Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1651509 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3975 on: October 16, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »
Cards and video games/arcades are two entirely different things, though.

Yeah, this is why I used ("software") in the initial post where I asked the question.

That said - since this is the misc, general, and "anything goes" topic...I don't have any problem w/ bringing up & discussing company histories, early days, other ventures, trivia, etc...

Speaking of: Thanks Turf, for the link; I hadn't seen that Ninty video before - and, it was pretty interesting  ;D 
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3976 on: October 16, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »
Now that you say that...I think that I remember hearing about Ninty & the playing cards before, too.

Here's a good video about Nintendo's history.

Sega, Bally, Midway, Gottileb, and Williams are the first names you see a lot in the arcade scene.

Scratch Bally and Midway. They're one company now.   I think the merger disqualifies them.  I don't know who bought who, but it's Bally Midway now.

I'm assuming Bally owns Midway considering A: Bally's name comes first and B: I remember getting a "going out of business" midway sale on steam a while back and got like 20 midway games for 20 bucks

foxhack

« Reply #3977 on: October 16, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »
Midway began in 1958, got bought out by Bally in 1969. The gaming division was bought by Williams in 1988, then did a bunch of stuff until they went bankrupt in 2009. Some of their properties (like Mortal Kombat) are now owned by Warner Bros.

argyle

« Reply #3978 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
Yeah when I said Activision I was thinking strictly home console software publishers that are still around in today (as the same company, not as a name that someone else bought & uses like Atari is now). Is there a home software dev/pub that dates back earlier than Activision?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #3979 on: October 16, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »
Yeah when I said Activision I was thinking strictly home console software publishers that are still around in today (as the same company, not as a name that someone else bought & uses like Atari is now). Is there a home software dev/pub that dates back earlier than Activision?

I don't believe so.

... and a going out of sale sale on Steam?! ARGH I WISH I'D GOTTEN IN ON THAT. :(

« Reply #3980 on: October 17, 2014, 12:35:04 am »
Does anyone have a shiny Charmader in either X or Y version they'd be willing to trade me? Thank you.

davifus

« Reply #3981 on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:23 am »
Does anyone have a shiny Charmader in either X or Y version they'd be willing to trade me? Thank you.

I might have one but I haven't play X&Y for a couple months so I dont remember. I could probably go back to B&W and RNG one If you dont mind the non-Kalos region.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #3982 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:04 am »

I might have one but I haven't play X&Y for a couple months so I dont remember. I could probably go back to B&W and RNG one If you dont mind the non-Kalos region.

That would be awesome! I'd very much so appreciate one no matter what version it originally came from. Please let me know if you end up having one. Thank you :)

90snostalga

« Reply #3983 on: October 17, 2014, 08:03:21 am »
Hey hey my vgcollect friends!  :)

davifus

« Reply #3984 on: October 17, 2014, 08:54:30 am »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

soera

« Reply #3985 on: October 17, 2014, 09:51:27 am »

Hey, where ya been?

argyle

« Reply #3986 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:18 am »

A wild 90snostalga appears! :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #3987 on: October 17, 2014, 10:42:18 am »
At least it's better than, "A wild Vegh Esther appears!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3988 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

Yo yo yo

karyann

« Reply #3989 on: October 17, 2014, 07:26:00 pm »
Welcome back, 90s!  8)

I just received my 16GB Class 10 Sandisk SD card which I ordered for my 3DS, and it's not as big a difference than I thought it would be, but it certainly does load faster. Seeing how I almost don't download anything, this will probably last me a lifetime  :P