Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1599966 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1950 on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:18 am »
The only thing I love about this, is the fact that a trade-in REQUIRES original packaging. If stores like GS or Best Buy did this, people would stop throwing away game cases.

Apparently BB has just started requiring them.  I've been trading in my games disk-only to BB because most of them I plan on picking back up when they get cheap, and if I end up buying used odds are I'll either find a disk-only copy or a copy with a damaged insert/manual - so since they didn't care, I just kept them.  Went to trade something the other day, and the guy that's been handling my trades told me that their GM just came in and told them they now have to have them.

... but most games these days don't have printed manuals anymore.

...ok?   ???  If it wasn't there to begin with, then I don't care that it's "missing".   :P

I meant: How are they going to require a case and manual when there are no manuals in games anymore? That's a HUGE loophole and enough of a reason to turn folks away.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.  :)  Yeah, and with Wal-Mart employees who know nothing about games, good luck trying to explain to them that the game never had a manual.

Well, the official statement I read just said that it requires "original packaging", so manuals a probably not what they're checking for. Not a problem anymore because they don't make them, but in the past it would have caused me headache to ask about seeing a game and then have to turn it away because of no manual. I've got a new outlook from 8th gen forward - no manual, no problem.

argyle

« Reply #1951 on: March 24, 2014, 12:25:24 am »
Well, the official statement I read just said that it requires "original packaging", so manuals a probably not what they're checking for. Not a problem anymore because they don't make them, but in the past it would have caused me headache to ask about seeing a game and then have to turn it away because of no manual. I've got a new outlook from 8th gen forward - no manual, no problem.

Around my area (where there's no such thing as a locally owned game store) nothing beats a GS staffed by good people.  The one I frequent, the guys know me & know I'm particular about my games.  I found a complete Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii the other day and was very excited because I had been looking for it and no one in town had had it until now.  But when the guy pulled the disk, he goes "uh-oh" and holds the printed side towards me to show me something.  At first I didn't see anything, and I told him so, then he tilted the disk slightly - in the black part of the label someone had written a number with a black marker.  :(  I was sad that the game was a no-go, but that was a lot better than having someone just slap it in an envelope and leaving me to find out about it at home & have to return it. 

What I'm saying is, while I do trade in some at BB because they often have higher values and my credit goes farther there with my GCU 20% off, I prefer to do business at GS because the people know me and are knowledgeable about games.  I have even shopping at Wal-Mart, so I can't imagine I'll ever try to trade anything in there unless they have some kind of insane deal for doing so. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #1952 on: March 24, 2014, 01:34:35 am »

Around my area (where there's no such thing as a locally owned game store) nothing beats a GS staffed by good people.  The one I frequent, the guys know me & know I'm particular about my games.  I found a complete Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii the other day and was very excited because I had been looking for it and no one in town had had it until now.  But when the guy pulled the disk, he goes "uh-oh" and holds the printed side towards me to show me something.  At first I didn't see anything, and I told him so, then he tilted the disk slightly - in the black part of the label someone had written a number with a black marker.  :(  I was sad that the game was a no-go, but that was a lot better than having someone just slap it in an envelope and leaving me to find out about it at home & have to return it. 

What I'm saying is, while I do trade in some at BB because they often have higher values and my credit goes farther there with my GCU 20% off, I prefer to do business at GS because the people know me and are knowledgeable about games.  I have even shopping at Wal-Mart, so I can't imagine I'll ever try to trade anything in there unless they have some kind of insane deal for doing so.

On the odd occasion, I'll buy a game from Walmart. You never know what will be picked over and what will be left to rot at a Walmart. Walmart is actually where I found a $20 copy of Fire Emblem for Wii a couple years ago, also where I found Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn for the same price. But then I notice they'll hold on to a copy of Mushroom Men at $50 going on 4 years the same store. Which is anothing thing about Walmart's games department, it's very YMMV. They do whatever they want, they don't all have the same pricing or stock.

Funny thing, last month I was picking up something there, and noticed they were giving out copies of their own video gaming mag called Walmart GameCenter, which actually featured previews, interviews, and game reviews of it's own. Also noticed they now have game reservation tickets behind the glass as well. I guess it's all a part of their new plan to break more into the games market.

Poor ole' Kmart tried to do something like this a couple years back, but when corporate found the business as a whole was still hemorrhaging money in Q4 of 2011, they shut down the guy in charge of the "Kmart Gamer" program. He was a nice guy, he posted and kept in touch with the CAG forums a lot when drawing up his deal plans. They were doing weekly sales on different games, lots of new release incentives and stuff. It was short lived, but nice while it lasted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:42:54 am by Warmsignal »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1953 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:28 pm »
Thinking about pre-ordering a CE for the Hahuoki PS3 game that's coming out in a couple of weeks...

...anyone else getting it and/or know anything about or played any of the previous games?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

anruiukimi

« Reply #1954 on: March 24, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »
Thinking about pre-ordering a CE for the Hahuoki PS3 game that's coming out in a couple of weeks...

...anyone else getting it and/or know anything about or played any of the previous games?

I saw merchandise at Animate every time I went the last year before I moved back from Japan? :P (Yeah, I'm not helpful.) It's a visual novel game, and despite the shoujo graphics, it's actually pretty serious. Of course, it's the Shinsengumi, so it was bound to be somewhat serious. xD

argyle

« Reply #1955 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:04 pm »

I'm getting it for my wife - showed her the trailer and when she saw the pretty-boy Japanese guys she told me she wanted it.  :P

There's also a visual novel game coming that's based on BlazBlue that I'm very curious about.  AFAIK there's no CE for that one. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #1956 on: March 24, 2014, 08:41:29 pm »
I scanned through a few videos but couldnt see much of any gameplay.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1957 on: March 25, 2014, 01:10:46 am »
Haven't really been interested in visual novel games lately...

Please check out the games I have for sale.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1958 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:24 am »
So-

I've got a nice & random question/topic

for

a nice & random "general discussion" thread:

What's the longest (# of hours) that you've ever played a game for (w/o getting or seeing a "Game Over") *without* saving your progress ==> then died?

And/or any stories & comments about how many hours of game-play that (either you or someone else) may have 'accidentally' deleted and/or lost to a power outage, corrupted HDD, battery dying, etc...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #1959 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:24 pm »
So-

I've got a nice & random question/topic

for

a nice & random "general discussion" thread:

What's the longest (# of hours) that you've ever played a game for (w/o getting or seeing a "Game Over") *without* saving your progress ==> then died?

And/or any stories & comments about how many hours of game-play that (either you or someone else) may have 'accidentally' deleted and/or lost to a power outage, corrupted HDD, battery dying, etc...

Probably the worst case of this that comes to mind is the first time I was playing through RE: Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. Not sure what happened, but I was probably about 2-hours from beating the game, saved, went to play some more later that night and there was no continue option. Looked at my memory card and everything was there, except Code Veronica. I still have no idea why my memory card dumped my Code Veronica save, but it was super irritating and discouraging. I don't think I picked that game back up for a few years after that.

90snostalga

« Reply #1960 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:33 pm »
@ Soera, when the heck did you add Buster Douglas to your collection??? :o

soera

« Reply #1961 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:01 pm »
Heh I should have waited to actually put it in my database cause I wanted to wait til the end of the month and take a big pic of the cool stuff I got this month (waiting on one last piece). I just got it today thanks to an awesome trade with a fellow VGcollect member. :)

90snostalga

« Reply #1962 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:24 pm »
Heh I should have waited to actually put it in my database cause I wanted to wait til the end of the month and take a big pic of the cool stuff I got this month (waiting on one last piece). I just got it today thanks to an awesome trade with a fellow VGcollect member. :)

Ah okay.  Congrats! :D  But yea, next time wait and keep us anxious and take that big picture before adding.  How many more you need to complete your SMS collection?   Oh and I was doing research and got mixed answers.  Is Alf a US release, UK only or both?

anruiukimi

« Reply #1963 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:37 am »

Waiting on one last piece, eh? :P Here's hoping it's as cool as the limited photo showed! XD

soera

« Reply #1964 on: March 27, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

Ah okay.  Congrats! :D  But yea, next time wait and keep us anxious and take that big picture before adding.  How many more you need to complete your SMS collection?   Oh and I was doing research and got mixed answers.  Is Alf a US release, UK only or both?

If I was just going to go for the full CIB set per Sega Age, I would only be missing 4 games : Cloud master, Ghost House, Spy vs Spy, and Wonder boy in Monster land. But I want the whole North American set which adds another 10 games. And it looks like all the info you got on Alf is wrong. Alf was a US release that also saw release in Brazil.

Waiting on one last piece, eh? :P Here's hoping it's as cool as the limited photo showed! XD

You know its going to be as cool as it looks!!!! :D