Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1664996 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6930 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:40 am »

Maybe boss wasn't the right term...more like sub-boss? Mid-boss?

;D ;D ;D How can the disgaeniac do anything other than approve, chortle, nasally-eject coffee, and LMAO...when seeing use of the word:

"Mid-Boss"?  :P

Unfortunately, this humor + reference will be lost on all of those who have not yet embraced and submitted; succumbed; *Willingly* and voluntarily become a member of my...

..."Disgaeneation"

Something like that. But, since the SaGa games are usually on the more difficult side...

How many of the SaGa (W.T.F. is up w/ that capital "G" in the middle of a word? :o) games *haven't you played, kash?

Is U-SaGa as difficult and/or fun & enjoyable as our friendly 'Creekster' makes it out to be?!

While I've gotcha' here, kashy-pooh -

(sarcasm incoming >:()

did you have as much fun as I'm having trying to max-out Lily Ranks between Wyn & Lid?!

How & where did you do theirs?

What a pain in the ass :-\

I'm getting there, though (they're around 80-ish now).

I figured that I'd get this one (the worst one) out of the way so...it just gets easier from then on.  Btw - did you notice/take advantage of Wyn(nie-pooh's) + save-scumming's "OHKO" on dem' Dragons? ;)

Who's gonna' snag # 6969? :D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #6931 on: April 24, 2015, 09:57:33 am »
I was hoping you'd catch that reference! It's been a while since I played the original Disgaea, but I remember this line from it.

Laharl: "Who gives a crap what your name is! I'm calling you mid-boss!" I believe that's how it went. ^^

SaGa: I haven't played the original Romancing SaGa, Romancing SaGa 2, SaGa 2 (DS remake of FFL 2) or SaGa 3 (DS remake of FFL 3). There is also something called Emperor's SaGa out there that is apparently a TCG that I refuse to touch since TCG. XD As for Unlimited...*sigh* I really, -REALLY- wanted to like that game. A kick ass soundtrack aside, it is garbage. Creek put in the time and effort to get to know it, but nearly everyone else will likely put it down because it is so unfriendly, lacks decent instructions and requires too much chance. Not every entry in the series can be a winner.

W&L: I think I mentioned this in a PM, but whenever I was getting Lily ranks up, I always made sure to include Wyn and Lid in the party. I placed them next to each other and let one of the enemies approach Wyn. And then, it was nothing but Yellow Carding. Lots and lots of Yellow Carding. By the time the enemies fell due to counterattacks, I just sat them to the side and finished the five-person Lily fest.

...that was such an awful grind. ~_~()

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6932 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:30 am »
Here kash, in thanks  ;)

http://hyperdimensionneptunia.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Rain

(I would have not "gotten" this one)...

kashell

« Reply #6933 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:39 am »
Here kash, in thanks  ;)

http://hyperdimensionneptunia.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Rain

(I would have not "gotten" this one)...

Wow, I never would have never guessed that one. Thanks for the information!

abe

« Reply #6934 on: April 24, 2015, 11:24:17 am »
Woooooo. Done all my final exams! :o I'm exhausted now. :'(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6935 on: April 24, 2015, 11:54:27 am »
I had a dream I hosted a guitar hero party.....and Mike Tyson was there.... the hell?!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

« Reply #6936 on: April 24, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »
For some reason, I thought that the water dragon was supposed to be a special enemy since it uses the regular battle bgm. I haven't played this game in a long time( I didn't get too far), but I know that some of the enemies with the regular battle bgm are more difficult in some instances that the "designated bosses" like in Romancing Saga 2 where you have this gelatin slime boss early in the game that regens 80 HP per turn, and was pretty hard since you needed a mage to get through the battle without anyone dying. At least that wasn't as bad as the Hive Queen who has a ton of nasty attacks long with status conditions( i got stuck around that part because the garbled text in the terrible English text makes it near impossible to advance scenarios in the designated order w/o a guide.)

Maybe boss wasn't the right term...more like sub-boss? Mid-boss? Something like that. But, since the SaGa games are usually on the more difficult side, I was ready to accept a crushing defeat. Just knowing that he recovered 999 HP per turn was enough to make do a little bit of extra grinding.

I haven't tried Romancing SaGa 2. I hear that's the best one of the three, but the translation patch is shoddy at best.
Yeah, I think they're just sub-bosses. I'm not sure how far the water dragon is into SaGa 3, but 999 HP regn is pretty beastly. Grinding can really help for some of those bosses, as well as strategy so those two are probably the biggest factors to beating those baddies.

Romancing SaGa 2 has a pretty good story, especially compared to its predecessor. There's this whole thing with these seven heroes getting called back, but they come back instead as demons( not entirely sure), and you've got this generational system, where as your main character is ruler of the land. As you progress through the game, certain events trigger a generational jump, and that means the new ruler will inherit the stats and skills of the previous ruler. Being the ruler also lets you get taxes from the area that are under your rule, which can be used to build new facilities and recruit new characters, etc. 
From what I've played of Romancing Saga 2, the translation patch translates all the text for battles, characters, and the intro with the bard. Everything else besides that has this garbled text that looks ugly and broken( apparently the problem stems from no translation for the rest of the script, and other font+ dictation problems). This means that although the battles are easy enough, you will need a guide to figure out where to go next, since its near impossible to discern what to do at certain points due to the text issue. I really liked the game, but the text problem ended up hurting me in the long run, and I wasn't able to recover my team from that. Hopefully, someone( or something) will translate the game, because I think it deserves to be played, especially for just the final boss alone.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6937 on: April 24, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

Congrats!

