Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1654386 times)

bobster

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5085 on: December 15, 2014, 09:52:29 am »
All this talk about the Wild Arms soundtracks just remind me that I haven't played them but probably should  :(

Le what? You should! I think you'd enjoy them. However, I'm not sure whether or not the original Wild Arms has aged well. I would say play them in this order: Wild Arms: Alter Code F, Wild Arms 2, Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms 5.

But, that's just me. Maybe some other folks can give some insight.
I definitely want to play them! While they're not particularly expensive, I am a cheap bastard so I've yet to invest in the series lol.

That's something that always annoyed me about being a fan of RPGs: price. Like, I went game shopping this past weekend to my favorite game store and most PS1 games range from 99 cents to three dollars. Yet, when it comes to RPGs, they're behind protective casing and can cost a pretty penny.

They still have the copy of Shining in the Darkness for 99 dollars...man that'd be a neat piece of video game history to own but I doubt I'd ever play it since I'm not a fan of most SRPGs.
Yup I definitely agree. Though, to be fair, RPGs are more sought after than any other genre I would think. It's that stupid supply and demand getting in the way  :P. It just occurred to me that maybe I should look and see if the PSN has any of them digitally. Might be a cheaper route for some of them.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

kashell

« Reply #5086 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
I think the first two are on the PSN. The second one is my favorite in the series so I'd definitely recommend getting that. ^^

bobster

« Reply #5087 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:32 am »
I think the first two are on the PSN. The second one is my favorite in the series so I'd definitely recommend getting that. ^^
Looks that way! at $6 a pop too. Really not that bad. Maybe I'll go that route and if I like them enough, I'll pursue the rest of the games. I can even use my PSP so I can play during lunch at work  :D

kashell

« Reply #5088 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:23 am »
Looks that way! at $6 a pop too. Really not that bad. Maybe I'll go that route and if I like them enough, I'll pursue the rest of the games. I can even use my PSP so I can play during lunch at work  :D

Excellent! I'm sort of jealous that you'll be experiencing those "first time playing this game" feels when you begin Wild Arms 2.

In Suikoden II news, I just finished recruiting Kiba and Klaus. I think I'm making progress slowly but surely.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5089 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:54 am »
All this talk about the Wild Arms soundtracks just remind me that I haven't played them but probably should  :(

Le what? You should! I think you'd enjoy them. However, I'm not sure whether or not the original Wild Arms has aged well. I would say play them in this order: Wild Arms: Alter Code F, Wild Arms 2, Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms 5.

But, that's just me. Maybe some other folks can give some insight.
I definitely want to play them! While they're not particularly expensive, I am a cheap bastard so I've yet to invest in the series lol.

That's something that always annoyed me about being a fan of RPGs: price. Like, I went game shopping this past weekend to my favorite game store and most PS1 games range from 99 cents to three dollars. Yet, when it comes to RPGs, they're behind protective casing and can cost a pretty penny.

They still have the copy of Shining in the Darkness for 99 dollars...man that'd be a neat piece of video game history to own but I doubt I'd ever play it since I'm not a fan of most SRPGs.
Yup I definitely agree. Though, to be fair, DARKRPGER's are more sought after than any others, I would think. It's that stupid supply and demand getting in the way  :P. It just occurred to me that maybe I should look and see if the PSN has any of them digitally. Might be a cheaper route for some of them.

fix'd

and

QFMFT ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #5090 on: December 15, 2014, 11:09:47 am »
Think of RPGs in a game sense from a logical point of view. You get some boring sports game ... you can experience a couple of hours then the game is repetitive and your fun time drops immensely. With an RPG, you can rack up 80-100+ hours going through the game once and probably not get everything depending on the game. So the money per hour ratio is actually cheaper on an RPG.

When I first started gaming, I would blast through a game or two in a night. Then I discovered RPGs and found something that would keep me occupied long enough to warrant buying a game instead of just renting a game. It changed the whole perspective on gaming to me.

Speaking of, Child of light is screaming at me ... see ya!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5091 on: December 15, 2014, 11:27:30 am »
Think of RPGs in a game sense from a logical point of view. You get some boring sports game ... you can experience a couple of hours then the game is repetitive and your fun time drops immensely. With an RPG, you can rack up 80-100+ hours going through the game once and probably not get everything depending on the game. So the money per hour ratio is actually cheaper on an RPG.

When I first started gaming, I would blast through a game or two in a night. Then I discovered RPGs and found something that would keep me occupied long enough to warrant buying a game instead of just renting a game. It changed the whole perspective on gaming to me.

weren't you hooked on MMO-Crack too?

how's that, money for value-wise :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5092 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:43 am »
So the money per hour ratio is actually cheaper on an RPG.

That's some logic I can get behind.  I wish I liked RPGs. You can get more out of them.  Oh well, I'll just wait till stuff goes on sale.

kashell

« Reply #5093 on: December 15, 2014, 11:38:04 am »
So the money per hour ratio is actually cheaper on an RPG.

That's some logic I can get behind.  I wish I liked RPGs. You can get more out of them.  Oh well, I'll just wait till stuff goes on sale.

I mean...er...sometimes? I don't know, the RPGs for the Saturn that I played and that were insanely priced the last time I checked only lasted only 20 to 40 hours. That's even after doing everything. The same can be said for a good chunk of the titles on the PlayStation. I can't even think of any that lasted more than 60 hours that had a high price tag.

Actually, I spent more time on Mega Man X4 than most RPGs.

bobster

« Reply #5094 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:33 am »

Excellent! I'm sort of jealous that you'll be experiencing those "first time playing this game" feels when you begin Wild Arms 2.

In Suikoden II news, I just finished recruiting Kiba and Klaus. I think I'm making progress slowly but surely.
Glad to see you're making progress! I'm trying to remember how far into the game that event was, but I'm drawing a blank. It sounds like you're a decent ways in though.

kashell

« Reply #5095 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »

Glad to see you're making progress! I'm trying to remember how far into the game that event was, but I'm drawing a blank. It sounds like you're a decent ways in though.

Excellent. I think my time is 20 hours. It would be less, but I needed to farm an item called a Celadon Urn in order to recruit someone.

Guilty Gear comes out tomorrow! Hopefully someone will play with me. ^^

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5096 on: December 15, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »

Guilty Gear comes out tomorrow! Hopefully someone will play with me. ^^

Son of a bitch, I thought that game was coming out early next year. I won't be getting it til the weekend then. I was convinced into buying a bike this week so not getting it til payday.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:55:33 pm by redblaze57 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5097 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:27 pm »
RPGs are definitely the best deal for your money, game-time wise.

But to play the devil's advocate here, RPGs can be JUST as repetitive as sports games when you have to grind or have lots of random-encounters.

desocietas

« Reply #5098 on: December 15, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »
Just wanted to drop in to say that Wild Arms 3 is one of my faves (I've still yet to beat it or play the other Wild Arms  ::) )
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #5099 on: December 15, 2014, 01:51:19 pm »

weren't you hooked on MMO-Crack too?

how's that, money for value-wise :o

I cant imagine a cheaper game option. I played EQ every day 10-12 hours for under $15 a month. Its basically a couple cents an hour. :D

RPGs are definitely the best deal for your money, game-time wise.

But to play the devil's advocate here, RPGs can be JUST as repetitive as sports games when you have to grind or have lots of random-encounters.

I agree that grinding when necessary can be repetitive.

Which all ones have you tried? Im sure there are some more out there you would enjoy. :D