Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1651268 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3930 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:36 pm »
Do you get tired of the hunt and just want to get all the games in one shot? Well, here's your chance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/10/09/is-this-the-greatest-ebay-listing-ever/

*HELL NO*!

IMO, if you take the thrill of the hunt, the excitement & anticipation, and all of the senses of satisfaction, accomplishment, achievement, and - YES, god damnit...even victory away from collecting; what's left would resemble *work* more than it would resemble anything fun and/or enjoyable >:(

I dunno, but he talks about how he's "selling his nostalgia & hard earned collection of his youth"

AND

he then goes on to state that "he's acquired everything here over the last 5 years" = something sounds 'off' here to me :-\

My own gut-feeling & suspicion here aside, that would mean he's been buying 1,000+ games every year...for 5 consecutive years :o

As someone who enjoys actually playing my games a helluva lot more than I enjoy buying, selling, trading, and staring at games that I'll never play on screens all day long...getting so many games so fast (even as a gift) just wouldn't be "fun" to me.

I know and I'm good friends w/ several folks who actually have (and are willing & able to spend) this kind of money on games, and - I wouldn't (and I'm not going to) do any of them dis-service of directing them to this sale.

Besides...who the fuck/what kind of person buys 1,000+ games a year (for *ONLY* 5 years)...just to turn around and sell ALL of them?

No thanks...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #3931 on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:44 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately Mother 3 and Mother 1+2 on the GBA are pretty expensive. :( Mother 2 for the SFC is pretty cheap, but I doubt somebody made a translation patch for a game that actually got localized not too long after the Japanese release.

Yeah I kinda wish there were some games that DID get localized but still had translation patches out there. I know that sounds kinda stupid, but SFC games are sooooooooooooooooo much cheaper and I usually like the boxart on the japanese games better. I mean, as I said before I have no clue about things related to the technical aspects of coding or making a game, but I would think there would be some relatively easy way to rip the translated text out of a game that already has it and make it available as a patch for other regions.

Is that not sorta what happened with Mother/"Earthbound Zero"? The official translation was ripped from a rom from one of the prototype cartridges and somehow turned into a translation patch or something. My memory's a bit rusty on that though, maybe I'm not quite remembering things properly.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #3932 on: October 14, 2014, 03:04:10 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately Mother 3 and Mother 1+2 on the GBA are pretty expensive. :( Mother 2 for the SFC is pretty cheap, but I doubt somebody made a translation patch for a game that actually got localized not too long after the Japanese release.

Yeah I kinda wish there were some games that DID get localized but still had translation patches out there. I know that sounds kinda stupid, but SFC games are sooooooooooooooooo much cheaper and I usually like the boxart on the japanese games better. I mean, as I said before I have no clue about things related to the technical aspects of coding or making a game, but I would think there would be some relatively easy way to rip the translated text out of a game that already has it and make it available as a patch for other regions.

Is that not sorta what happened with Mother/"Earthbound Zero"? The official translation was ripped from a rom from one of the prototype cartridges and somehow turned into a translation patch or something. My memory's a bit rusty on that though, maybe I'm not quite remembering things properly.
I could be wrong, but what basically happened is that the game was fully translated and ready to go with Nintendo, but it was so late in the NES' life that they decided not to publish it. Eventually the ROM leaked, and people could play it/make reproduction carts.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

abe

« Reply #3933 on: October 14, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »

I could be wrong, but what basically happened is that the game was fully translated and ready to go with Nintendo, but it was so late in the NES' life that they decided not to publish it. Eventually the ROM leaked, and people could play it/make reproduction carts.

Yeah, that sounds right. I think I was thinking about the early Mother 1+2 patches that patched Mother 1 using Nintendo's original translation.

soera

« Reply #3934 on: October 14, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
Do you get tired of the hunt and just want to get all the games in one shot? Well, here's your chance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/10/09/is-this-the-greatest-ebay-listing-ever/

Nice collection but $165K ? No way. Makes me wonder what I would get for my collection.

bobster

« Reply #3935 on: October 14, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »

Yeah, that sounds right. I think I was thinking about the early Mother 1+2 patches that patched Mother 1 using Nintendo's original translation.
You're probably right. I don't know anything about the Mother 1+2 on the GBA. That was never released in the US either correct?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3936 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

Nice collection but $165K ? No way. Makes me wonder what I would get for my collection.

I thought the same thing.  I could sell out and pay off the house.  Then, I'd get to start over again.  That might be kind of fun.

abe

« Reply #3937 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »

You're probably right. I don't know anything about the Mother 1+2 on the GBA. That was never released in the US either correct?

Indeed it wasn't. It's unfortunate, but not surprising given the history of the series in NA. I'm still shocked that Earthbound is out on the WiiU's virtual console in North America.

bobster

« Reply #3938 on: October 14, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »

Indeed it wasn't. It's unfortunate, but not surprising given the history of the series in NA. I'm still shocked that Earthbound is out on the WiiU's virtual console in North America.
Isn't it amazing!? I'm so happy they acknowledged the series in some way at all.

abe

« Reply #3939 on: October 14, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »

Isn't it amazing!? I'm so happy they acknowledged the series in some way at all.

It is nice, and it would be even nicer if I had a WiiU. :P It's also nice that Mother 3 was mentioned in one of Nintendo's Robot Chicken style skits for their E3 conference thing, even if they were just messing with us. :(

Here's a video clip for those of you who might have no idea what I'm talking about. It's around 37 seconds into the video.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3940 on: October 14, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »
Brother Brad (aka soera) did me a favor & added the PSTV to the database here ;D

If/when anyone else gets one & wants to add it to their collection, you can either:

A). Find/add it via "Browsing" under the categories of Vita ==> Accessories *OR*

B). Find it via "Search".  Should you want to search for it, entering "PSTV" will avail you naught & will doubtless be an unsatisfying endeavor on your end  :P

- It is listed as "Playstation TV" ==> "also known as/other names" "PS TV".

That is all  8) 
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3941 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:16 pm »
Bayonetta 2. . . WOW!!!!

That is all. . .

davifus

« Reply #3942 on: October 14, 2014, 06:20:10 pm »
Bayonetta 2. . . WOW!!!!

That is all. . .

I heard the initial sales for it was pretty bad.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #3943 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:21 pm »
Bayonetta 2. . . WOW!!!!

That is all. . .

I could care less, I'm buying this game next week. It is incredible!

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3944 on: October 14, 2014, 06:49:12 pm »
Bayonetta 2. . . WOW!!!!

That is all. . .

I could care less, I'm buying this game next week. It is incredible!

One of the reasons I got a Wii U!