Author Topic: Video Games/Series you like, but almost no one else does  (Read 4271 times)

pacpix

Video Games/Series you like, but almost no one else does
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:00:09 pm »
This topic idea popped in my head when I saw Turf picked up Super Hydlide for Sega Genesis.  For some reason I enjoy Hydlide on the NES.  I bought it expecting a crappy game and ended up playing it all day to completion .  I even replayed it over the summer just for fun.  I also bought the Japanese sequel, but have not had time to really play it yet.

How about you guys?
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

topspot123

Re: Video Games/Series you like, but almost no one else does
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »
What a strange coincidence!  I just watched this yesterday!

SPOILER ALERT:  He didn't care for Hydlide.

I have a few low reviewed games that I like, but probably the first one that comes to my mind is Alone in the Dark (Xbox 360)/Inferno (PS3).  For some reason I really enjoyed the game.  I even played the PS2 version to completion. 

When I play a game that I enjoy, but that reviewers didn't, I feel like I'm pulling for the underdog.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:31 am »

godnightshade

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:16 am »
Pokemon.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:03 am »
The PS3 cross-over RPG Cross Edge, is an *EXTREMELY* divisive & polarizing game...w/ the majority of players landing in the "hate" it side of this "Love/Hate" game.

Thing is, almost all of the complaints & flaws pointed-out by the "haters" - are accurate & valid.

- It has a horrible inventory/synthesizing system.

- The manual (and, even the strategy-guide) both come up waaaay short & fail miserably.

- In game tutorials aren't great...and...the "Help" screens would pretty much only make sense & be understandable to those who already know how everything works.

- A good amount of the story & dialogue is cheesy (but, I'll forgive it that one as it's to be expected from a game that mashes together characters from Disgaea, Ar tonelico, Mana Khemia 2, Atelier Marie, Spectral/Blazing Souls, Darkstalkers, etc --and-- it's a "NISA" game).

- *Nothing* makes sense (ex. once you open a menu, pressing "X" on a menu option may (and does) do something entirely different than pressing the Triangle button on the same option).

- It's brutally difficult & unforgiving, and, finally,

- There's never been a "Guide-Dang-It" game like this one.  You will never "luck into" or figure-out on your own how to get the "True End" because you must know when (which battles) you have to do such illogical, un-intuitive, and non-sensical things, such as, being locked-out of the True End for hitting/damaging the Boss that you're fighting.

In spite of all of this (or perhaps, because of it) I (and some others) absolutely *LOVE* the game!!!

(*only* after figuring-out & understanding how all of this game's complex bullshit actually works & functions).

Some other games that I had a lot of fun with were:

Radiata Stories,
Shadow Hearts: From the New World, and
FF X-2.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »
for its california speed for n64 and maybe its nostalgia glasses talking but i love it and tell who has not wanted to drive a golf cart right beside a convertible  in racing game
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:20:17 pm by htimreimer »

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »
I'm not sure if these really count as series that not many people like, but I have two that come to mind.

1. Lego -----.  Most "gamers" don't care much for these, since they are widely considered to be kids games, but I have gotten 100% on most of them.  I know the formula doesn't change much from game to game, and they are fairly simplistic in nature, but I've enjoyed them all.  As long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.  Really looking forward to Lord of the Rings!

2. Guitar Hero.  The fad seems to have ended now, but I still play Guitar Hero with my family.  I think my enjoyment comes not from the games themselves, but from playing with the wife and kids.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

topspot123

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:19:42 pm »
I'm not sure if these really count as series that not many people like, but I have two that come to mind.

1. Lego -----.  Most "gamers" don't care much for these, since they are widely considered to be kids games, but I have gotten 100% on most of them.  I know the formula doesn't change much from game to game, and they are fairly simplistic in nature, but I've enjoyed them all.  As long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.  Really looking forward to Lord of the Rings!

2. Guitar Hero.  The fad seems to have ended now, but I still play Guitar Hero with my family.  I think my enjoyment comes not from the games themselves, but from playing with the wife and kids.

I don't care much for the Lego games, they tend to bore me, but I wholeheartedly agree with Guitar Hero (and Rock Band).  I never really get sick of something that I enjoy, so like you said If they keep making them, or start making them again, I'll keep buying them!

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »
Aww Yeah! Art of fighting! love those games, need to get them on the AES soon though haha.
Some of the Lego games especially the Star Wars ones.
I enjoyed Metroid other M as well but the series is pretty well liked so Im not sure if that really counts.
I enjoy SNK fighting games more than Capcom fighting games especially the newer ones, Fatal Fury,Samurai Shodown,The King of Fighters all great
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:07:48 am by kingrat101 »

fiveforfightng

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:00:39 pm »
I think a lot of people like Pokémon, including me, so I don't think that works. I'd say racing games, I don't know a lot of people who like racing games, and I think they're alright. Specifically I'd say Gran Turismo or Need for Speed. To answer the question in reverse, I'd say RPGs. Everyone likes those, except for me (except for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!)
Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

lego games are not kids games and anyone who says that has not played lego racers on n64 or ps1 and i dare them to played it and see how long takes them to give up in frustration

tpugmire

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »

lego games are not kids games and anyone who says that has not played lego racers on n64 or ps1 and i dare them to played it and see how long takes them to give up in frustration

I was meaning the games like Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars, etc.  I've never tried the racing game.  Maybe I'll pick it up if I can find a copy locally.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

htimreimer

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »

I was meaning the games like Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars, etc.  I've never tried the racing game.  Maybe I'll pick it up if I can find a copy locally.
lego racers is easy to find and its cheap but its vary hard and if ever get you self copy i would love to know what you think of it

godnightshade

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »
I think a lot of people like Pokémon, including me, so I don't think that works. I'd say racing games, I don't know a lot of people who like racing games, and I think they're alright. Specifically I'd say Gran Turismo or Need for Speed. To answer the question in reverse, I'd say RPGs. Everyone likes those, except for me (except for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!)

None of my friends have the urge to catch 'em all like I do. It's so bad, I'm thinking about not getting White 2 and Black 2... I've even offered to buy copies for my friends so I'd have someone to play with. It never works.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:11 am »
Battle Arena Toshinden