Author Topic: FINISH HIM, Flawless Victory, Disassembly.  (Read 3343 times)

ffxik

FINISH HIM, Flawless Victory, Disassembly.
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:50 am »
Fifty points to the one that can identify these sad wretches.  Althought it's not that difficult, at all.   :D

I originally posted this as kind of a joke, but I got to thinking,  why not?! I could do some disassembly tutorials on the Hardware & Tech forum complete with pictures of the systems I own.  Wouldn't be the first time taking any one of them apart.  It would take a while I only have a digital camera and no way to do video.  So you would be stuck with still pictures.   :(

So what do you all think?  Yay, Nay, let me know.   8)

tpugmire

Re: FINISH HIM, Flawless Victory, Disassembly.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
Its a gamecube, and I'd be interested in disassembly pictures.   I'm into fixing consoles, so I think it would be cool.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:45:26 pm »
Its a gamecube, and I'd be interested in disassembly pictures.   I'm into fixing consoles, so I think it would be cool.

Fifty points you good sir. lol  :)
Yup, two Gamecubes tore apart.  I was swapping parts.  I fix/maintain my own consoles especially after realizing the cost of having someone else do it.  I figured if they can do it so can I.

I also realize that almost any disassembly tutorial can be found online.  However I have had to search quite a bit for them on lesser known systems.  I was looking to consolodate so to speak tutorials using what few systems I own into one site for easy access for anybody.  I would also like to point out common problems with each system and (hopefully) fixes to go with it.

Systems I own include

Intellivision
Colecovision
Atari 2600 (4-switch)
Atari Jaguar
Jaguar CD
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64
Gamecube
Wii
Sega Master System
Genesis Models 1 & 2
Sega CD
Sega 32x
Saturn
Dreamcast
Playstation (NOT the PSONE)
Playstation 2 (Fat)
Xbox
Xbox 360
Panasonic 3DO FZ-10
Turbografix 16
Turbo CD
Neo Geo AES
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:44:23 pm by ffxik »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:02:17 pm »
How complex/difficult are the (Slim) PS2's to work on?
(For example...if I wanted to be able to play Japanese games on an American one - would it be cheaper & simpler to just buy a Japanese PS2)?

Know anything about/have any experience w/ the Launch ("FAT") PS3's and the "Yellow-Light's-of-Death" that plague them?

*Keep in mind...I only have one-hand to work with if & when saying how simple 'n' easy something is to do :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »
PS:

Something like a "common problems & fixes" kind of topic/FAQ *DOES* sound seriously Awesome :)

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »
(For example...if I wanted to be able to play Japanese games on an American one - would it be cheaper & simpler to just buy a Japanese PS2)?

Know anything about/have any experience w/ the Launch ("FAT") PS3's and the "Yellow-Light's-of-Death" that plague them?

*Keep in mind...I only have one-hand to work with if & when saying how simple 'n' easy something is to do :P

Well usually getting a NTSC PS2 to play imports isnt that hard.  For the Slim you will need to disassemble the system and there is a switch in the rear of the console that will need to be taped down, after that put it back together and wad a small ball of tissue papper into the little hole at the far right corner of the disc tray.  The corner closest to you when your standing in front of it.  That should do it for the soft mod on the hardware however,  you will also need the Swap Magic disc for the top loading system.  which can be downloaded online for about $30 and then burnt to a DVD

As far as the PS3 goes the YLOD is simmilar to the RROD.  It's caused by overheating.  Usually on the launch models it gets so hot it breaks the solder points on the proccessor.  It can be re-soldered but you will more than likely have the problem again.  On the other hand if it got too hot and ruined the proccessor then thats it, it's dead.  Disassembling the PS3 isn't THAT hard but for you it could be quite the chore.  Re-assembling on the other hand is quite frustrating to those of us with both hands, so it could be a futile effort in your case.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.   :(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:45:38 pm by ffxik »

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »

I did the Slim PS2 with one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Slim-70000-Mod-Case-Flip-Top-Cover-NEW-Playstation-2-FlipTop-Part-/280885408068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166133144.

Basically, instead of all the things ffxik said, you replace the CD cover with that thing. Then let the Swap Magic start. Then open the inside cover, swap discs, and go. Thing will think it's closed the whole time. And as far as Japanese games go, I suggest this game: http://www.d3p.co.jp/zombie/. It's basically "Zombie vs. Ambulance" and it's one of the strangest things I've ever played. It was one of the Simple 2000 series (games that retailed in Japan for 2000 yen, basically about $16 at the time it came out) so don't expect in-depth game playing. But without knowing any Japanese, you can still create one ridiculous looking ambulance and run over a lot of Zombies.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:16:18 pm »
Thanks for both of your replies.

Both of your links interested me, Amauriel...

How does all of this stuff work when it comes to b/c?

Example A:
-Would modding a NA PS2 to play Japanese PS2 games...also allow it to play  Japanese PS1 games?

Example B w/ the lauch PS3.

It's region-free (the ps3, that is).

Apparently, it's *NOT* region-free when it comes to playing PS1 & PS2 games from other regions (& it is b/c for both PS1 & PS2 games).

