Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1541100 times)

amauriel

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #2490 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »
I'm so sorry, disgaeniac. Four-legged members of the family are still members of the family. My mom even calls our cats her "grand-kitties."

Spend as much time as you can with your puppy and make sure you let it have all those treats you usually don't allow. Happy Meals aren't just for two-legged kids, ya know. :)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2491 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:42 am »
Saddening news about your dog, disgaeniac...  My friend also recently lost his dog and the picture he shared was both awesome since the dog is playful & at my friend's side, similar to when a child and dog sit together, and depressing considering that he lost his best friend.  My thoughts are with you both.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #2492 on: June 04, 2014, 11:08:42 am »
I'm still trying to be patient and excited for the PS3 exclusive "Agent" release but its hard being so patient with not a lot of info. tho' they did renew the patent extension this month...

abe

« Reply #2493 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »
Yeah, it's one of my dogs.

Thanks everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is rough. They're part of the family. I had to have my cat put down a couple of years ago due to a disease, and I know what it's like to go through that kind of loss.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:26:22 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2494 on: June 04, 2014, 02:26:40 pm »
Anime fans & collectors!

Quick question for you all -

Are anime sets/series "collect-able" (like games are) in that certain ones become rare/really hard to find & valuable as time goes by *OR* not so much?

Thanks again everyone for all of the nice words & thoughts about my dog...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

anruiukimi

« Reply #2495 on: June 04, 2014, 03:10:23 pm »
Anime fans & collectors!

Are anime sets/series "collect-able" (like games are) in that certain ones become rare/really hard to find & valuable as time goes by *OR* not so much?

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy, disgaeniac. That really stinks. :(

As for your question, honestly, for the most part, with rereleases and all, most lose value, rather than the other way around.

There is always the exception, but there's isn't too many I can think of. Some of the .hack//sign limited sets have held their value, for example. My Card Captor Sakura DVD set used to be great, but I figure that the value will plummet soon with the new release coming up. It's hard to predict, honestly. I couldn't give a few of my old anime dvds away when I last did a garage sale event at a con. But then I managed to sell my Fushigi Yuugi DVD sets at the height of the price spike for them a few years ago, and now they are selling for less than half. ::shrugs::

foxhack

« Reply #2496 on: June 04, 2014, 05:11:10 pm »
Anime fans & collectors!

Unless the series has been out of print for years, nope. Especially now that companies are re-releasing stuff on Bluray.

argyle

« Reply #2497 on: June 04, 2014, 05:22:52 pm »
Anime fans & collectors!

As for your question, honestly, for the most part, with rereleases and all, most lose value, rather than the other way around.

There is always the exception, but there's isn't too many I can think of. Some of the .hack//sign limited sets have held their value, for example. My Card Captor Sakura DVD set used to be great, but I figure that the value will plummet soon with the new release coming up. It's hard to predict, honestly. I couldn't give a few of my old anime dvds away when I last did a garage sale event at a con. But then I managed to sell my Fushigi Yuugi DVD sets at the height of the price spike for them a few years ago, and now they are selling for less than half. ::shrugs::

I agree - honestly, they're almost the same as any other DVDs (they may hold a slightly higher value overall).  You'll occasionally run across something that's in demand and for some reason people are buying for crazy prices because they think it'll never be released again - but then it is, and the value plummets.  ;)  I offloaded my original Tron DVD a few months before the new movie came out because it was going for close to $100.  IMO it was obvious that Disney was going to re-release the movie to help promote the new film, and they did.  :P  Along the same lines, if I personally still owned my Star Wars DVDs w/ the original cuts on them I'd be selling them right now & getting my profit, because anyone who thinks Disney won't put out the original cuts - but done much better than Lucas did, and on blu-ray no doubt - is fooling themselves.  ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

90snostalga

« Reply #2498 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:30 pm »
Anime fans & collectors!

I agree - honestly, they're almost the same as any other DVDs (they may hold a slightly higher value overall).  You'll occasionally run across something that's in demand and for some reason people are buying for crazy prices because they think it'll never be released again - but then it is, and the value plummets.  ;)  I offloaded my original Tron DVD a few months before the new movie came out because it was going for close to $100.  IMO it was obvious that Disney was going to re-release the movie to help promote the new film, and they did.  :P  Along the same lines, if I personally still owned my Star Wars DVDs w/ the original cuts on them I'd be selling them right now & getting my profit, because anyone who thinks Disney won't put out the original cuts - but done much better than Lucas did, and on blu-ray no doubt - is fooling themselves.  ;)

I've got all the Star Wars releases vhs and DVD.  I refuse to buy any Star Wars on Blu ray until they release all episodes in 3D Blu Ray.  Do you think that will end up happening?

foxhack

« Reply #2499 on: June 04, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »
( ... ) if I personally still owned my Star Wars DVDs w/ the original cuts on them I'd be selling them right now & getting my profit, because anyone who thinks Disney won't put out the original cuts - but done much better than Lucas did, and on blu-ray no doubt - is fooling themselves.  ;)

... have you seen the criticism towards Disney's recent botched "remastered" animation releases?

The original DVDs are still going to be the best ones available for a very long time, at least until they get rid of their fetish for cleaning up footage that doesn't need it.

argyle

« Reply #2500 on: June 04, 2014, 05:52:49 pm »
( ... ) if I personally still owned my Star Wars DVDs w/ the original cuts on them I'd be selling them right now & getting my profit, because anyone who thinks Disney won't put out the original cuts - but done much better than Lucas did, and on blu-ray no doubt - is fooling themselves.  ;)

... have you seen the criticism towards Disney's recent botched "remastered" animation releases?

The original DVDs are still going to be the best ones available for a very long time, at least until they get rid of their fetish for cleaning up footage that doesn't need it.

Like what?  I've seen several of Disney's re-releases and haven't personally had any complaints.  I *can* say from experience tho that those Star Wars transfers were awful. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

foxhack

« Reply #2501 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »
Like what?  I've seen several of Disney's re-releases and haven't personally had any complaints.  I *can* say from experience tho that those Star Wars transfers were awful.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sword-in-the-Stone-Blu-ray/44743/#Review

Click on the pictures. It looks awful. ;_;

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2502 on: June 04, 2014, 07:29:16 pm »

The Lion King had extra stuff too. They had a different voice too. That kid from Home Improvement had grow up. It threw me off.

I read somewhere on the interwebs that Disney was looking to release an Uncut Original Trilogy (Original Original Trilogy?) on Blu Ray next summer. Now, I saw that on the internet; so take what you want from it.

argyle

« Reply #2503 on: June 04, 2014, 07:36:20 pm »

Eh, how they treat their b-line movies isn't a good indicator of how they would treat Star Wars.  The wife & I watched Lion King on blu just a couple months ago & it looked amazing.  I agree that it's a shame they don't give the same attention to all of their movies (I was a big fan of SitS as a kid) but I still don't think it's an indicator of what they'll do with arguably the biggest movie trilogy of all time. 

90snostalga

« Reply #2504 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:09 pm »
I don't know why but I woke up in a bad mood this morning.  I went off on the kids and told them I'm tired of the house looking like **** and made them clean up the entire house.  I told my wife to shut up and to stop going off on me about the house being clean, and when I get on to the kids for not cleaning up after themselves, she gets mad at me for making the kids clean.  Now everyone is mad at me in the house

Time to play Pandora's Tower  8)