No excuses now - time to get after those Tears to Tiara 2 --and-- Cross Edge plats! :o

Finally finished Wyn -n- Lid, kash  ;D

*coasts* the rest of the way to dat' plat  8)

kashell

« Reply #6938 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:07 pm »
For some reason, I thought that the water dragon was supposed to be a special enemy since it uses the regular battle bgm. I haven't played this game in a long time( I didn't get too far), but I know that some of the enemies with the regular battle bgm are more difficult in some instances that the "designated bosses" like in Romancing Saga 2 where you have this gelatin slime boss early in the game that regens 80 HP per turn, and was pretty hard since you needed a mage to get through the battle without anyone dying. At least that wasn't as bad as the Hive Queen who has a ton of nasty attacks long with status conditions( i got stuck around that part because the garbled text in the terrible English text makes it near impossible to advance scenarios in the designated order w/o a guide.)

Maybe boss wasn't the right term...more like sub-boss? Mid-boss? Something like that. But, since the SaGa games are usually on the more difficult side, I was ready to accept a crushing defeat. Just knowing that he recovered 999 HP per turn was enough to make do a little bit of extra grinding.

I haven't tried Romancing SaGa 2. I hear that's the best one of the three, but the translation patch is shoddy at best.
Yeah, I think they're just sub-bosses. I'm not sure how far the water dragon is into SaGa 3, but 999 HP regn is pretty beastly. Grinding can really help for some of those bosses, as well as strategy so those two are probably the biggest factors to beating those baddies.

Romancing SaGa 2 has a pretty good story, especially compared to its predecessor. There's this whole thing with these seven heroes getting called back, but they come back instead as demons( not entirely sure), and you've got this generational system, where as your main character is ruler of the land. As you progress through the game, certain events trigger a generational jump, and that means the new ruler will inherit the stats and skills of the previous ruler. Being the ruler also lets you get taxes from the area that are under your rule, which can be used to build new facilities and recruit new characters, etc. 
From what I've played of Romancing Saga 2, the translation patch translates all the text for battles, characters, and the intro with the bard. Everything else besides that has this garbled text that looks ugly and broken( apparently the problem stems from no translation for the rest of the script, and other font+ dictation problems). This means that although the battles are easy enough, you will need a guide to figure out where to go next, since its near impossible to discern what to do at certain points due to the text issue. I really liked the game, but the text problem ended up hurting me in the long run, and I wasn't able to recover my team from that. Hopefully, someone( or something) will translate the game, because I think it deserves to be played, especially for just the final boss alone.

I really want to play it. Since it's considered the favorite of the three, I'm surprised no one made a legitimate translation for it yet. I'm not saying Romancing SaGa 3 is bad by any means, but based on what I heard about 2 it just seems like the folks would have gone with that one first.

Aside: I have an issue with menu patches that I won't get into now.

Enjoy your shiny new platinum when it "dings", dark! You've earned it!

maximo310

« Reply #6939 on: April 24, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »

I really want to play it. Since it's considered the favorite of the three, I'm surprised no one made a legitimate translation for it yet. I'm not saying Romancing SaGa 3 is bad by any means, but based on what I heard about 2 it just seems like the folks would have gone with that one first.

Aside: I have an issue with menu patches that I won't get into now.
From what I read, a few groups started work on patches for RS2 back in 1996-1997, but the only ok patch, Gilhide, came out in 2002. I think part of the problem is that has some weird dialect stuff in the script, but I think it that there is no group effort to fix the most important problems, and having only a few people working on translating the script so far. There was someone who posted in 2014 that he was working on his own patch, but I haven't heard anything since them.
It's a shame, because from what I've played its pretty fun, difficult, and rewarding experience minus the other issues. Some of the boss designs were pretty cool, and some of them ( seven heroes) will have different stats and attacks depending in what order you chose to fight them.  Maybe someday it will happen man, but it was my favorite out of the 3 games.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the  regular menu gets all messed up from the patch as well, so it will be pretty cumbersome to remember what each option is. I don't think there is any fix for that yet either.

foxhack

« Reply #6940 on: April 24, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »
There was someone who posted in 2014 that he was working on his own patch, but I haven't heard anything since them.

You mean this?

He's currently working on Dark Half, but trust me, the project is not abandoned. And don't ask him about it on Twitter. He gets grumpy. :p

maximo310

« Reply #6941 on: April 24, 2015, 06:16:31 pm »
There was someone who posted in 2014 that he was working on his own patch, but I haven't heard anything since them.

You mean this?

He's currently working on Dark Half, but trust me, the project is not abandoned. And don't ask him about it on Twitter. He gets grumpy. :p
Yeah that's it.
Oh that's really good. When I heard about it, it gave me some hope that there would be a complete translation of this someday, since I want to understand and finish the game. I was a bit worried, after not hearing much over the last few months. This is a pretty ambitious project to undertake, and I hope he's able to succeed on this where many others have stopped.

abe

« Reply #6942 on: April 24, 2015, 09:50:36 pm »

Congrats!

No excuses now - time to get after those Tears to Tiara 2 --and-- Cross Edge plats! :o

I wish. :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6943 on: April 25, 2015, 11:02:38 am »

Congrats!

Does this mean that there are, indeed, yet more excuses?! :o

abe

« Reply #6944 on: April 25, 2015, 11:48:00 am »

Congrats!

Does this mean that there are, indeed, yet more excuses?! :o

Well, I'll be away from home out camping in Nevada for a month, so yes. :P