Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1662152 times)

argyle

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6255 on: March 04, 2015, 05:25:09 am »
Quick question: Is Ys: Memories of Celceta a good game? I've been thinking of getting the Silver Anniversary Edition for the contents, and I've heard from a few friends that its a pretty fun action rpg.

I haven't played this Ys game, but I did try to play a couple of the early ones. And I've got to say, the "running into enemies" mechanic is quite weird. I just couldn't get past that. You literally walk into enemies to fight them, and every time you do it takes some damage from you and some damage from them.

I don't know if they still do that in the series. But if they do, I'd advise that you may want to give it a shot or watch videos before buying it and see if that kind of game mechanic works for you or not.
Apparently this one is a bit different from the ones you described cuz the gameplay footage has you and two other people running around in a 3d world, and it doesn't look like you run into enemies but instead you'll take a lot of damage if you don't plan your attacks very well. So maybe the mechanics have changed alot since the first entries, but its looks pretty smooth and the combat system is pretty good, so I'll probably pick it up soon then.

I picked it up last year when it came out & had a lot of fun with it. It plays more-or-less like a Diablo clone. The story isn't the greatest, but the game isn't really about that anyway.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6256 on: March 04, 2015, 07:15:28 am »
Quick question: Is Ys: Memories of Celceta a good game? I've been thinking of getting the Silver Anniversary Edition for the contents, and I've heard from a few friends that its a pretty fun action rpg.

This might be a good question for Foxhack, but I've played most of Ys Seven and loved it. If your friend has it for a good price, I'd say bite.

question needz moar kashy!

Kashell played it (and reviewed it) on G*Faqs, if you want to check that out

*WARNING*

do NOT start reading the rest of his reviews...

...you'll lose about a week or so :o

yep - he's got this "thing" for reviews :P

luvs ya, kash  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #6257 on: March 04, 2015, 08:10:56 am »

This might be a good question for Foxhack, but I've played most of Ys Seven and loved it. If your friend has it for a good price, I'd say bite.

question needz moar kashy!

Kashell played it (and reviewed it) on G*Faqs, if you want to check that out

*WARNING*

do NOT start reading the rest of his reviews...

...you'll lose about a week or so :o

yep - he's got this "thing" for reviews :P

luvs ya, kash  ;)

You know I <3 you! I'm at my work computer now so I can't access GameFAQs. ;__; They'll have to search for the link themselves.

Like dark said, I have played it. In fact, I played it multiple times not only because of the trophies but because it was so much fun. I highly recommend it. If you're a fan of the series, then you'd do well to pick up the collector's version because the 3-disc music selection is amazing.

The "running into enemies" mechanic hasn't been used in years. They tried to bring it back to relevance with the PSP versions of Ys I and II Chronicles. If anyone is interested in checking out the entire series, I suggest playing the DS version of Ys I and II Collection that was published by Atlus. It also comes with a soundtrack. Ys III/Felghana is marvelous for the PSP. Celceta is Ys IV and we already discussed that. Ys V is the only one that hasn't been localized, at least not yet. Ys VI/Napishtim is my favorite in the entire series, but that's another story for another time. Ys VII is great and has a better story than you'd expect.

I know that Steam has Ys Origins, but I'm the furthest thing from a PC gamer so I never bothered with it beyond a couple of hours. I never liked playing games on my computer aside from solitaire and/or emulators from back in the day.

This became longer than I intended. XD Bottom line: yes, Ys IV is a fantastic title and true fans of the series should get the Silver Anniversary Edition.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6258 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:56 am »
soera - you're into Ys & know a lot about it too; don'tcha'?

closing in on the CoH2G plat, all that's left to pop the plat is the 'kill 50k monsters' trophy & I'm right ~35k so, just a matter of (having & finding the) time to grind it out...

kashell

« Reply #6259 on: March 04, 2015, 11:42:09 am »
soera - you're into Ys & know a lot about it too; don'tcha'?

closing in on the CoH2G plat, all that's left to pop the plat is the 'kill 50k monsters' trophy & I'm right ~35k so, just a matter of (having & finding the) time to grind it out...

Any shows or anime that need catching up? Now would be a good time to do it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6260 on: March 04, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »

I haven't played this Ys game, but I did try to play a couple of the early ones. And I've got to say, the "running into enemies" mechanic is quite weird. I just couldn't get past that. You literally walk into enemies to fight them, and every time you do it takes some damage from you and some damage from them.

I don't know if they still do that in the series. But if they do, I'd advise that you may want to give it a shot or watch videos before buying it and see if that kind of game mechanic works for you or not.
Apparently this one is a bit different from the ones you described cuz the gameplay footage has you and two other people running around in a 3d world, and it doesn't look like you run into enemies but instead you'll take a lot of damage if you don't plan your attacks very well. So maybe the mechanics have changed alot since the first entries, but its looks pretty smooth and the combat system is pretty good, so I'll probably pick it up soon then.

I picked it up last year when it came out & had a lot of fun with it. It plays more-or-less like a Diablo clone. The story isn't the greatest, but the game isn't really about that anyway.

You say Diablo-clone, and I'm suddenly interested! Is this game pricey to get a hold of? What system is it on?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6261 on: March 04, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »
The (Celceta / Anniversary) one that's being talked about is on the Vita.

I believe that Naphistm was a PS2 game.

I also know that there are some Ys games for the PSP.

There *may* also be digital versions of some/all of them available from PSN - there's also PC versions.

Others here can be more specific -but- being on all these platforms, should have ya' covered!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6262 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:04 pm »
The (Celceta / Anniversary) one that's being talked about is on the Vita.

I believe that Naphistm was a PS2 game.

I also know that there are some Ys games for the PSP.

There *may* also be digital versions of some/all of them available from PSN - there's also PC versions.

Others here can be more specific -but- being on all these platforms, should have ya' covered!

I just meant the Diablo-clone one they were talking about, specifically.

kashell

« Reply #6263 on: March 04, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
I wouldn't call them Diablo clones, but the ones close to it are Ys IV/Celceta and Ys VII.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6264 on: March 04, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »
Thanks.

foxhack

« Reply #6265 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:04 pm »

Sorry, I know very little about the modern Ys games. Mostly because they're on platforms I don't have. ;_;

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6266 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »
Kash -

(from the left), what are the 3rd & 4th items in your "5 most recently added" box?

looks like I *might* hit 37k today  :-\

kashell

« Reply #6267 on: March 04, 2015, 02:19:27 pm »
Kash -

(from the left), what are the 3rd & 4th items in your "5 most recently added" box?

looks like I *might* hit 37k today  :-\

The third from left is the SaGa Frontier Original Soundtrack. The fourth is the Tales of Destiny 2 Original Soundtrack.

Dear sweet goddesses, I'm getting PTSD flashbacks thinking about killing 30,000 enemies with Arumat in Star Ocean 4. With Edge, I could let the turbo controller do it but with Arumat, it had to be done manually. Hang in there!

desocietas

« Reply #6268 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:17 pm »

Sorry, I know very little about the modern Ys games. Mostly because they're on platforms I don't have. ;_;

aw, i forgot!  well, thankfully some other folks came in to chime in.  I have Celceta but haven't played it yet...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6269 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:51 am »
I'm done with snow. They called for 2"-4". We got 9". I hope this is gone by tomorrow.