Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1594408 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10590 on: April 20, 2016, 11:27:29 pm »
I dont think its a grey area. In the not so distant future physical media wont hold the games anymore and will either need to be rewritten or flashed, game preservation aint what it needs to be.
Not in our lifetime, amigo. Not sure what all this fear mongering is in the gaming community about bit rot and disc rot. It'll eventually happen, maybe to your grandkids. Even then I'd say that's too soon. Atari games still work perfectly fine. Hell, consoles and games before that still work fine.

Badges

abe

« Reply #10591 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:21 am »
I dont think its a grey area. In the not so distant future physical media wont hold the games anymore and will either need to be rewritten or flashed, game preservation aint what it needs to be.

It could be used for piracy so... yeah, grey area. I'm not getting into that stuff here.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10592 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:51 am »
So, we finally got around to watching the Revenant last night.

In our opinions, holy shit - what a looong and drawn-out let down!

I mean, I guess that more...artsy-inclined folks could appreciate it more for the light used in filming it but, I judge movies by 3 things:

1.  Enjoyment,

2.  Pace, and

3.  Dialogue.

I've got to say this flick failed miserably in all 3.

Yeah, sure - why not?
+ a couple of points for a realistic bear attack.

come at me...I mean

Thoughts?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #10593 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:17 am »
Whoa, I think I've got at least 30 pages to read since my last time in this topic... I don't think I can make it  :o

Your beard was magnificient, fighterpilot. :'(

kashell

« Reply #10594 on: April 21, 2016, 09:26:48 am »
Whoa, I think I've got at least 30 pages to read since my last time in this topic... I don't think I can make it  :o

Your beard was magnificient, fighterpilot. :'(

Hey, gorgeous! It's always a pleasure when you're around.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10595 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:24 am »
Karywho?  :o

Nice to see ya' back around!

Now get caught up with your homework and start reading dem pages, gurl  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

« Reply #10596 on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:57 am »
Not in our lifetime, amigo. Not sure what all this fear mongering is in the gaming community about bit rot and disc rot. It'll eventually happen, maybe to your grandkids. Even then I'd say that's too soon. Atari games still work perfectly fine. Hell, consoles and games before that still work fine.

Actually disc-rot is happening now and has crept into Sega CD and Saturn games.  It's not a condition related to age as one may think.  The cause is the adhesive that holds the two halves of the discs together isn't perfect.  If even the tiniest bit of moisture or other contaminants gets between these two layers, it causes corrosion to the inner surface where the data is imprinted.  That's all she wrote when this happens. 

PlayStation fans are safer.  The first PlayStation had black colored discs which was actually an additional protective layer that Sony coated the discs with.  This coating covered the outer rim of the disc as well, covering any gap the adhesive may have left behind.  Same goes for the blue PS2 discs.  I'm not sure about DVD game discs, but Blu-Ray discs have an extra layer of protection on them as well.

But to make a long story short, older game discs - especially those printed on compact discs - have a shelf life that isn't as long as you think.  Your best bet is to store them in a climate controlled place, out of sunlight and in their cases stored vertically. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #10597 on: April 21, 2016, 10:24:23 am »
hey I got a question someone may know. is their a trustworthy site out their where you can burn ps2 games that will directly work without any modification to the ps2? reason why im asking is I have a bunch (~40) ps2 games that I have accumulated that do not work for one reason or another and I would like to play at least one 2 of them.

I feel like this is a bit of a grey area and perhaps we shouldn't get into details on VGC, so I'll point you in the direction of Reddit's r/PS2 subreddit. The stickied post at the top of the subreddit's front page is what you'll want to check out. I'll make a disclaimer here in just in case and say it's meant for backups of things you own (which is what you're interested in) and not piratey things, so... I'll leave it at that. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! and yes I am a big proponent against pirating, rest assured I only intend on being able to play the games I physically own and the copy will never exchange hands. which is acceptable under copyright laws, still a grey area but acceptable.

lol on a somewhat related note last year while I was garage saling I came to a sale that had 3 police cruisers at it. they were arresting the owner of the sale for attempting to sell pirated media (older cd's, videogames, and movies).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:26:28 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #10598 on: April 21, 2016, 11:06:01 am »

Actually disc-rot is happening now and has crept into Sega CD and Saturn games.  It's not a condition related to age as one may think.  The cause is the adhesive that holds the two halves of the discs together isn't perfect.  If even the tiniest bit of moisture or other contaminants gets between these two layers, it causes corrosion to the inner surface where the data is imprinted.  That's all she wrote when this happens. 

PlayStation fans are safer.  The first PlayStation had black colored discs which was actually an additional protective layer that Sony coated the discs with.  This coating covered the outer rim of the disc as well, covering any gap the adhesive may have left behind.  Same goes for the blue PS2 discs.  I'm not sure about DVD game discs, but Blu-Ray discs have an extra layer of protection on them as well.

But to make a long story short, older game discs - especially those printed on compact discs - have a shelf life that isn't as long as you think.  Your best bet is to store them in a climate controlled place, out of sunlight and in their cases stored vertically.
Yeah, a guy I know posted a video of him destroying a Mega Man 8 Sega Saturn disc, made a ton of people angry.  After a few days he posted a picture showing that the disc had disc rot.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10599 on: April 21, 2016, 11:07:22 am »

Yeah, a guy I know posted a video of him destroying a Mega Man 8 Sega Saturn disc, made a ton of people angry.  After a few days he posted a picture showing that the disc had disc rot.
Everyone knows CD games pre-Playstation don't matter. It's hardly a loss. US release that is.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:09:22 am by mrfoxhound »

Badges

« Reply #10600 on: April 21, 2016, 11:41:28 am »

Everyone knows CD games pre-Playstation don't matter. It's hardly a loss. US release that is.
Sega Saturn isn't "pre-Playstation".  Would you call PS4 "pre-Xbox One"?  No.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:44:10 am by ctracy87 »

kashell

« Reply #10601 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:11 pm »
That's really discouraging to hear about the Sega Saturn discs. I don't have many games for it, but the ones I do are extra special. I'd hate for them to become rotted.

telly

« Reply #10602 on: April 21, 2016, 12:26:42 pm »

Ehh I don't know about that, the Sega CD and Saturn had at least a fair amount of decent of games that just haven't been released on other consoles, or digitally. I think writing off both consoles as a waste of space isn't true.

And if it's a problem for the US games I would say the entire library of those two consoles aren't immune either.
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

abe

« Reply #10603 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
Sooo... this weather eh?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #10604 on: April 21, 2016, 01:17:55 pm »
Seriously, what is with 2016?

Prince?! Of all the people, it had to be Prince?!