Author Topic: Adjustments to the Apple Pippin category?  (Read 640 times)

Adjustments to the Apple Pippin category?
« on: July 12, 2024, 02:47:27 pm »
Hey there. I was wondering if it would be possible to update the Apple Pippin category on this site. I recently obtained a new Bandai Pippin game and found that it has not been added to the database yet. After looking a little deeper I noticed that the site has not split North American and Japanese Pippin items like you do all the other consoles. It's also woefully under populated with only 10 items combined when theres like 45 JP titles and 20 US, plus different JP and US consoles and accessories. There's also a few Eu items but those are so rare I wouldn't know where to begin on that. I wouldn't mind assisting with the Pippin library if the categories are set up correctly.

Any chance it would be possible to update that category to reflect the different regions?

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

dhaabi

Re: Adjustments to the Apple Pippin category?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 03:22:36 pm »
Hey there. I was wondering if it would be possible to update the Apple Pippin category on this site. I recently obtained a new Bandai Pippin game and found that it has not been added to the database yet. I wouldn't mind assisting with the Pippin library if the categories are set up correctly.

Regarding items which are missing from the database, any member is free to submit new entries to any existing category, so you are more than welcome to do that.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 03:34:52 pm »
I've added plenty of stuff to this site and helped trip update the images for some games that very few of us here own. Just don't want to waste my time adding items to a category that isn't set up properly.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 05:14:09 pm »
Whether the category is "set up properly" or not means little since a general category for Apple Pippin currently does exist. Along those same lines, an entry's categorization is able to be freely updated at any point. Should the Apple Pippin sub-category be divided into smaller regional categories later on, then moving relevant entries is a simple task to complete. If you're wanting to create the entries, there isn't any reason to wait for any action to happen, should it happen at all. Also, bear in mind that not all sections have regional categories.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 05:37:24 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 11:15:32 am »
Yes it needs to be done just because the current Pippin category is set as "games" and has non-game items in it.

Use existing cat setup
- create Apple Consoles sub-cat to put the systems into
- all Pippin accessories go into the existing Apple Accessory sub-cat
- existing games sub-cat to Pippin [NA]
- create Apple Pippin [JP]

Now there are some potential naming issues. In Japan, the console is Bandai Pippin. I can't readily find a picture of the box the US system came in to know its branding. But if this means that it is a Bandai system, then there is this alternative

Using Bandai parent
- consoles go into existing Bandai Consoles sub-cat
- accessories go into existing Bandai Accessory sub-cat
- move the existing Apple Pippin sub-cat from Apple to Bandai (US games go into here)
- create Bandai Pippin sub-cat in Bandai (for the Japanese games)

I'm leaning more towards this second option.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 11:28:12 am »
Now there are some potential naming issues. In Japan, the console is Bandai Pippin. I can't readily find a picture of the box the US system came in to know its branding.

When also searching for the @World term, I was able to find images of the NA box. However, it still isn't clear from the images whether it's Apple or Bandai. But, Bandai is observed on the actual NA console, which seems to answer the question.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 11:35:46 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 11:34:05 am »
It seems to be a Bandai product in the US also. The fact it runs MacOS I don't think matters, it puts it in league the the Dreamcast.