graphics wouldn't allow the more complicated Kanji to be displayed so a lot of it was written phonetically. Anything CD based or higher however, and I'm sorta taking a crap shoot on how much I'll get out of it.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."