Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1661487 times)

abe

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6105 on: February 19, 2015, 08:36:12 pm »
My buddy has Earthbound for SNES.... must buy!
Get it! It's ssoooo good! At least I think so  :)
It's amazing! :D It's also not cheap. :'(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #6106 on: February 19, 2015, 11:37:41 pm »
My buddy has Earthbound for SNES.... must buy!
Get it! It's ssoooo good! At least I think so  :)
It's amazing! :D It's also not cheap. :'(
Yeah its a pretty good game. I played through it about a year ago( no physical cart :/), but it was pretty engaging and enjoyable experience, especially at the end. Hopefully you can get a good deal if you're looking to get it from your friend.

kashell

« Reply #6107 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:40 am »
I remember playing the very -VERY- beginning of Earthbound years ago. It never captivated me, but that was a different time. What's the appeal of the title? Is it a lengthy campaign?

EDIT: I just checked prices on amazon. Yikes! This is not a cheap title!

Wow, 500 posts in what seems like such a short amount of time. Most of those posts have been on this topic. It's been a lovely time participating in this website, in these forums and getting to know everyone. Here's to the next 500!

Cheers!  :D Glad to have you with us!

*clinks champagne flutes* Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:13:50 am by kashell »

Bwigdahl

« Reply #6108 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:17 am »
the appeal of earthbound for me is the charm/writing/story aspect of it. I just had a really good time going through the entire game (which is quite lengthy at least for a SNES rpg). there's nothing really innovative or interesting from a gameplay perspective, the fighting system is super basic, but there are just things that make it stand out to me. the fact that you don't really have to grind at any point (maybe for one or 2 bosses, but not that much overall) as long as you play through the game and fight a good amount of the enemies you should always be at the appropriate level. the little things like just giving you exp instead of making you go through the fight if you mathematically can't lose. the no random encounters, all those little things that sometimes make rpgs a chore, I feel like earthbound does a great job of streamlining just enough that it's not frustrating, but still feels like a legit rpg. And then there's the music which has some of my all time favorite songs in any game from any era. And the interactions you'll have with just random people in the town. There were so many times in that game when I'd talk to someone and one little piece of dialogue would just crack me the hell up, like the lady in the elevator telling you "don't stare at my hips!"

I personally love the game, but I know some people don't. I would say don't buy it on ebay unless you know you love it, but if you have a wii u I think it is DEFINITELY worth the 8 bucks on virtual console. You even get the digital version of the strategy guide it came with.

kashell

« Reply #6109 on: February 20, 2015, 08:59:38 am »
Sad, sad news. tri-Ace has been bought by a company called Nepro. As expected, Nepro is a company that focuses on cell phone, F2P titles. So much for any more entries in Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Honestly, I had a feeling this was coming for a while but, still...sad.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6110 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:36 am »
Sad, sad news. tri-Ace has been bought by a company called Nepro. As expected, Nepro is a company that focuses on cell phone, F2P titles. So much for any more entries in Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

bobster

« Reply #6111 on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:51 am »

Ouch that really bums me out. I'm a big Valkyrie Profile fan, and I'm 2 of 4 games through Star Ocean so I'm starting to get pretty invested in that series too. Need to find some time to play Til the end of time.

Regarding Earthbound, it's a quirky, funny RPG. It's also a nice coming of age type story. Bwigdahl basically said it best.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6112 on: February 20, 2015, 10:10:22 am »
how much was it going for, kash?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6113 on: February 20, 2015, 10:39:23 am »
 ;D

yep, this is a "Happy Face" post, question, bit of good news, and a hypothetical (to & for the rest of you)!

last night, i won (and - more importantly - was paid-in-full on the spot) between $1,300 and $1,400 in cash playing cards.

forget about the $300 to $400 part of it, though...my girl's going to be getting some nice & unexpected treats, nights out, and surprises with it :-[

So...the question/hypothetical is:

If an unexpected grand was to fall into your lap - earmarked & needed for nothing but treating yourself + your collection...what would you get?

2-3 consoles?

a shitload of games?

1 or 2 "Holy Grail" games?

pre-order & prepay 15-20 upcoming games?

get a decade's worth of psn & max-out your psn wallet (iirc, it's got a cap of $200 or $300)?

a combination of the above? (explain/describe)

none of the above? (explain/describe)

an idea that i haven't even thought of or listed?

etc?

;D

"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6114 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:36 am »
;D

yep, this is a "Happy Face" post, question, bit of good news, and a hypothetical (to & for the rest of you)!

last night, i won (and - more importantly - was paid-in-full on the spot) between $1,300 and $1,400 in cash playing cards.

forget about the $300 to $400 part of it, though...my girl's going to be getting some nice & unexpected treats, nights out, and surprises with it :-[

If an unexpected grand was to fall into your lap - earmarked & needed for nothing but treating yourself + your collection...what would you get?

2-3 consoles?

a shitload of games?

get a decade's worth of psn & max-out your psn wallet (iirc, it's got a cap of $200 or $300)?

etc?

;D

Easy question.

I'd knock out a couple of the big ticket NES games.  Samson or Flintstones and a couple of the other $100 games.

desocietas

« Reply #6115 on: February 20, 2015, 10:52:51 am »
;D

2-3 consoles?

a shitload of games?

etc?

;D

Credit cards for me, but otherwise I'd use it on getting all my expensive wishlist items :) congrats!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #6116 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
It was going for 500 dollars complete. I only buy my games complete, so that would be the amount I'd have to pay.

Anyway, congrats on the win! If I won all that money just for the purpose of splurging I would probably do the following:

1. Buy myself a PS4

2. Pre-order Omega Quintet

3. Buy a few cheap games that I have had my eye on

4. If there was anything left, I'd just stash it away for future releases such as Tales of Zestiria

That's really about it. Congrats again on the win!

bobster

« Reply #6117 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:49 am »
Like other's have said, all other financial obligations being taken care of, I'd buy some big ticket items. It's always hard to justify those big purchases for me, so the only chance they'd happen is with a big cash windfall.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

Bwigdahl

« Reply #6118 on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:01 am »
Like other's have said, all other financial obligations being taken care of, I'd buy some big ticket items. It's always hard to justify those big purchases for me, so the only chance they'd happen is with a big cash windfall.

this was actually why i bought earthbound and chrono trigger lol. got some extra money doing some house sitting and just decided to blow it on those.

soera

« Reply #6119 on: February 20, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »

1 "Holy Grail" game?
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/sega-saturn/magic-knight-rayearth