Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1601692 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #2175 on: April 27, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »
I rarely ever preorder stuff, especially growing up. I always found most games easy enough to find on launch day without having to tie one down with a preorder. The extra incentives have never really been enough to make me go out of my way with preordering either.

I will say however that I have regretted not preordering a few choice collector's editions over the past few years. I did have one preorder for the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition come back in bite me in the ass though. I local game store got three in to fulfill the three preorders they had (mine included). The called me the day they got them in, and said, "well they are going for about $400 on Ebay right now, and even though they MSRP at $100, we're going to switch the price you owe us to $350." I was livid. . .

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2176 on: April 27, 2014, 04:42:12 pm »
I rarely ever preorder stuff, especially growing up. I always found most games easy enough to find on launch day without having to tie one down with a preorder. The extra incentives have never really been enough to make me go out of my way with preordering either.

I will say however that I have regretted not preordering a few choice collector's editions over the past few years. I did have one preorder for the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition come back in bite me in the ass though. I local game store got three in to fulfill the three preorders they had (mine included). The called me the day they got them in, and said, "well they are going for about $400 on Ebay right now, and even though they MSRP at $100, we're going to switch the price you owe us to $350." I was livid. . .

No doubt...I would have been livid too  >:(

I'm guessing that it probably wasn't a chain store (like GS)?

Regardless, though - as long as you had some kind of paperwork/receipt, etc proving that you put X amount of money down to reserve game X @ X price and owed a remaining balance of X - (if it was me they tried pulling that shit with)...ASAP, I would have threatened them with the BBB and, if that didn't work - I'd have come right in with several local cops that I'm good friends with and *made* them honor their deal...enforced by the cops, if necessary -and- if *that* didn't work...I'm also related to several FBI & IRS agents/workers -and- if even they couldn't convince the place to keep & honor their commitment/written contract; well then...I'd have just asked a few of my friends from the old neighborhood to do me a..."Favor" and to pay these pieces of shit a..."visit" -

- and if *that* didn't work...scratch that ==> that's *ALWAYS* worked  ;)   :-\   :-X
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2177 on: April 27, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »
I've been paranoid recently after noticing my FFVI on GBA was a bootleg so I went through and opened all my higher dollar snes games today to check out the boards... They all looked good. I was sweating opening my Earthbound lol

argyle

« Reply #2178 on: April 27, 2014, 08:41:16 pm »
When I preorder at b&m stores I almost always use store credit.  For mainstream easy-to-find games I typically beat them quickly & then trade them back in.  Since I normally get good deals buying them in the first place, this means I often either break even or occasionally even make money/credit by doing this (I made about $100 profit by beating & trading in Halo 4 :P). 

For online purchases I usually use a cc I have set aside for my gaming purchases, which I pay off at the end of every month, w/ profits from ebay sales. 

I almost always preorder when I know I'm getting something at release because not only is it convenient but 90% of the time there's some incentive for doing so.  And you say you don't care about that costume pack DLC crap?  Well, I can almost guarantee you someone on ebay does to the tune of at least $10-$15.  ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #2179 on: April 28, 2014, 08:59:00 am »
If Im expecting something, I will pre-order it. I usually go to Best buy and put my money down and then mark it on my calendar so that I am ready for it when it hits the shelves. I dont mind paying in full for it but the last time I did that, it didnt count in their system as a pre-order so it never got shipped.

I did have one pre-order for the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition come back in bite me in the ass though. I local game store got three in to fulfill the three pre-orders they had (mine included). The called me the day they got them in, and said, "well they are going for about $400 on Ebay right now, and even though they MSRP at $100, we're going to switch the price you owe us to $350." I was livid. . .

Wow, thats fucking ballsy. I would have went up there and found out whoever decided to raise the price of something IN A FUCKING STORE cause some idiot was selling it for more online and punched that prick in the face. Pre-ordering something doesnt mean you have to deal with the fact that other people do it and try to gouge the price online. Its the exact opposite. It means you planned ahead and you should be rewarded with the item for the actual retail price.

