Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670843 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12150 on: October 12, 2016, 11:11:18 am »

So glad I grabbed those metal boots.

Have you been messing around with various earrings and accessories, too?
I think I've only found the obsidian choker so far.

kashell

« Reply #12151 on: October 12, 2016, 03:33:57 pm »
Has anyone here ever worked in a restaurant, bar, coffee shop or other food related place? I'm just wondering something.

There's a quaint café down the street from where I work; it takes about 10 minutes to walk to there. They have really weird hours: 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM. I got there and asked for a small cup of java and the cashier said the following:

"We're actually out of coffee...we close in 12 minutes...so..."

My reply was, "Um, alright. I guess I won't need anything" and I left.

For those that have worked behind the cash register, would you have offered something different? Would you have said "sorry"? All of my experiences with this place have been great until now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12152 on: October 12, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »
Has anyone here ever worked in a restaurant, bar, coffee shop or other food related place? I'm just wondering something.

There's a quaint café down the street from where I work; it takes about 10 minutes to walk to there. They have really weird hours: 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM. I got there and asked for a small cup of java and the cashier said the following:

For those that have worked behind the cash register, would you have offered something different? Would you have said "sorry"? All of my experiences with this place have been great until now.

But it takes 5 minutes to brew some coffee. Sounds like a lazy worker that was trying to just get out as early as possible.

kashell

« Reply #12153 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:10 pm »

But it takes 5 minutes to brew some coffee. Sounds like a lazy worker that was trying to just get out as early as possible.

That's what I'm thinking.

Something funny is that the first time I went there they were about to close but a different cashier welcomed me in with no problems.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12154 on: October 12, 2016, 03:44:09 pm »
Decided this post might work better as it's own thread. Sorry. Feel free to delete this post.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:04:28 pm by burningdoom »

desocietas

« Reply #12155 on: October 12, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »

Something funny is that the first time I went there they were about to close but a different cashier welcomed me in with no problems.

Probably depends on the worker. I work the closing shift sometimes and if I'm in a decent mood, I'm pretty open to helping someone out, but if it's been a long day, I just want to close up and leave as soon as I can. Even something as easy as coffee can be annoying if there'll be a bunch of stuff to clean afterwards or if you're already busy finishing up another task.

I can be turned off by something like that, too, but I also know that I haven't always been a beaming ray of sunshine at my work ;P

Also, for some folks, selling a cup of coffee might not mean much because sometimes the person won't leave tip for something small like that.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12156 on: October 12, 2016, 04:11:19 pm »

Probably depends on the worker. I work the closing shift sometimes and if I'm in a decent mood, I'm pretty open to helping someone out, but if it's been a long day, I just want to close up and leave as soon as I can. Even something as easy as coffee can be annoying if there'll be a bunch of stuff to clean afterwards or if you're already busy finishing up another task.

I can be turned off by something like that, too, but I also know that I haven't always been a beaming ray of sunshine at my work ;P

Also, for some folks, selling a cup of coffee might not mean much because sometimes the person won't leave tip for something small like that.

It's their job, it shouldn't matter how they feel. That's why they're getting paid. "Professionalism"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12157 on: October 12, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »
Just wondering: Am I the only one that gets all kinds of annoyed at the search pop-up thing here at VGCollect? You're typing in your search, you see the game you want pop-up, you go to click it, but you just barely move your mouse too far and the entire search goes away. Annoys me every time!

kashell

« Reply #12158 on: October 12, 2016, 04:13:49 pm »

You'll always be a beaming ray of sunshine to me!

Either way, it's all in the past...and in Yelp. For a place that has the hours of 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM I guess I shouldn't be expecting too much from them.

desocietas

« Reply #12159 on: October 12, 2016, 04:46:27 pm »
It's their job, it shouldn't matter how they feel. That's why they're getting paid. "Professionalism"

Easier said than done, sometimes. And many times, those folks are getting paid minimum wage (or when I worked for my family, not at all!).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12160 on: October 12, 2016, 04:55:37 pm »

Easier said than done, sometimes. And many times, those folks are getting paid minimum wage (or when I worked for my family, not at all!).

And they'll never stop getting paid minimum wage if they have an attitude like that. Most of us started at minimum wage somewhere.

kashell

« Reply #12161 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:27 am »
My first job (aside from babysitting my cousins) paid above minimum wage, but I can see the issue from all sides now that I've calmed down.

Still, the thing that gets me the most is the fact that the place is a coffee shop. How does a coffee shop run out of coffee? O_o

« Reply #12162 on: October 13, 2016, 09:04:14 am »
So I don't know their situation or if it's a small cafe or big company cafe.  If it's a small place, they could legitimately be out of some resource required to make coffee.  I've been to several places where they make as much of what they sell as they can and once they sell out, they close for the day.  I'm not saying it's efficient or anything, but some places like to run very minimalistically.

Also, the machines that make coffee don't just turn on and turn off, I'm pretty sure they need to be prepped both ways.  They may have already shut off the machines and wouldn't be able to turn them back on in a reasonable amount of time.  Should they have turned them off early?  No.  But again, from my experience with small mom & pop type places, their hours are inconsistent in that manner, sometimes they open a little late, sometimes they close a little early.

But these same shops tend to only be run by the owners and not random teenagers.  So, probably just some employee who just didn't want to make a cup of coffee at the end of her shift.

My first job (aside from babysitting my cousins) paid above minimum wage, but I can see the issue from all sides now that I've calmed down.

Still, the thing that gets me the most is the fact that the place is a coffee shop. How does a coffee shop run out of coffee? O_o
If they actually grind the beans themselves or something, they may not have any ground up, they may not have any roasted yet, they could legitimately be out of coffee in general and need to stock up.

I don't know.  I've been in those situations A LOT where the small places just don't get enough of all the ingredients they need.  That includes cups, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to places and they tell me they are out of cups.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:06:02 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #12163 on: October 13, 2016, 09:34:41 am »
Interesting. That's the first time I've heard of a place running out of cups. I told my friend about it and he said it was like the time he went to a sandwich shop and they were out of bread.

It's a local chain, but still a chain. Last time I checked, there are three stores in the metropolitan area. I'm not sure what their process is for supplying caffeine deprived customers with their java. For what it's worth, they don't pour the drinks. They just give you a cup and a sleeve and let you do the pressing from the carafe.

« Reply #12164 on: October 13, 2016, 09:48:36 am »
Interesting. That's the first time I've heard of a place running out of cups. I told my friend about it and he said it was like the time he went to a sandwich shop and they were out of bread.

It's a local chain, but still a chain. Last time I checked, there are three stores in the metropolitan area. I'm not sure what their process is for supplying caffeine deprived customers with their java. For what it's worth, they don't pour the drinks. They just give you a cup and a sleeve and let you do the pressing from the carafe.
Oh, then absolutely they could've been out of coffee.

But more likely, which I've seen, is the carafe was empty.  It's the end of the "day", and if they make more coffee, they have to throw the rest away after you get your cup.  I've had a lot of places do that, but at least they will tell me that.