Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1551635 times)

pacpix

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10680 on: April 22, 2016, 07:56:33 pm »
Does anyone else have a stop point where they can no longer enjoy games any older?

I'm that way. Most systems before the NES, I just can't get into. And I've tried. I've owned an Atari 2600 with about 50 games. And I just don't enjoy the single-screen games, or simplicity of the games of that era. I want to feel like I'm making progress, or exploring, or at least furthering a story in a game.

I do like some games on the Commodore 64, though. If only it didn't have the crazy load-times.

Anyone else feel this way?

For me, I just enjoy the pre-NES generation of consoles differently.  I normally can't sit down and play a single Atari 2600 or Odyssey2 game for hours (except for a few like Wizard of Wor or K.C. Munchkin), but if I am cycling through various cartridges I can spend all day playing these systems.  I also love to study the history behind the games/consoles which is one of the main reasons I collect video games.  Being that I was born a year after the N64 released, I don't really have as strong of an attachment to the NES era as many others do.  Each retro console I play offers a different experience, and it just depends on what type of game I feel like playing at the time.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10681 on: April 22, 2016, 07:57:30 pm »
Does anyone else have a stop point where they can no longer enjoy games any older?

I'm that way. Most systems before the NES, I just can't get into. And I've tried. I've owned an Atari 2600 with about 50 games. And I just don't enjoy the single-screen games, or simplicity of the games of that era. I want to feel like I'm making progress, or exploring, or at least furthering a story in a game.

I do like some games on the Commodore 64, though. If only it didn't have the crazy load-times.

Anyone else feel this way?
Yeah, I can't really get into anything pre-NES and I've tried. I've played a handful of Atari games and it just isn't for me. NES/SNES is where I started gaming. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not going to sit there and be pretentious like most people playing an Atari who didn't grow up with it and don't really care for it too much.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:00:46 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10682 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:40 am »

I am mostly like this. There are very few games I can enjoy that arent new school.

Pretty much this.

I very rarely play anything pre-PS2 anymore.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #10683 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:50 am »

With certain genres, yes. Not so much everything though. Stuff like Pac-Man and Tetris are timeless and I have fun with them no matter what they're on. Aside from the stuff I played when I was a little kid, RPGs from anything earlier than the 16-bit era can be pretty rough around the edges. For me personally, nostalgia is what saves a lot of older RPGs from being boring. Other genres, like puzzle games are kinda immune to that effect I find. Unless it was bad back when it was new, most puzzle games have aged pretty well, like Quarth. Love me some Quarth.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10684 on: April 23, 2016, 10:26:05 am »
So it sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat with the pre-NES consoles.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:19:24 am by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10685 on: April 23, 2016, 04:38:07 pm »
Finally starting Lost Dimension!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10686 on: April 23, 2016, 07:14:18 pm »
Microsoft is such a garbage company. There is always an issue with their consoles. My Xbox One won't display video no matter what I try and I don't have a warranty. Very rarely do I even play the console but when I want to, it breaks and now I'm forced to spend about $130 in repairs. I'm done with them. They have no games anyways, I really just got the damn console for Rare Replay.

Badges

kashell

« Reply #10687 on: April 23, 2016, 07:39:50 pm »
Finally starting Lost Dimension!

<3

Let me know what you think; it's a lovely little gem.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10688 on: April 23, 2016, 08:55:01 pm »
Microsoft is such a garbage company. There is always an issue with their consoles. My Xbox One won't display video no matter what I try and I don't have a warranty. Very rarely do I even play the console but when I want to, it breaks and now I'm forced to spend about $130 in repairs. I'm done with them. They have no games anyways, I really just got the damn console for Rare Replay.

Just bought a xbone , hope it dont crap out on me.....
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10689 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »

Good luck with yours. It'll probably conveniently crap out after the warranty as they usually do.

Badges

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10690 on: April 23, 2016, 09:08:14 pm »

Good luck with yours. It'll probably conveniently crap out after the warranty as they usually do.
thanks, if it does, well it would further justify why i bought it last between the ps4, wii u and it lol, just like with ps3, wii and 360 lol. always buy M$ last

1049-2600-8730

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10691 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »

thanks, if it does, well it would further justify why i bought it last between the ps4, wii u and it lol, just like with ps3, wii and 360 lol. always buy M$ last
Yeah, I bought mine last and only because Rare Replay was announced.

Badges

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10692 on: April 23, 2016, 10:42:33 pm »

Yeah, I bought mine last and only because Rare Replay was announced.
I got sunset and got rare replay as my free DL. Need to go play Bad Fur day, but been busy with new leaf and Sunset overdrive.

1049-2600-8730

soera

« Reply #10693 on: April 23, 2016, 11:41:21 pm »
Microsoft is such a garbage company.

Anything after this is just extra.

gf78

« Reply #10694 on: April 24, 2016, 09:30:08 am »
Microsoft is such a garbage company.

Anything after this is just extra.

Tell us how you really feel soera.  :P. I had problems with multiple Xbox and 360 systems, all bought brand new by me personally. Aside from someone gifting a 'bone to me, there is no way in hell I'd buy one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:32:52 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us