Is there another, similar, simple & basic "adjustment"/over-ride in this case too?

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »

I did the Slim PS2 with one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Slim-70000-Mod-Case-Flip-Top-Cover-NEW-Playstation-2-FlipTop-Part-/280885408068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166133144.

Basically, instead of all the things ffxik said, you replace the CD cover with that thing. Then let the Swap Magic start. Then open the inside cover, swap discs, and go. Thing will think it's closed the whole time. And as far as Japanese games go, I suggest this game: http://www.d3p.co.jp/zombie/. It's basically "Zombie vs. Ambulance" and it's one of the strangest things I've ever played. It was one of the Simple 2000 series (games that retailed in Japan for 2000 yen, basically about $16 at the time it came out) so don't expect in-depth game playing. But without knowing any Japanese, you can still create one ridiculous looking ambulance and run over a lot of Zombies.

Those work nicely.  I have modded several systems, but people in my area never want to spend any money to do it.  So I always revert to inexpensive way, that and admittedly I forgot about those.   

Thanks for both of your replies.

Both of your links interested me, Amauriel...

How does all of this stuff work when it comes to b/c?

Example A:
-Would modding a NA PS2 to play Japanese PS2 games...also allow it to play  Japanese PS1 games?

Example B w/ the lauch PS3.

It's region-free (the ps3, that is).

Apparently, it's *NOT* region-free when it comes to playing PS1 & PS2 games from other regions (& it is b/c for both PS1 & PS2 games).

Is there another, similar, simple & basic "adjustment"/over-ride in this case too?

PSX and PS2 games have a code on the disc that the system must pick up to confirm that the right region disc is in the same region system.  It's not so much the PS3 as it is the lock out code on the disc  Thats why when playing imports on PSX you have to get it past a certain point on the boot up phase.  While it's booting it's looking for that specific code.  Well you can soft mod the 1st and 2nd generation PSX, the PSONE on the other hand must be chipped.

Well Swap Magic has two discs DVD for PS2 and CD for playing back up PS1 games on the PS2, so I would imagine it would work for imports.

As for overriding the PS3 I would say no, since this generation is *usually* on the net they constantly scan the system for changes to the hardware/software so they could ban the console.  For the systems the fat PS2 has a disdc try that you have to use a slide card to unlock to open the drive to play imports.  The slim it's about keeping the button in the system that tells it that the disc cover is closed pressed down so it doesnt exit the boot proccess.  As for auto loading drive like the PS3 and Wii you will need to tamper with the software or hardware, and then it's ban city.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »
Thanks - That's all good to know.

ATM, I don't really have enough out-of-region games to warrant buying/modding anything anyhow, but it's always nice to have an idea of what's involved for if/when I ever do want to do something like that...

madmax

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:34 am »
So messy :o

When I take my PS3 apart (done it 7-8 times now) I like everything up by order it's been removed in, I have tape (facing up) with screws lined up on it in the correct order.
I know the system by heart by now but I can't help doing it that way :P

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:35 am »

When I take my PS3 apart (done it 7-8 times now) I like everything up by order it's been removed in, I have tape (facing up) with screws lined up on it in the correct order.

I used to use the tape method too, but after taking them apart so many time I could do it in my sleep.  Yea it's a mess.  That's what I get for using our bed.  The kitchen table was in use at the time and someone showes up at my hous at 10 pm saying "My Gamecubes not reading discs or doing much anything else.  Fix it." 

Sad thing is I could have avoided that whole debacle had I actually NOT believed the guy who dropped it off.   First thing I ask when dealing with top loaders is,

"Did you try cleaning the lens?"
"Yes."
"Really?"
" (expletive)Yea, man I did"

Took it apart swapped some parts still didn't work.  So I cleaned the lens, and lo and behold it fires right up.

"Cleaned the lens, huh..."
"Errr.."
"The next time I see this thing it's going on Ebay."

I was irate at the end it ws 4 am when I finished re-assembling both systems and testing them out.  Top it all off he didn't pay me. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:20 am »

Have you fixed YLoD's on the older "fat" PS3's.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 10:37:26 am »

I used to use the tape method too, but after taking them apart so many time I could do it in my sleep.  Yea it's a mess.  That's what I get for using our bed.  The kitchen table was in use at the time and someone showes up at my hous at 10 pm saying "My Gamecubes not reading discs or doing much anything else.  Fix it." 

Sad thing is I could have avoided that whole debacle had I actually NOT believed the guy who dropped it off.   First thing I ask when dealing with top loaders is,

"Did you try cleaning the lens?"
"Yes."
"Really?"
" (expletive)Yea, man I did"

Took it apart swapped some parts still didn't work.  So I cleaned the lens, and lo and behold it fires right up.

"Cleaned the lens, huh..."
"Errr.."
"The next time I see this thing it's going on Ebay."

I was irate at the end it ws 4 am when I finished re-assembling both systems and testing them out.  Top it all off he didn't pay me.

*ALWAYS* Get Paid (at least partially) In ADVANCE!!!

soera

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »
Since the slim ps2 was mentioned ... I got one in that really big lot I got. It turns on but nothing else happens. Any idea how tough that is to fix?