90snostalga

« Reply #2180 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:34 am »
If Im expecting something, I will pre-order it. I usually go to Best buy and put my money down and then mark it on my calendar so that I am ready for it when it hits the shelves. I dont mind paying in full for it but the last time I did that, it didnt count in their system as a pre-order so it never got shipped.

I did have one pre-order for the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition come back in bite me in the ass though. I local game store got three in to fulfill the three pre-orders they had (mine included). The called me the day they got them in, and said, "well they are going for about $400 on Ebay right now, and even though they MSRP at $100, we're going to switch the price you owe us to $350." I was livid. . .

Wow, thats fucking ballsy. I would have went up there and found out whoever decided to raise the price of something IN A FUCKING STORE cause some idiot was selling it for more online and punched that prick in the face. Pre-ordering something doesnt mean you have to deal with the fact that other people do it and try to gouge the price online. Its the exact opposite. It means you planned ahead and you should be rewarded with the item for the actual retail price.

Dang soera lol. Is that what u do when u deliver a pizza and the customer claims u brought the wrong pizza when u didn't? He curses at u and u punch the prick in the face lol

soera

« Reply #2181 on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:18 am »

Dang soera lol. Is that what u do when u deliver a pizza and the customer claims u brought the wrong pizza when u didn't? He curses at u and u punch the prick in the face lol

Hell yeah! WHAT? You didnt order this and want a free pizza? POW!

argyle

« Reply #2182 on: April 28, 2014, 12:00:28 pm »
I think the world would be a better place if more jerks got punched in the face.  ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2183 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:30 pm »
I think the world would be a better place if more jerks got punched in the face.  ;)

it would indeed  8)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2184 on: April 28, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
I got a surprise this morning. I took my son to preschool like I do everyday, but today they wouldn't let him stay. The front door of the school had a watermark on it about knee high. The school had flooded and The Boy couldn't stay. I had some stuff that had to be done this morning. So, I had a little more help this morning than I really wanted. It's hard to check other people's paperwork with a 4 year old telling you "I'm ready to go. I'm hungry, I'm bored."  I'm glad to be home.

90snostalga

« Reply #2185 on: April 28, 2014, 08:01:57 pm »
I got a surprise this morning. I took my son to preschool like I do everyday, but today they wouldn't let him stay. The front door of the school had a watermark on it about knee high. The school had flooded and The Boy couldn't stay. I had some stuff that had to be done this morning. So, I had a little more help this morning than I really wanted. It's hard to check other people's paperwork with a 4 year old telling you "I'm ready to go. I'm hungry, I'm bored."  I'm glad to be home.

When my kids nag me about Im hungry and this and that, I pull my belt that I carry with me and tear em up!   ;)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2186 on: April 29, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
Anyone else here crack up whenever they see Amazon's lowest price for a used game is double what their lowest price of the same game new & sealed is?

Wtf kind of economics are at work/play here  :o

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2187 on: April 29, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »
Anyone else here crack up whenever they see Amazon's lowest price for a used game is double what their lowest price of the same game new & sealed is?

I don't see that ever. I usually see a game "new" for like $110, and then a used copy for $5. But then, I'm not buying brand-spanking new releases, I'm usually buying retro.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2188 on: April 29, 2014, 02:10:43 pm »

I don't see that ever. I usually see a game "new" for like $110, and then a used copy for $5. But then, I'm not buying brand-spanking new releases, I'm usually buying retro.

It's far from a constant thing...I just find myself noticing it a few times a year, or so.

argyle

« Reply #2189 on: April 29, 2014, 02:21:59 pm »
Well those used prices are typically 3rd party sellers, and they can charge whatever they want.  The real thing that bugs me is when you see a really good price on one of those, then you pull it up and they're asking more for s/h than they are for the game.   ???