Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1600628 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9915 on: March 14, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
Or they may just bring Halo and whatever else they have to Windows.

See...the current consensus is that the Xbox One is performing better than the 360 at the same point in time and one assumes this means it will sell over 80 million systems in it's lifetime. 

But...that just doesn't jive with the behavior Microsoft has shown.  They were all about the bragging all last generation and early this generation when the 'bone sold great on the first holiday and when a month cropped up where it sold better than the PS4.  Not to mention their chest thumping about selling better over the holidays. 

But over the last year, Microsoft has made several moves to make anyone following them think this isn't the case at all.  First, they began reporting Xbox 360 and One sales together to obfuscate the true sales figures.  Then, they stopped reporting on sales in any form, opting to report on "Xbox Live Engagement" or some such nonsense.  Then, they start announcing previously Xbox One Exclusive titles are coming to the PC.  Follow this up with the closure of several studios and the cancellation of various project including the latest Fable game.  Continue on with Phil Spencer's dodgy replies about the future of Xbox where instead of flat-out saying they are committed to Xbox One, he states he is committed to the Xbox brand.  And now we have solid info that they are going to be making the Xbox Live enabled games PC and (competing) console friendly. 

To me, all of these signs point to Microsoft exiting the dedicated console business.
As much as I want to agree, a few things...  360 came out first, it had a head start, that did it some good.  The many failures and such put it behind some, but I think the exclusive content for popular games, use of achievements before anyone else, and superior matchmaking service (I have no backing to that, I just wanna say that was true) is what put it solidly ahead.  These things kind of forced Sony to do similar things, and it made gaming better... kind of.  Sony's PS+ was a fantastic thing and it, I assure you, is the sole reason Xbox has Games with Gold.

Now to semi-relevant stuff.  I think a lot of folks can agree Sega went to shit after they left the console market.  Someone from Nintendo made the statement that without their own hardware, they wouldn't necessarily have the freedom to make the games that they want to make.  Not the best analogy, but Kinect works differently than the Playstation Eye, it's a depth camera, it has its uses.  Waggle Wand, Sixaxis, and PS Move all do things special as well.

Finally real relevant stuff.  If Microsoft left the console market, that would leave Sony and pretty much Sony alone to capture the main market.  I know most of you Sony fanboys would be glad for that to happen, but without direct competition most companies will get lazy.  Take a look at your local cable companies if you have they have no direct competitor, I'm looking at you TWC and Comcast.  Not to say Sony will, but they totally could and you'd still buy all the lazy crap because you can't go anywhere else.  Yes, PC is an option, but most folks don't want to drop the money on hardware and have to constantly update it.  Sure, Nintendo could release the NX and magically compete, but most folks are waiting for Nintendo to bow out of the console market as well, probably the same folks waiting for MS to bow too.  Realistically speaking, the only way MS would bow out of the console market is if a 3rd/4th company came in and took a giant chunk of the market share.  I would even venture to speculate that part of Sega's decision to back out of the console market was the impending release of the Xbox, rather than competing with another console who would likely also surpass it, they would back out and turn 3rd party.

Most of this was ADD ranting, I bet things don't even connect that well.  Basically... I don't think MS will back out unless someone else competes with Sony on their level.

kashell

« Reply #9916 on: March 14, 2016, 04:19:20 pm »
Who here is a Sony fanboy?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9917 on: March 14, 2016, 04:44:11 pm »
Who here is a Sony fanboy?

There's a lot of strong opinions and preferences here - my own included - but, imo, no one that crosses the line into fanboy-ism.

Soera gets the nod for closest runner-up, though  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9918 on: March 14, 2016, 04:45:19 pm »
I agree. Microsoft shutting down is bad for Sony, too. Competition breeds quality. Without that competition to drive them, they'll sit on their laurels and just give us whatever we take. Need evidence? Look at what WWE buying WCW did to the wrestling business. It's a shadow of it's former self because no one is giving WWE competition to give them a kick in the butt.

Maybe, in a perfect world, this will open up the market to that new Sega system that Project Dream is trying to get off the ground.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9919 on: March 14, 2016, 05:22:56 pm »
While I'm not the biggest Microsoft fan. I would hate to see them leave the market. Like said above. You need competition among company's. Or things could be bad for the consumers.

E3 will be very telling.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #9920 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:04 pm »
To others here that are learning Japanese:

What do you use for learning Kanji? I'd like to work on improving my Japanese reading skills, and I'd like to learn kanji while learning more grammar and stuff without relying too heavily on kana.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #9921 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:27 pm »

What do you use for learning Kanji? I'd like to work on improving my Japanese reading skills, and I'd like to learn kanji while learning more grammar and stuff without relying too heavily on kana.

I'm still using Wanikani, and they seem to have a fairly robust kanji vocab. I haven't used their other counterpart, Textfugu, yet, though they're going to be expanding that to include more language shadowing and audio lessons. What skill level are you about now? 
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9922 on: March 14, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
Redblaze - did you hear about our local raising of minimum wage to $15/hour?

obviously people have forgotten that Minimum wage is suppose to be for MINIMUM EXPERIENCE not minimum to live on.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9923 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:05 pm »

obviously people have forgotten that Minimum wage is suppose to be for MINIMUM EXPERIENCE not minimum to live on.

QFMFT!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9924 on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:57 pm »

last time they raised min wage in my area, my already struggling owner, really couldnt afford some of us, and well, i was one of the handfuls who got the ax
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9925 on: March 14, 2016, 07:55:57 pm »
Is anyone here Retro enough to use Netscape or fire up the old Dreamcast web browser?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9926 on: March 14, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
Is anyone here Retro enough to use Netscape or fire up the old Dreamcast web browser?
Somebody's been watching Classic Game Room

abe

« Reply #9927 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:45 pm »

I'm still using Wanikani, and they seem to have a fairly robust kanji vocab. I haven't used their other counterpart, Textfugu, yet, though they're going to be expanding that to include more language shadowing and audio lessons. What skill level are you about now?

Thanks very much for the recommendations. ;D

As for my skill level, I know very little vocabulary and grammar so far, but I've more or less completely memorized all of the kana. More or less just enough to be able to navigate menus in games and know what they actually say. :-[
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9928 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:57 pm »
Damn the internet is full of assholes.  I'm spoiled by this place. 
I was on an arcade board looking for some help finding some colored tops for joysticks (I want to add colored ones to my TMNT cab  ;) ), and some asshat wants to correct me and tell me that "TMNT is supposed to have ball tops not bat tops". 

Listen cock-holster, just because TMNT came with ball tops doesn't mean that I want those.  I want the bat tops.  That's why I asked for help finding bat tops.  You don't have to be an uppity douche just because I'm not making this thing 100% original.  It's not original right now.  In fact, I think the cabinet is from NBA JAM or NFL Blitz.   

Quit swinging your internet dick around and just answer my damn question. 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9929 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:19 pm »
Damn the internet is full of assholes.  I'm spoiled by this place. 
I was on an arcade board looking for some help finding some colored tops for joysticks (I want to add colored ones to my TMNT cab  ;) ), and some asshat wants to correct me and tell me that "TMNT is supposed to have ball tops not bat tops". 

Listen cock-holster, just because TMNT came with ball tops doesn't mean that I want those.  I want the bat tops.  That's why I asked for help finding bat tops.  You don't have to be an uppity douche just because I'm not making this thing 100% original.  It's not original right now.  In fact, I think the cabinet is from NBA JAM or NFL Blitz.   

Quit swinging your internet dick around and just answer my damn question.