Author Topic: Blogs?  (Read 5048 times)

tpugmire

Blogs?
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
What do you guys think about blogs in general?  Are they a waste of time and bandwidth?  Do people still read them?  I'm considering starting one, but I'm not sure that I'm interesting enough.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

Re: Blogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:54:12 pm »
I like blogs, but I always have trouble keeping up on them.  It's mainly that I don't do RSS feeds or use a dedicated website or any of that jazz.  However, I enjoy trying to support those that keep up a blog, because it's always nice for a blog writer to see a comment that isn't spam.  xD

If you start a blog though, send me the link!  Everyone's always got something interesting to say. :)
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:02:38 pm »
I have a blog that I make sure to never advertise. Seriously, the only "advertisement" I have for it is on my MSN (it may be gone right now, I need to figure out why that ebuddy message won't disappear), so to find me you gotta google it (I try to do fairly extensive SEO and change it from time to time to make sure google still picks me up).

I mostly write reviews, with the occasional rants, and people who want to see my stuff just find it, and generally complain because my opinion isn't the same as theirs. It's just a side thing I do for fun (it's one way I practice writing... my reviews from years ago a basically complete crap compared to my more recent ones, and even then I'm constantly experimenting), it was never really intended as a serious project (in fact, we started with 5 writers and now only I remain).

I don't think it's a waste of time if you enjoy doing it. I don't even care that the only comments I get are on 2-3 year old posts :P

I say try it out, see if you like doing it and such.

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »
I still read blogs. My favorites are the ones that are well written, update fairly often, but are not super popular. I add them to my Google Homepage so that I can see updates as soon as they happen.

Of course, I'm sorta a traditionalist on the Internet, so I'm probably not a good example of the general populace.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

madmax

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:46 pm »
Blogs are interesting but definitely hard to upkeep. I've tried on several occasions and its hard to have something interesting to say all the time. Especially if you blog about one thing in specific.

I've always wanted to blog about videogames and gaming but unless i get a new piece to the collection it's gonna be like " Today i played Diablo" :P

Give it a try though, you have nothing to lose :)

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
I used to read blogs all the time, but I started subscribing to so many, it was too hard to keep up.  Short posts with pictures was always nice, if anything.  Not too many videos were good too (for clandestine blogreading at work).

But seriously, once Google changed the look of their Reader, I immediately stopped using it.  I've moved over to following blog-type folks through Twitter.  A little easier to keep on top of things without having to open up a browser page (I have a desktop app), and the short bursts of info are usually enough.

But I miss writing blogs - even if you don't have much of an audience, it's good to be able to write things out in order to think constructively about your world.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »
I like blogs.

soera

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
I find blogs annoying. Its just one person's silly thoughts on text.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:21 am »
I have a blog.

I used to write a lot about comics years ago, and you know why? Because I wanted to make people laugh with all the weird stuff I kept seeing.

Maybe I'll get back to doing that one day.

scott

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:33 am »
I have a blog.

I used to write a lot about comics years ago, and you know why? Because I wanted to make people laugh with all the weird stuff I kept seeing.

Maybe I'll get back to doing that one day.

That and he loves screaming "LIEEEEEEFIEEEEEELD!"
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread