Author Topic: IGN just acquired a ton of their competitors  (Read 429 times)

tripredacus

Re: IGN just acquired a ton of their competitors
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2024, 12:17:42 pm »
All major new sources have paid articles. It even happens in television news, especially for local TV news where segments consist of three things primarily: 1. Local stories, 2. national stories, 3. paid stories. The paid stories are done as a form of advertising, they are either acquired by the company itself (they have sales departments) or come from one of the services they subscribe to. Print media does the same thing and since online news websites are based on the workings of legacy (print and television) media, it is expected that they work the same way.

In the early internet things were different because those legacy media corporations did not have a large foothold. Sure they had their own websites but there were many other websites that sprang up where news was being delivered by non-affiliated aka regular people. This is "on the streets" reporting which is usually better in at least that it is organic. Over time those new internet alternatives disappeared, either were bought by the new guard of online media (who were able to suplant legacy media since they were not quick enough to adapt) or disappeared over time like forums. Independent media barely exists now and the on-the-streets equivalent is only found on social media sites.

There is always going to be bias. The big company's bias is driven by money and the regular person bias is their own opinions. You won't ever escape that as there are far too few people who are able to deliver information in that way. And if metrics are correct, people tend to prefer news that is biased or opinionated more than just straight information. Straight info is the domian of specialized fields (science and finance) and the average person is not interested in that type of information.

kypherion

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2024, 04:42:48 pm »
Game journalism has been... not great... for a long time. There's a lot of crap out there. The best of the gaming sites IMO, GameTrailers.com, died out a long time ago.

This.

From IGN's "Gone to GameCube" article found here:https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/02/11/gone-to-gamecube.

Just straight up news with some screenshots you might not find anywhere else. No "Opinion" articles like on Kotaku. I don't know who wrote the article (IGN says "Peer/96Sturmvogel96") and to be honest I don't care. It gets the job done and that's what matters. I have information and knowledge, not some "freelance writer" profile picture sitting in my memory.

It doesn't feel like news anymore either. IMHO the overall standard of diction has decreased (I say, using an acronym). Further back it felt like an actual group peer reviewed magazines and even websites to make the diction feel like this is a statement made by an organization. Instead, nowadays an article is written by Joe Schmo with his twitter handle in his IGN profile. E.g., my "Pocket Games 7" GameCube guide (not endorsed by Nintendo) FEELS like a gaming magazine. IGN articles do not feel like gaming magazines and instead feel like a paper. I'm aware a magazine is not a website, however the writing principle is the same.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 05:32:55 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

telekill

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2024, 05:53:41 pm »
While I don't interact with any of the affected news outlets at all, the major takeaway is industry consolidation. In short, competition is good.

Unfortunately, both IGN and PushSquare groups are heavily left leaning, so if they post anything that has to do with politics, even moderately conservative opinions will be removed and users banned.

I would argue the worse part is that these so called journalists directly try to push their agendas, directly want to take influence on creative freedom and basically dictate what is ok and what isn't (in their mind).

Both left and right wing politics have a vocal voice within the industry. While journalism itself may be dominated by the former, there are just as many news coverage and reactionary YouTube channels for the latter, which the argument could be made are just as influential with their respective audiences. If you think one group "directly [tries] to push their agendas" and wants "to take influence on creative freedom and basically dictate what is ok," then you must acknowledge that the statement applies to individuals from both groups, and certainly not all individuals. That is all I have to say on the matter.

Please give me examples of conservative leaning gaming media. Not poking the bear. Genuinely want to know about them so I can watch their content.

dhaabi

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2024, 06:24:49 pm »
Both left and right wing politics have a vocal voice within the industry. While journalism itself may be dominated by the former, there are just as many news coverage and reactionary YouTube channels for the latter, which the argument could be made are just as influential with their respective audiences.

Please give me examples of conservative leaning gaming media. Not poking the bear. Genuinely want to know about them so I can watch their content.

Search for the latest major "controversy" in gaming news. For example, you'll have luck when searching news for the upcoming game Assassin's Creed Shadows regarding its protagonist. Similar to what tripredacus explained, this is more like "on the streets" reporting since these channels are largely independent, although I'm sure a considerable amount are sponsored. Regardless, these channels certainly have dedicated audiences.