Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670071 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12285 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:35 am »
Ever get into a "favorite genre funk"? I have a ton of great RPGs to play (mainly on my Vita) but I find myself lacking the desire to actually play them. For example, I was really looking forward to playing Exist Archive, but I've barely gotten through the first couple of hours. It's fun, but I'm not thinking about playing it when I get home. The same goes for others I have in the genre.

azure

« Reply #12286 on: November 08, 2016, 09:21:35 am »
Ever get into a "favorite genre funk"? I have a ton of great RPGs to play (mainly on my Vita) but I find myself lacking the desire to actually play them. For example, I was really looking forward to playing Exist Archive, but I've barely gotten through the first couple of hours. It's fun, but I'm not thinking about playing it when I get home. The same goes for others I have in the genre.

Yeah for sure. RPGs are pretty much my favorite genre as well, but sometimes I'm just not up for one.

desocietas

« Reply #12287 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:44 am »

Yeah for sure. RPGs are pretty much my favorite genre as well, but sometimes I'm just not up for one.

Yup, totally me sometimes. Still my favorite genre, but I'll get into periods where any kind of story is "too much," and I'll just want to play a puzzle game or something.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #12288 on: November 08, 2016, 09:56:08 am »

play a different genera like platformer or rogue like till you get back into it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #12289 on: November 08, 2016, 10:08:14 am »

play a different genera like platformer or rogue like till you get back into it.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I've been playing Aragami on the PS4 (loving it) and Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 on the 3DS. I feel bad for neglecting my poor Vita.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12290 on: November 08, 2016, 12:13:05 pm »
I'm the exact same way Kash, I think its mainly because RPGs are so draining and demanding as a genre. I finished Suikoden 2 this year and working hard on doing FF7 too but the breaks I take in between are just so long because becoming so invested is so hard to do each time to me. Once I get going though its hard to stop. Maybe we should start a game-playing club to encourage each other (because my backlog of RPGs can't take me playing only 2 a year.)

kashell

« Reply #12291 on: November 08, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »
I'm the exact same way Kash, I think its mainly because RPGs are so draining and demanding as a genre. I finished Suikoden 2 this year and working hard on doing FF7 too but the breaks I take in between are just so long because becoming so invested is so hard to do each time to me. Once I get going though its hard to stop. Maybe we should start a game-playing club to encourage each other (because my backlog of RPGs can't take me playing only 2 a year.)

They can definitely be demanding. Especially some of the more modern ones. As an example, I was sad to see Baten Kaitos Origins end, but I also felt a sense of relief because it was a 50 hour game that could have easily lasted 80 to 100 hours. I looked through my list of completed games in the 52 Year Challenge topic and I finished about 18 RPGs. Some of them are more on the action side (Demon's Souls, Lightning Returns) but overall I played more non-RPGs this year.

Where are you in FFVII? I always thought that the game had really good momentum save for a few annoying parts. When you're at the end of disc 3 and can start doing the bonus stuff, that's when I usually start calling it quits because I don't want to have to deal with raising a Gold Chocobo.

« Reply #12292 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:49 pm »
Oh yeah.  I get that sometimes and I just need to play something mindless like a puzzle game, card game, shooter, etc.

rayne315

« Reply #12293 on: November 08, 2016, 02:43:13 pm »
its super stressful when your boss gives you a project that is high priority that will realistically take 3 days and he wants it done in 4 hours...
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12294 on: November 08, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »
If you feel burnt out, I find that's a good time to start focusing on other hobbies. I often go back to my movie collection or wrestling when I feel burnt out on gaming.

soera

« Reply #12295 on: November 08, 2016, 03:22:16 pm »
MK is my genre break.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12296 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:39 pm »
Where are you in FFVII? I always thought that the game had really good momentum save for a few annoying parts. When you're at the end of disc 3 and can start doing the bonus stuff, that's when I usually start calling it quits because I don't want to have to deal with raising a Gold Chocobo.

Not too far. Just got to the Shinra Building, my only problem is lacking the want to play after work. Once I get into it I will sit down and play like 3 hours after work every day and thats how I know I'm in. Thats how it went for Suikoden 2 after about 5-8 hours, just need to get to that point with FF7.

kashell

« Reply #12297 on: November 09, 2016, 08:30:00 am »

Not too far. Just got to the Shinra Building, my only problem is lacking the want to play after work. Once I get into it I will sit down and play like 3 hours after work every day and thats how I know I'm in. Thats how it went for Suikoden 2 after about 5-8 hours, just need to get to that point with FF7.

Yeah, you're still in the beginning parts since you're still in Midgard. That part is kind of slow but I really enjoyed it because you continue to see how awful life in that city is. Keep at it! ^.^

« Reply #12298 on: November 09, 2016, 10:06:38 am »
Samsung sent out an update last night to gimp my phone's battery down to a maximum of 60%.  So when my phone restarted, it went through it's security processes, and until I pass the security check Android won't load up and my alarms won't go off.

Ugh.  Getting that much closer to just going back to my old phone.

On a mostly unrelated note... I'm going on a business trip next week to Alabama, anybody know of any good game stores or spots to find games between Texas and Alabama?

desocietas

« Reply #12299 on: November 09, 2016, 11:57:44 am »
Samsung sent out an update last night to gimp my phone's battery down to a maximum of 60%.  So when my phone restarted, it went through it's security processes, and until I pass the security check Android won't load up and my alarms won't go off.

Ugh.  Getting that much closer to just going back to my old phone.

On a mostly unrelated note... I'm going on a business trip next week to Alabama, anybody know of any good game stores or spots to find games between Texas and Alabama?

Not sure where in Alabama you'll be, but I liked Classic Game Vault in Huntsville, AL.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas