Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1604770 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9930 on: March 14, 2016, 08:49:53 pm »
Damn the internet is full of assholes.  I'm spoiled by this place. 
I was on an arcade board looking for some help finding some colored tops for joysticks (I want to add colored ones to my TMNT cab  ;) ), and some asshat wants to correct me and tell me that "TMNT is supposed to have ball tops not bat tops". 

Listen cock-holster, just because TMNT came with ball tops doesn't mean that I want those.  I want the bat tops.  That's why I asked for help finding bat tops.  You don't have to be an uppity douche just because I'm not making this thing 100% original.  It's not original right now.  In fact, I think the cabinet is from NBA JAM or NFL Blitz.   

Quit swinging your internet dick around and just answer my damn question. 

Gotta LoL @ dem e-peens :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9931 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »
I was on an arcade board looking for some help finding some colored tops for joysticks (I want to add colored ones to my TMNT cab  ;) ), and some asshat wants to correct me and tell me that "TMNT is supposed to have ball tops not bat tops". 

Listen cock-holster, just because TMNT came with ball tops doesn't mean that I want those.  I want the bat tops.  That's why I asked for help finding bat tops.  You don't have to be an uppity douche just because I'm not making this thing 100% original.  It's not original right now.  In fact, I think the cabinet is from NBA JAM or NFL Blitz.   

dont let the purist rile you up to much turf. but yes, they are jerk offs
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #9932 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:32 am »
Who here is a Sony fanboy?

There's a lot of strong opinions and preferences here - my own included - but, imo, no one that crosses the line into fanboy-ism.

That's what I thought. I don't care one way or the other about M$, so whatever happens to them won't impact my game buying.

Did you say all of that to him/her? I hope so.

To others here that are learning Japanese:

What do you use for learning Kanji? I'd like to work on improving my Japanese reading skills, and I'd like to learn kanji while learning more grammar and stuff without relying too heavily on kana.

For learning kanji, I recommend either Japanese For Everyone by Susumu Nagara or Remembering the Kanji by James W. Heisig. I have both and they both work in different ways.

JFE is a standard text book, but it gets rid of the training wheels very quickly. The first couple of times you see a new kanji character, it will have the furigana underneath it. After that, you're on your own. It's a great but tough way to get a character memorized if you're willing to put in the time.

RTK uses the author's personal mnemonics to memorize each character, stroke order, meaning, etc. It's still a bit of work, but not nearly as harrowing as JFE. If you're a flashcard user, then this book is perfect for making great flashcards.

I'm not sure if you're using a text book now, but for the sake of kanji I have a difficult time recommending Genki. Genki is awesome for vocab, grammar, sentence structure, etc. but they always have furigana.

gf78

« Reply #9933 on: March 15, 2016, 08:48:39 am »
Who here is a Sony fanboy?

There's a lot of strong opinions and preferences here - my own included - but, imo, no one that crosses the line into fanboy-ism.

Soera gets the nod for closest runner-up, though  ;)

I'm definitely a Sony fan, but not to the detriment that I ignore good games on other systems.  I just really, really dislike Microsoft.   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9934 on: March 15, 2016, 09:25:17 am »

Did you say all of that to him/her? I hope so.

I didn't.  It was on a website I was looking for help on.  I have to try to be nice since I am the new guy.  If it had been here, I would have

abe

« Reply #9935 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:48 am »

What do you use for learning Kanji? I'd like to work on improving my Japanese reading skills, and I'd like to learn kanji while learning more grammar and stuff without relying too heavily on kana.

For learning kanji, I recommend either Japanese For Everyone by Susumu Nagara or Remembering the Kanji by James W. Heisig. I have both and they both work in different ways.

JFE is a standard text book, but it gets rid of the training wheels very quickly. The first couple of times you see a new kanji character, it will have the furigana underneath it. After that, you're on your own. It's a great but tough way to get a character memorized if you're willing to put in the time.

RTK uses the author's personal mnemonics to memorize each character, stroke order, meaning, etc. It's still a bit of work, but not nearly as harrowing as JFE. If you're a flashcard user, then this book is perfect for making great flashcards.

I'm not sure if you're using a text book now, but for the sake of kanji I have a difficult time recommending Genki. Genki is awesome for vocab, grammar, sentence structure, etc. but they always have furigana.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be checking some of these out soon. :)

I've also started using WaniKani from Deso's recommendation. Thanks for that too. :D It seems great so far. The Silly mnemonics actually help a lot with memorization.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9936 on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
Huh.

I just found out that Square made a Tom Sawyer RPG back in the day.

Anyone have/played it?

I've heard it described as a DQ clone...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9937 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:08 am »
The only phone game i play is clash of clans, recently downloaded their newest games, Clash Royal, totally sucks, feels like nothng but a money grab...... if you wanna be good.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

rayne315

« Reply #9938 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
how do you guys feel about gaming store producing their own reproductions and selling them for well above ebay?

Reason I ask is I have been to 3 Video games ETC stores and every single one has about 5 different clearly fake games. Secret of mana 2 (SNES) and Super Mario Brutal (SNES) are the 2 that clearly stick out in my head. and they are being sold cart only for $80 for the SoM2 and $70 for SMB. when I asked about who was producing these games I was told "some guy in his basement" by one manager and "corporate" by another. I was always under the impression that selling these was technically illegal (except the super Mario brutal as it was a completely new game)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #9939 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:19 am »

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be checking some of these out soon. :)

I've also started using WaniKani from Deso's recommendation. Thanks for that too. :D It seems great so far. The Silly mnemonics actually help a lot with memorization.

A friend of mine currently working for the JET program swears by Genki, but I think it really all comes down to what learning style works best for you. That's good to hear from Kashell that he tried it but didn't care for it.  I personally really enjoy WaniKani - it feels more like a game, and the fact that it tracks how many times you get something right/wrong (behind the scenes) and adjusts frequency is worth it to me.  Also, those mnemonics are totally silly but work quite a bit. Sometimes I put off my lessons/reviews for weeks at a time and am surprised by what I'm still able to recall.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #9940 on: March 15, 2016, 11:18:39 am »
how do you guys feel about gaming store producing their own reproductions and selling them for well above ebay?

Reason I ask is I have been to 3 Video games ETC stores and every single one has about 5 different clearly fake games. Secret of mana 2 (SNES) and Super Mario Brutal (SNES) are the 2 that clearly stick out in my head. and they are being sold cart only for $80 for the SoM2 and $70 for SMB. when I asked about who was producing these games I was told "some guy in his basement" by one manager and "corporate" by another. I was always under the impression that selling these was technically illegal (except the super Mario brutal as it was a completely new game)

I wouldn't feel good about that at all unless they clearly marked them as bootlegs or homebrews. It's one thing if I see these at some flea market, but if it's a b&m store focused on gaming, I think it's false advertising if they don't make it clear that it's not an official game.

People walk into a game store with all different levels of gaming knowledge. I wouldn't want to assume that they'd be able to identify something like that for what it was.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #9941 on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:08 am »

I think it's bullshit and illegal.  I know a lot of gamers and Squaresoft fans in the US never got to play Secret of Mana 2.  Hell, most of them didn't because it was never released in the US.  But times have changed.  Why buy a repro cart for outrageous money when you can buy a complete copy of the Super Famicom original for a fraction of that price?  All you need is a Retron, a little know-how and you can download a translation patch and play the original cart. 

If you are looking for several games never released in the US, you could pay $80 a pop for the repro carts or you could pay under $30 and spend $130 or so and get the Retron 5.  I know which way I go. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #9942 on: March 15, 2016, 11:25:50 am »
A friend of mine currently working for the JET program swears by Genki, but I think it really all comes down to what learning style works best for you. That's good to hear from Kashell that he tried it but didn't care for it.  I personally really enjoy WaniKani - it feels more like a game, and the fact that it tracks how many times you get something right/wrong (behind the scenes) and adjusts frequency is worth it to me.  Also, those mnemonics are totally silly but work quite a bit. Sometimes I put off my lessons/reviews for weeks at a time and am surprised by what I'm still able to recall.

Don't me wrong, Genki is wonderful for everything but memorizing kanji. And even that's a stretch because once the main lessons end, there are kanji sections. It's just that all of their kanji prior to those sections has furigana which acts as a crutch.

I'm currently using Genki; I'm in it's 22nd lesson right now and have learned so much from it. If folks do get it, make sure to get the workbook, too. Once I'm done with Genki, I'm considering going back to JFE since it's tougher.

kashell

« Reply #9943 on: March 15, 2016, 11:27:50 am »

Good lord, 80 dollars? Are they nuts? Is it even legal for them to do that?

Secret of Mana 2 is a magnificent game, but there are so many ways to play it with the translation patch nowadays.

rayne315

« Reply #9944 on: March 15, 2016, 11:32:39 am »

I wouldn't feel good about that at all unless they clearly marked them as bootlegs or homebrews. It's one thing if I see these at some flea market, but if it's a b&m store focused on gaming, I think it's false advertising if they don't make it clear that it's not an official game.

People walk into a game store with all different levels of gaming knowledge. I wouldn't want to assume that they'd be able to identify something like that for what it was.

their is not any wording on the cartridges to indicate that they are not official releases/are bootlegs/are not original of the north American market. But their IS something that can tip you off that they are such. the logo that goes above the "super Nintendo" on the cartridge is on a completely different grey scale than normal, no NTSC numbers, and no seal of aproval. BUT the SMB had a Nintendo seal and NTSC numbers (I do not recall the exact numbers), but had the same different greyscale logo. And knowing the shops themselves they will NOT tell people they are fake unless they specifically ask, which what person who does not know would ask?

This is a link to a SoM2 cart I found on ebay that is exactly what they are selling
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-of-Mana-2-Seiken-Densetsu-3-for-Super-Nintendo-SNES-US-English-/301808994894?hash=item464537ca4e:g:8qEAAOSw8-tWVxCb
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully