Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1588222 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10605 on: April 21, 2016, 01:23:39 pm »
Not in our lifetime, amigo. Not sure what all this fear mongering is in the gaming community about bit rot and disc rot. It'll eventually happen, maybe to your grandkids. Even then I'd say that's too soon. Atari games still work perfectly fine. Hell, consoles and games before that still work fine.

Actually disc-rot is happening now and has crept into Sega CD and Saturn games.  It's not a condition related to age as one may think.  The cause is the adhesive that holds the two halves of the discs together isn't perfect.  If even the tiniest bit of moisture or other contaminants gets between these two layers, it causes corrosion to the inner surface where the data is imprinted.  That's all she wrote when this happens. 

PlayStation fans are safer.  The first PlayStation had black colored discs which was actually an additional protective layer that Sony coated the discs with.  This coating covered the outer rim of the disc as well, covering any gap the adhesive may have left behind.  Same goes for the blue PS2 discs.  I'm not sure about DVD game discs, but Blu-Ray discs have an extra layer of protection on them as well.

But to make a long story short, older game discs - especially those printed on compact discs - have a shelf life that isn't as long as you think.  Your best bet is to store them in a climate controlled place, out of sunlight and in their cases stored vertically.
Yeah, a guy I know posted a video of him destroying a Mega Man 8 Sega Saturn disc, made a ton of people angry.  After a few days he posted a picture showing that the disc had disc rot.
Everyone knows CD games pre-Playstation don't matter. It's hardly a loss. US release that is.
Sega Saturn isn't "pre-Playstation".  Would you call PS4 "pre-Xbox One"?  No.
I'm kidding for the most part. There is no debate on what console had the better games, answering Telly.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:27:35 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

Warmsignal

« Reply #10606 on: April 21, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »
For the record, I don't believe disc rot is really a thing. Or at least, anything to worry about as far as well kept video games. Someone poked a pin sized hole in the data layer of a game and called it disc rot. It happens. Sorry, but until I ever personally see it happen to a disc I know was good, I won't ever believe it.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10607 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:28 pm »
For the record, I don't believe disc rot is really a thing. Or at least, anything to worry about as far as well kept video games. Someone poked a pin sized hole in the data layer of a game and called it disc rot. It happens. Sorry, but until I ever personally see it happen to a disc I know was good, I won't ever believe it.
And why would so many people poke pin sized holes in CD's? For fun?

Badges

Warmsignal

« Reply #10608 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:41 pm »
And why would so many people poke pin sized holes in CD's? For fun?

Just happens. Wear and tear bud. Seen it happen to modern game discs.

« Reply #10609 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:08 pm »
I kind of don't understand what you are saying.  disc rot isn't a physical hole in the disc.  I've seen it a bunch, sure it could just be some one taking poor care of their discs, but if you can see through a disc in spots, it's the same effect, missing data.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10610 on: April 21, 2016, 01:44:14 pm »
Sooo... this weather eh?

Speaking of weather, here in south jersey, we just said wtf and skipped spring.

Seriously.

Right from 40-50 degree days to 80-90 degree days.

Gotta love the Jersey shore, for sure.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Warmsignal

« Reply #10611 on: April 21, 2016, 01:44:39 pm »
I kind of don't understand what you are saying.  disc rot isn't a physical hole in the disc.  I've seen it a bunch, sure it could just be some one taking poor care of their discs, but if you can see through a disc in spots, it's the same effect, missing data.

Just that seeing small holes of light through the disc doesn't necessarily mean it was caused by rot. Maybe if the disc was left out, used as a coaster, etc.

gf78

« Reply #10612 on: April 21, 2016, 01:45:28 pm »
That's really discouraging to hear about the Sega Saturn discs. I don't have many games for it, but the ones I do are extra special. I'd hate for them to become rotted.

Proper storage and care is key.  There are a ton of factors that can affect compact discs or other digital disc media.  Extreme temperatures are one of the worst.  Games stored in garages, sheds, etc. will experience this and the expansion and contraction will cause the adhesive to loosen.  Exposing them to constant sunlight will damage them.  A system and/or drive that becomes excessively hot could possibly cause damage to the disc.  HD-DVD's, especially Warner Bros. discs have a high percentage of failures due to corrosion of the aluminum data reflective layer where the information is stored due to poor adhesives in the manufacturing process.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the world.  The best you can do is protect and care for your discs and enjoy them for years to come. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10613 on: April 21, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »
 ::) :-X

Badges

« Reply #10614 on: April 21, 2016, 01:49:49 pm »
That's really discouraging to hear about the Sega Saturn discs. I don't have many games for it, but the ones I do are extra special. I'd hate for them to become rotted.

Proper storage and care is key.  There are a ton of factors that can affect compact discs or other digital disc media.  Extreme temperatures are one of the worst.  Games stored in garages, sheds, etc. will experience this and the expansion and contraction will cause the adhesive to loosen.  Exposing them to constant sunlight will damage them.  A system and/or drive that becomes excessively hot could possibly cause damage to the disc.  HD-DVD's, especially Warner Bros. discs have a high percentage of failures due to corrosion of the aluminum data reflective layer where the information is stored due to poor adhesives in the manufacturing process.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the world.  The best you can do is protect and care for your discs and enjoy them for years to come.
I will say though, I've never seen a PSX game with disc rot.  I have a PSX game with a dent in the disc and it still plays... it skips on FMVs, but it plays.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10615 on: April 21, 2016, 02:03:08 pm »
I think disc-rot is an old wives tales of worried gamers, too. I think those discs are bad because they were taken care of badly. I have music CDs released in the 80s that are still fine, and I still listen to, long before any gaming discs were pressed. And my entire PS1 collection still runs fine, when it comes to gaming.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10616 on: April 21, 2016, 02:07:21 pm »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

« Reply #10617 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:33 pm »
"Disc rot" isn't really rot, but it is a real thing.  If the aluminum layer in the center of the disc is exposed to air, water, etc. it will corrode.  This doesn't mean "Oh meh the gawdz!!!!  My games r rottin!"  It means that like everything else, it won't last forever. 

Like I said, taking care of games is the best way to ensure they don't crap out.  But you don't know how somebody else treated their games.  You don't know what conditions they were stored in .  Especially if you are buying used.  Even more so if you are buying ratty-ass disc-only games that have been tossed around, slapped in sleeves, stepped on and left in storage sheds and yard sale tables. 

I haven't personally had an issue with disc rot, but I have seen discs it has happened to.  If that center aluminum layer is exposed and begins to corrode, you will see the tell-tale "burn" or pinholes in it. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10618 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:54 pm »
Seriously, what is with 2016?

Prince?! Of all the people, it had to be Prince?!

No love for Chyna?

gf78

« Reply #10619 on: April 21, 2016, 03:23:09 pm »
Seriously, what is with 2016?

Prince?! Of all the people, it had to be Prince?!

No love for Chyna?

Well...I was never a wrestling fan and after seeing her in that "movie" with that ginormous thing  that was more male than female.....I mean I feel bad she died.  But I wasn't a fan.