Author Topic: The Best Retro Game Music - 8bit and above  (Read 701 times)

The Best Retro Game Music - 8bit and above
« on: September 27, 2024, 07:02:03 am »
Hello everybody,

a post in a different thread made be start this thread.
Everybody involved in retro gaming has some favourite tunes out of his/her favourite games.

Show us what your favourite retro game soundtrack is!

Post single songs or whole games in which the soundtrack captured you especially.
I hope this thread gets many replies for I think every retro gamer (especially those with music affinity) knows some musical pearls and jewels. And I think it's worthwhile to list those up !  8)

Let me start with a whole game, whose soundtrack really captivated me intensely:

GoldenEye 64
Almost every tune in this game is a banger - I like to listen through the remade Soundtrack that's availlable on youtube in many forms. But even the original soundtrack has a certain spiy feel to it and had us play this shooter for years in a row. Besides many RPG-Soundtracks, I consider the Soundtrack of GoldenEye 64 one of my al time favourites.

Now let's go - let us see how many great compositions we're able to round up !  8)

Your's stonedly

Bizz
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

dhaabi

Re: The Best Retro Game Music - 8bit and above
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2024, 10:58:41 am »
Apart from rhythm games, the best example for me of a game (and entire series, really) that's so characterized by its music is Katamari Damacy. Its eclectic soundtrack comprised of the shibuya-kei genre's expansive sounds elevates an experience that's already bizarre into something much more memorable. For a lot of players outside of Japan, the series was their introduction to this style of music, so it's left a strong impression on many.

Right now where I am, it's a rainy, gray, and altogether dreary day, so I think that's why I started to select tracks to share to reflect that. Choosing "the best" or even a favorite group of song tracks is near impossible for someone like me, but the ones below all stand out to me favorably.

Animal Crossing: City Folk - Stale Cupcakes
Ape Escape - Time Station
Chulip - A Single Guy's Serenade
Digimon World - File City (Night)
Final Fantasy IX - Frontier Dali Village
Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme (Acoustic)
Kingdom Hearts II - Lazy Afternoons
OutRun - Last Wave
Tetrisphere - Sappy
We Love Katamari - Angel Rain

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2024, 04:25:53 am »
Final Fantasy Legend II for me. Besides being the game I cut my teeth on when it came to RPGs, it had an amazing soundtrack that pushed the limits of what a Game Boy could do. I also still consider the boss music to be in my top boss battle music of all time.

Struggle to The Death - Final Fantasy Legend II

Thinking of other retro boss battle songs I love

World Revolution - Chrono Trigger (Also made into an excellent musical song alongside the rest of the OST)
End of a Thought - Tales of Symphonia
Eternity - Blue Dragon
King Dedede's Theme - Kirby Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2024, 11:17:05 am »
Oh man! There are so many!

I am a HUGE fan of video game music. In fact, I have a designated playlist on my phone of about 1500 video game songs that I regularly listen to while driving, working, studying, or whatever. These are the ones that have the best music overall in my book.

Sin and Punishment (N64)
Sonic 3 and Knuckles (Genesis)
FInal Fantasy X (PS2)
Zone of the Enders (PS2)
Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)
Sonic R (Saturn)
Nights into Dreams (Saturn)
Super Mario 64 (N64)
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (N64)
Super Street Fighter 2 (Arcade)
Virtua Fighter (Arcade)
Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade)
Daytona USA (Arcade)
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
Battle Garegga (Arcade)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2024, 11:44:29 pm »
I’ve said it for years. Folks are sleeping on the Rygar soundtrack. It’s old. It’s 8-bit. But it’s full of bangers. I think the second part is called Gran Mountain

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2024, 05:07:10 pm »
Pretty much every Castlevania soundtrack is filled with straight fire.  Especially the later Metroidvania titles.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 03:55:31 am »
Pretty much every Castlevania soundtrack is filled with straight fire.  Especially the later Metroidvania titles.

Agreed. Castlevania Adventure on GB brings some of the greatest tunes on this handheld f.e.

Thanks for all the great music so far! Keep it up!  8)

Another RPG I kept in mind for having a great soundtrack was the SEGA megadrive/genesis title Sword of Vermilion.
Here you got my favourite tune out of it, though there are many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7GQ0L3hiNQ&list=PLE350DBB7638FC5D3&index=3
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 04:02:40 am by bizzgeburt »
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2024, 09:47:14 am »
Final Fantasy VI has some of the best songs ever written. The opera scene is a highlight, and Dancing Mad is the greatest boss theme ever.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2024, 02:40:36 pm »
A lot of X68000 OST's slap
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2024, 11:24:44 am »
Ok i have a mission for everyone on here with Retro game music knowledge...

When i was a kid I distinctly remember playing a game on the ZX Spectrum in the mid 1980s that had a tune i really liked on it.  I remember later finding out that the tune was the bass riff from Metallica - Orion.  I now cannot find that game!

I always thought it was a game called Dark Star, but i cannot find any music on that game now. Im guessing it was another early Spectrum release   ???

If anyone can find the game it would be awesome!

Metallica Bass Riff starts at 3:59

jipsy

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2024, 01:13:03 pm »
Can't believe no one else has brought up Doom.
Nase

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2024, 02:24:21 am »
Final Fantasy VI has some of the best songs ever written. The opera scene is a highlight, and Dancing Mad is the greatest boss theme ever.

Agreed - I for myself value the regular boss theme the most. That organ!  :o

WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2024, 02:26:55 am »
Ok i have a mission for everyone on here with Retro game music knowledge...

When i was a kid I distinctly remember playing a game on the ZX Spectrum in the mid 1980s that had a tune i really liked on it.  I remember later finding out that the tune was the bass riff from Metallica - Orion.  I now cannot find that game!

I always thought it was a game called Dark Star, but i cannot find any music on that game now. Im guessing it was another early Spectrum release   ???

If anyone can find the game it would be awesome!

Metallica Bass Riff starts at 3:59

I never played ZX Spectrum but I love that metallica instrumental orion! What was that game about? I'm shure there's a way to find it ...  8)

Besides, couldn't it be that instead of the games music creator being inspired by metallica, metallica may have been inspired by this game?  :o Consider the release year of this album ...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 02:28:48 am by bizzgeburt »
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!