Author Topic: Playstation 5 Pro  (Read 1187 times)

Re: Playstation 5 Pro
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2024, 01:00:14 pm »
Supposedly PS5's with disc drives are sold out most places. I think this is a clear sign few people want a digital only platform. I know some people don't care and would rather not deal with the hastle of buying physical games from the store, but I believe these people are mostly in the minority, at least I hope so. Regardless this all seems promising in terms of Sony rethinking any idea of going digital only next gen.

Sadly its also a clear sign thatp people are so brainwashed and enslaved by branding they are financially irresponsible enough to spend 825 dollars (the price of a car payment in the US) for slightly better tree fidelity on like 3 games. And not actually be sensible enough to prevent price gouging with their wallets.

It indeed shows we want physical. It also shows we are willing to be ripped off for it. Which is not ok. Sony knows it. Easy 80-150 dollars per customer just in disc drives. Time to stand ground already.

Honestly, I think it's the scalpers buying all the disc drives so they can charge $1500 for the PS5 Pro with a disc drive on eBay. I hope people have wised up and refuse to pay scalpers, leaving them holding 20+ systems and being thousands of dollars in debt, but I also know people are incredibly stupid.

I didnt even think of that. I hope you're right.  Funny enough a local guy bought out like 400 Playstation Portals when they dropped from every retailer and online and all. I guess he assumed they would be some hot commotity on the level of the ps4 or psp.

It bombed. The stock was massively bountiful. And you cant give the things away. I still see him trying to sell them for way over retail trying to get back some of his investment. He has a wall of them. Serves him right.

Anyone who pays a company 80-150 dollars for the privilege of using the physical media the console uses deserves what they get.  Be like if the snes had a lock on the flap. And in order to insert a cartridge you had to buy a 100 dollar key. Otherwise you only had built in thoughts and prayers.   

Off topic. And a big stretch. If Xbox releases a mid console gen release, for 600 dollars. With a disc drive. And market it as the pro killer. And bundle it with GTA 6. This console war could certainly turn around. PS1 did it to N64. Crazier things have happened.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2024, 10:11:43 pm »
Supposedly PS5's with disc drives are sold out most places. I think this is a clear sign few people want a digital only platform. I know some people don't care and would rather not deal with the hastle of buying physical games from the store, but I believe these people are mostly in the minority, at least I hope so. Regardless this all seems promising in terms of Sony rethinking any idea of going digital only next gen.

Sadly its also a clear sign thatp people are so brainwashed and enslaved by branding they are financially irresponsible enough to spend 825 dollars (the price of a car payment in the US) for slightly better tree fidelity on like 3 games. And not actually be sensible enough to prevent price gouging with their wallets.

It indeed shows we want physical. It also shows we are willing to be ripped off for it. Which is not ok. Sony knows it. Easy 80-150 dollars per customer just in disc drives. Time to stand ground already.

Honestly, I think it's the scalpers buying all the disc drives so they can charge $1500 for the PS5 Pro with a disc drive on eBay. I hope people have wised up and refuse to pay scalpers, leaving them holding 20+ systems and being thousands of dollars in debt, but I also know people are incredibly stupid.

I hope that's not the case, but from experience I know you're at least partially right about that.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2024, 03:37:57 pm »
We need to tell those selling digital-only consoles that this will not be tolerated. The last new console I'll ever buy is likely the Switch 2.

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2024, 03:55:00 pm »
Yeah. There's no way in hell I'm buying a PS5 Pro. Even here in the States (we're not united anymore so no point in putting that part in), it's $700 which is paltry in comparison to the $880 expected from those living in the EU.

1. No disc drive. (seperate cost of $80) 120 euro in europe which is another 133 dollar to givve an comparison
2. Devs can't even max out the PS5 as it is.
3. Little to no discernable difference in visuals.
4. Few games of interest for the entire generation.
5. No games in the pipe that are must haves.

No thanks Sony. Take the PS5 Pro and shove it up your greedy asses.

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2024, 11:06:34 pm »
We need to tell those selling digital-only consoles that this will not be tolerated. The last new console I'll ever buy is likely the Switch 2.

Same, assuming the rumors that it'll still use physical media are true.

telekill

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2024, 01:19:16 am »

Backwards compatibility with Switch games will be a massive deciding factor for me buying the family a Switch 2 any time soon. In fact, if Twilight Princess isn't announced for Switch, I'm far more likely to just buy a Gamecube again instead.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2024, 02:15:51 am »

Backwards compatibility with Switch games will be a massive deciding factor for me buying the family a Switch 2 any time soon. In fact, if Twilight Princess isn't announced for Switch, I'm far more likely to just buy a Gamecube again instead.

Backwards compatibility is definitely a huge factor into me jumping in right away into the next Switch, it would be such a misstep to not have it, but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to make a poor decision like that lol  A good batch of launch games would entice me, but without a Zelda to go with, I'd need something like a Mario Odyssey 2 to be excited.  Twilight Princess HD getting ported over would be nice though, been wanting to replay it.

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2024, 03:51:37 am »

Backwards compatibility is definitely a huge factor into me jumping in right away into the next Switch, it would be such a misstep to not have it, but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to make a poor decision like that lol  A good batch of launch games would entice me, but without a Zelda to go with, I'd need something like a Mario Odyssey 2 to be excited.  Twilight Princess HD getting ported over would be nice though, been wanting to replay it.

Since were making grocery lists of features for big N Daddy to adorn us with lol. I will add the need for a trophy system. Difficult settings for their games. Two things Nintendo seems to be allergic to. But for the love of all things gaming. Its 2024. How on earth does Nintendo not have a trophy system? Just for enthusiasts of that alone.  It literally gives every single game added replay value. Its fun. Its exciting. Borderline addicting. I feel its stubborn pride if they dont do it next console. Some things need to be copied. Its part of success.

And backwards compat. Xbox and Playstation have both managed it this gen. Nintendo has to if they want to maintain these sales. I even politely ponder the idea of a console that plays both cartridge and disc. And can do Wii U and Wii as well. But one can only dream.

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2024, 01:30:21 pm »

If the Switch 2 embraces physical media in general, I will buy one. If backwards compatibility is included than it will make that purchase even easier for me. As for games, I believe any of the following games could be available at launch or released shortly after. Needless to say, if any of these are announced as launch titles, I'll be one of those crazy people picking mine up at midnight from Gamestop.

-New Mainline 3D Mario game (Odyssey 2 maybe?)
-Metroid Prime 4 (will probably be a multiplat with Switch)
-Splatoon 4
-HD port of Retro Zelda game (OoT or MM HD would be at the top of my list personally)
-New F-Zero game
-New Starfox game

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2024, 01:06:46 pm »
Welp did my part today. I had saved up for years and didnt own a ps5 for 4 years because the pro was always my bag. I always liked that if you buy the pro. You skip all the bugs, shortages, and price hikes and get the best version of the gen hardware. I even did that before pro like the ps one, ps3 super slim.

Well today I got 2 PS5 slim disc editions from a 3rd party source. One for me. One for my gf. Literally 2 consoles and a handful of games. Cheaper than the pro.

The only way to defeat it is with our wallets. Sony believes digital only wannabe PC rigs are the future of home consoles.  They didnt ask. They told us what we wanted. Half lazyness. Half greed. Well they can eat it.

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2024, 04:16:40 pm »
Digital Foundry analysis of PS5 Pro upgrades makes it seem even worse than it already does: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1fhk4hd/rumor_alan_wake_2_runs_at_840p_60fps_on_the_ps5/

Notes from the Digital Foundry Direct Weekly #180 - PS5 Pro Breakdown:

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it's using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Horizon Forbidden West - resolution didn't look 4K. They presume it's not using PSSR but hard to tell. Thinking it is using 4K checkerboard but again hard to tell. PS5 vs PS5 Pro has the Pro with higher detail.

Hogwarts Legacy : RT reflections looks better on the PS5 Pro but has some visual noise in the background. RT shadows might be mixed with SSR but look to be an improvement over base PS5. 30 fps in the footage but the presume it'll have 60fps modes as the base PS5 has it.

Gran Turismo 7 - RT reflections in game appear to be quarter resolution (1080p). 8k mode. Lower resolution (1188p) in the PS5 Pro footage and probably using PSSR to bring it up to 4K where the base game without RT reflections is a Native 4K. RT looks better than Forza Motorsport.

Dragon's Dogma 2 / Assassins Creed Shadows - DG2 looks to be running at 60fps and might be using PSSR. ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fps

These are the analysis on the footage that was shown and nothing else. DF expects some of these games to have multiple PS5 Pro modes but that remains to be seen.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2024, 05:24:58 pm »
Basically what I thought.  Most stuff will run at 60, but with slightly better picture quality, so barely an upgrade from what most people can do right now and all for an extra 300 bucks.  Wild.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2024, 08:44:59 am »
I feel like we are on the brink of another video game crash. This can't be sustainable anymore. I have never in my life not cared about a console generation cycle. This has got to be the worst one so far. My wife and I each have a PS5 and we hardly touch it. I own less than a dozen games and most of them are now on PC. I usually only buy a game on PS5 now if I want that copy physically or has a special edition that I want that's not on PC or Switch. $900 for a PS5 Pro with a disc drive and stand is insane, but people are still going to buy it up. I hope it's a major loss for Sony. It kind of makes me scared for the Switch 2. I own almost 200 physical Switch games just for portability alone.

The Xbox Series X is the first Microsoft console I have passed on. It's just a mid-range PC. Every single game is now on PC so what's the point. It would sit collecting dust just like my Xbox One X has been. I only use it to play backwards compatible games that are in my backlog.

Video game companies are not giving people enough incentive to stay on consoles.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 08:47:35 am by BinaryMessiah »

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2024, 09:25:39 am »
I feel like we are on the brink of another video game crash. This can't be sustainable anymore. I have never in my life not cared about a console generation cycle. This has got to be the worst one so far. My wife and I each have a PS5 and we hardly touch it. I own less than a dozen games and most of them are now on PC. I usually only buy a game on PS5 now if I want that copy physically or has a special edition that I want that's not on PC or Switch. $900 for a PS5 Pro with a disc drive and stand is insane, but people are still going to buy it up. I hope it's a major loss for Sony. It kind of makes me scared for the Switch 2. I own almost 200 physical Switch games just for portability alone.

The Xbox Series X is the first Microsoft console I have passed on. It's just a mid-range PC. Every single game is now on PC so what's the point. It would sit collecting dust just like my Xbox One X has been. I only use it to play backwards compatible games that are in my backlog.

Video game companies are not giving people enough incentive to stay on consoles.

Agreed. Not to mention that half the PS5 games id want are on PS freaking 4 lol. What console gen deliberately advertises that decade old hardware can play their newest titles.  And sometimes the PS4 pro keeps better frames than PS5 because devs know how to utlize games for it better.

Thats just sad that almost 5 years into a console generation we still have a gap small as centipede pubics between PS5 and its own grandmother the ps4. 

I actually.seen a comment that put it best

Sony has become the apple of gaming.

Nintendo is the disney of gaming.

Apple removes features and releases the same design and charges you 1000 dollars for the privilege

Disney sells you nostalgia.wholesale.and relies.on millrnials.trapped in a cycle of attempting to relive the feelings of being a kid again. By pawning that nostalgia off on their kids so the cycle continues.

Sounds like Nintendo and Sony to me.

Xbox is..... well..... ummm.... microsoft lol.  Their console is kinda on par for their brand. Specs, data and work. User interface. Stream services. Like comparing a guitar teacher to paul mcartney. You got the numbers. But wheres the soul?

My interpretation anyway.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2024, 10:13:07 am »
Personally I'd say Microsoft is more like Disney than Nintendo is... After all both are buying up properties and IPs then gutting them into an unrecognizable state.