Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1651229 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3270 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »
I laughed to myself.

Cool!

I laugh at you a lot too  :P

Sorry to hear about your great grandmother, Kash  :'(

No worries at all, my friend. I never got to meet her, but from what I hear she was one of a kind and actually helped contribute to ALS research. In other news, jfloydLunar from RPG:EE and I are kicking around the idea of him heading to Nashville in October. You should come, too! Cloud and I can show you all the kick ass video game stores!

hah!

My birthday's in Oct & getting to meet you guys irl would be a nice way to treat myself for my birthday  ;D

Me & Junpei have been meaning & trying to get together for *Years* now.

Remind me about it in the beginning of Oct & I'll see what my girl's plans & schedule are and maybe we can work in a road trip down there from NJ  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #3271 on: August 26, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »
I laughed to myself.

Cool!

I laugh at you a lot too  :P

Sorry to hear about your great grandmother, Kash  :'(

No worries at all, my friend. I never got to meet her, but from what I hear she was one of a kind and actually helped contribute to ALS research. In other news, jfloydLunar from RPG:EE and I are kicking around the idea of him heading to Nashville in October. You should come, too! Cloud and I can show you all the kick ass video game stores!

hah!

My birthday's in Oct & getting to meet you guys irl would be a nice way to treat myself for my birthday  ;D

Me & Junpei have been meaning & trying to get together for *Years* now.

Remind me about it in the beginning of Oct & I'll see what my girl's plans & schedule are and maybe we can work in a road trip down there from NJ  8)

Too bad we don't have any more travel in our budget this year, I'd take a drive up & crash that party.  ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

90snostalga

« Reply #3272 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
Got my PS3 back today  :)  Now it does work but it looks like they either gave me a new system or replaced the hard drive, or reset the hard drive.  Can anyone tell me how to verify that I still have a 500GB hard drive and whats a good way to back up files on the ps3 without using internet?  For example, I had completed Red Dead Redemption on it before I sent it for repair but now that save file is gone.  Whats the best backup method?  Thanks for any help. 

argyle

« Reply #3273 on: August 26, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »
Got my PS3 back today  :)  Now it does work but it looks like they either gave me a new system or replaced the hard drive, or reset the hard drive.  Can anyone tell me how to verify that I still have a 500GB hard drive and whats a good way to back up files on the ps3 without using internet?  For example, I had completed Red Dead Redemption on it before I sent it for repair but now that save file is gone.  Whats the best backup method?  Thanks for any help.

Go to Settings -> System Settings & scroll to the bottom, there should be an option close to the bottom that's called something like System Information.  That will tell you how much free space you have on your drive.  With a 500GB drive you should have 400-something gb free. 

And I want to say you can backup individual saves to a USB drive, but don't quote me on that. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

90snostalga

« Reply #3274 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:12 pm »

Go to Settings -> System Settings & scroll to the bottom, there should be an option close to the bottom that's called something like System Information.  That will tell you how much free space you have on your drive.  With a 500GB drive you should have 400-something gb free. 

And I want to say you can backup individual saves to a USB drive, but don't quote me on that.

Ah okay your exactly right about the hard drive.  But whats weird is it says 411GB/465GB.  I take it the operating system and defaults may take up some memory??  And I'll have to try the usb flash drive option to see if that works.   

90snostalga

« Reply #3275 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:48 pm »
@Disgaeniac, now I got my PS3 back in going to give Arland a try! Wish me luck :)

argyle

« Reply #3276 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:31 pm »

Ah okay your exactly right about the hard drive.  But whats weird is it says 411GB/465GB.  I take it the operating system and defaults may take up some memory??  And I'll have to try the usb flash drive option to see if that works.

The OS takes up a little space but not that much.  The short answer is that hard drive companies lie, and a 500gb drive is not 500gb.  The long answer is full of tech talk that will make this place feel like a bad Star Trek episode.  :P

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3277 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:24 am »
Does anyone know of anywhere to buy back-issues of old gaming magazines like EGM and Game Players, other than eBay?

The prices seem a bit inflated on eBay. Why pay as much for a classic gaming magazine as you would for an actual classic game?!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:12:33 am by burningdoom »

argyle

« Reply #3278 on: August 27, 2014, 12:35:23 am »
Does anyone know of anywhere to buy back-issues of old gaming magazines like EGM and Game Players, other than eBay?

The prices seem a bit inflated on eBay. Why pay as much for a classic gaming magazine as you would for an actual classic game?!

I have some old EGMs that I'm sure we could work out something reasonable for if you're interested - I'll go through them later this week & let you know which issues I have.  At a guess I'd say most of them are probably from the late 90's & early 2000's. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3279 on: August 27, 2014, 12:53:05 am »

I have some old EGMs that I'm sure we could work out something reasonable for if you're interested - I'll go through them later this week & let you know which issues I have.  At a guess I'd say most of them are probably from the late 90's & early 2000's.

I just came from the dentist today and have a crapload of work ahead of me, so I probably couldn't afford them right now. I happened to have a few bucks on my PayPal account left from a recent sale. I was looking to see if I could find 1 issue or something for that much. I did find one, luckily, but it was the only odd duck priced that low. I was more asking for future reference.

Thanks, though. I will try to remember this next time I have some spending money.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:06:58 am by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3280 on: August 27, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
@Disgaeniac, now I got my PS3 back in going to give Arland a try! Wish me luck :)

Sweet!

Let me know what you think of it.

As far as the PS3 goes, my fat, launch 60 Gig (upgraded to 500 Gig) is still my favorite model for not only the PS2 b/c but also for its ability to back up saves/transfer pics, etc to/from a USB.

I get that the PS2 b/c was costly - so they got rid of it in later models -but- getting rid of the USB slot always pissed me off & struck me as a stupid, wtf?! kind of move; AFAIK, that's no where near as expensive as the PS2 b/c was...

Of course, there's always PS + which, IMO, is worth its price for its cloud saving ability alone if you PS3 doesn't have the USB slot.

@Greg -

I'm with ya brother - there's more people on this site that I'd actually *really* want to meet irl than any other ones  8)

90snostalga

« Reply #3281 on: August 27, 2014, 01:01:01 pm »
Ah, After giving Atelier Rorona about an hour, that game is not for me.  I played a PS2 Alchemy game years ago very similar that I could not get into.  The story did not capture my attention at the beginning.  This girl Rorona comes to the town to show everyone what the technology statue or thing was and she could stay if they let her practiced alchemy.  Then to find out she barley knows alchemy and the shop is mysteriously going to be shut down, etc.  Story just was not strong to me or catching.  But I gave it a chance and tried to go out and find ingredients and did a couple of battles with monsters.  It just did not do it for me.  I understand it has a cult following but I just cant handle it. 

I wish I could because I really wanted to get into the Atelier series  :'(  But regardless of that, I appreciate the recommendation Disgaeniac!   :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3282 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »
Ah, After giving Atelier Rorona about an hour, that game is not for me.  I played a PS2 Alchemy game years ago very similar that I could not get into.  The story did not capture my attention at the beginning.  This girl Rorona comes to the town to show everyone what the technology statue or thing was and she could stay if they let her practiced alchemy.  Then to find out she barley knows alchemy and the shop is mysteriously going to be shut down, etc.  Story just was not strong to me or catching.  But I gave it a chance and tried to go out and find ingredients and did a couple of battles with monsters.  It just did not do it for me.  I understand it has a cult following but I just cant handle it. 

I wish I could because I really wanted to get into the Atelier series  :'(  But regardless of that, I appreciate the recommendation Disgaeniac!   :)

At least you gave it a shot    ;D

No worries, as much as I might *think* that they should - not everyone's going to like & enjoy every game the same way that I do    ;)

At least here at VGC, we don't get much of the immature & prevailing attitude and theme that a lot of other gaming sites do...you all know wtf I'm talking about; right?

The old & ever popular "you're *wrong* and/or have bad taste if you don't like what I do the exact same way & amount that I do" one   :P

90snostalga

« Reply #3283 on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »

At least you gave it a shot    ;D

No worries, as much as I might *think* that they should - not everyone's going to like & enjoy every game the same way that I do    ;)

At least here at VGC, we don't get much of the immature & prevailing attitude and theme that a lot of other gaming sites do...you all know wtf I'm talking about; right?

The old & ever popular "you're *wrong* and/or have bad taste if you don't like what I do the exact same way & amount that I do" one   :P

Yea I tried and gave it a shot.  I did like the animation, you know the cartoonish look.  That was very appealing but that was about all for me tho.  I did get a giggle tho.  The part were her master was like "oh do are you talking about what I did to you in your sleep last night?"  after a few seconds, I was like what??  Its like the game hints at sexual humor which was clever lol  ;)

And this is the only gaming site I'm affiliated with so I don't know about any other ones and I now fell left out.  I take it VGCollect is the Best!??  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:54:07 pm by 90snostalga »

kashell

« Reply #3284 on: August 27, 2014, 06:16:03 pm »
@dark: I sure will! It was just a random idea; we'll see if it actually happens. However, jfloyd seems to be very disciplined and seems to follow through on what he says.

Tales of Xillia 2 - Chapter 10 - full party. I really like using Gaius. He decimates things by kicking them.