Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1658162 times)

desocietas

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9210 on: January 22, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »

How many inches didya' get today Kash?

Giggity  ::)

Haha, just had to. Hopefully you're all staying warm! We're still getting showered on in California (we need it!).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #9211 on: January 22, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »

Haha, just had to. Hopefully you're all staying warm! We're still getting showered on in California (we need it!).

LMAO, Deso was the first with the comment!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9212 on: January 22, 2016, 05:16:42 pm »

Hahaha!

I knew that I'd be setting somebody up with that line, but...I was expecting it to be Turf, Soera, or even Kashy himself .

Never in a million years would I have expected it to come from my lily white little sister O_o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Warmsignal

« Reply #9213 on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:52 pm »
Did you remove the clock capacitor?  If not, it may have leaked on the motherboard, causing corroded traces. It's pretty much guaranteed to happen to all but one revision of the board. Can't remember which one off the top of my head.  The failures are usually drive or power related, but it can cause lots of weird symptoms.

I have version 1.6 after taking a closer look inside (it has the Xcaliber chip), and from what I've just read the clock cap is not an issue to look for on this board. I see only one cap that looks kind of suspect on the power supply, not only a bit malformed but also blackened on the top. I wonder if that could be it?

I read about a transistor issue that happens as well with this version, which I really hope is not the case. It's so tiny, I don't think I would have the patience for it.  :-\

Anyone else think the cap on the bottom looks bad? Kind of flattened out.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:51:01 pm by Warmsignal »

kashell

« Reply #9214 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »

Hahaha!

I knew that I'd be setting somebody up with that line, but...I was expecting it to be Turf, Soera, or even Kashy himself .

Never in a million years would I have expected it to come from my lily white little sister O_o

I wish I saw this sooner, but Lady D delivered swimmingly.

We've gotten only three to four inches of snow, but it's still coming down. I haven't seen any cars on the road today.

tpugmire

« Reply #9215 on: January 22, 2016, 06:48:55 pm »
Hard to tell, but the cap looks fine to me. Most times if a cap fails, it either leaks or the top is rounded like a dome. Caps are cheap though. At this point, you don't have much to lose by swapping it out, assuming you can solder, that is. 
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

Warmsignal

« Reply #9216 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:06 pm »
Hard to tell, but the cap looks fine to me. Most times if a cap fails, it either leaks or the top is rounded like a dome. Caps are cheap though. At this point, you don't have much to lose by swapping it out, assuming you can solder, that is.

Saw a pick of another unit like mine and I doubt that it's the problem, most likely the transistor on the motherboard I was talking about.

So basically, my next question is - is it possible to transfer game saves from a dead Xbox to another one?

maximo310

« Reply #9217 on: January 22, 2016, 07:29:50 pm »

Saw a pick of another unit like mine and I doubt that it's the problem, most likely the transistor on the motherboard I was talking about.

So basically, my next question is - is it possible to transfer game saves from a dead Xbox to another one?
I'm pretty sure that game saves are stored on the hard drive, so you can transfer it to another Xbox if the hard drive still works.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9218 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure that game saves are stored on the hard drive, so you can transfer it to another Xbox if the hard drive still works.

So they're all just swappable? Surprising considering I've heard the disc drives aren't.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9219 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:36 pm »
Damn, didn get the job at the drug rehab place. They only hire those in recovery..... Also, my buddy getting married next week at the court house. I am one of few invited, so I am excited for that!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

pacpix

« Reply #9220 on: January 23, 2016, 02:29:11 am »
My oldest daughter has become obsessed with Star Wars.  Really, really obsessed.  Mind you, I think it's cool because it's something we have in common and it's better than her (thankfully waning) One Direction obsession.   ::)

In any event, we have watched episodes 1-6 twice now, seen Force Awakens in the theater and I should have the Clone Wars Blu-Ray Collection in the mail this afternoon when I get home.  So I see us binge-watching that entire series over the next week.  By the time we are finishing up, Rebels season 1 and Clone Wars Lost Missions Blu-Rays should be arriving in the mail from Amazon so we will segue right into those.  Then, we can follow it up with the Robot Chicken Star Wars collection and the Family Guy Star Wars stuff.

Don't forget to watch the holiday special!  :P

And also welcome back Disgaeniac, good to see you on the forums again  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:31:28 am by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #9221 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:35 am »
My oldest daughter has become obsessed with Star Wars.  Really, really obsessed.  Mind you, I think it's cool because it's something we have in common and it's better than her (thankfully waning) One Direction obsession.   ::)

In any event, we have watched episodes 1-6 twice now, seen Force Awakens in the theater and I should have the Clone Wars Blu-Ray Collection in the mail this afternoon when I get home.  So I see us binge-watching that entire series over the next week.  By the time we are finishing up, Rebels season 1 and Clone Wars Lost Missions Blu-Rays should be arriving in the mail from Amazon so we will segue right into those.  Then, we can follow it up with the Robot Chicken Star Wars collection and the Family Guy Star Wars stuff.

I know you probably don't need more things to buy, but there are a couple books that have cutaway away/cross-section drawings of the vehicles in the Star Wars universe. They're called Incredible Cross-Sections and they're published by DK.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9222 on: January 23, 2016, 08:36:49 pm »
When you actually loose money selling something on eBay, that's when you know you have some real junk on your hands. lol  :-\

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9223 on: January 23, 2016, 09:16:20 pm »

So they're all just swappable? Surprising considering I've heard the disc drives aren't.

The files themselves are encrypted in the same manner on each box. The folders they are stored in are hashes that are generated the same on every box.

If your Xbox is softmoded you can copy the exact folders and their contents to another (softmoded) Xbox and you are good.

If you try copying the saves using the built in Xbox dash tools some saves (Dead or Alive Ultimate for example) will not copy. Or will copy but then not work if the destination Xbox is different.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9224 on: January 24, 2016, 08:31:09 am »
Gaah!

Snowblind!  >:(

Thanks Pacpix.  ;D

Fighterpilot - I'm really surprised to hear that they'll ONLY hire those in recovery.

Having worked in such places, I can tell you that:

a.  They've always employed a mix of recovering and non-recovering employees, and that

b.  It would be illegal and discriminatory - at least here in N.J. - to hire employees based strictly on if they're recovering or not.  By law, in that field, many positions require specific degrees and education and have nothing to do with one's recovery status.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"