Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1540656 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #7396 on: June 21, 2015, 04:06:20 pm »
I want one!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/20/super-mario-bros-3-world-map-made-entirely-out-of-yarn

My mom knows how to crochet. She can do like mario beanies and pretty much anything like that.... But i doubt she loves me that much lol.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

karyann

« Reply #7397 on: June 21, 2015, 08:29:52 pm »
So I went to the Mario Maker @ Best Buy event today. It took about 90 minutes of waiting due to the amount of people there( I was surprised there weren't more people there given the size of LA). The Mario Maker demo had an associate pick a random pre-made level for you and you had 2 tries to beat it. In addition, there was also a demo for the Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes that was playable as well. There was also Smash logo/ SMB 30th anniversary pins given to each person as well.

Triforce Heroes was ok, but I feel that you'd need good teammates to get through the level and there only fairy ( life) penalities if Player 1 gets killed at any time which is a bit frustrating. Mario Maker on the other hand was defenitely more enjoyable since you can do some stuff in the levels that aren't possible in other rom hacks, and the pre-made levels defenitely required more strategy than most level of Mario games. I'm defenitely gonna pick up Mario Maker when it comes out now.

I tried Mario Maker too, and it was awesome! I had 3 minutes though instead of 2 tries, and I could choose the level so I went for a level 9 one. It was super fun, and it got me even more excited for the game! And I got a Super Mario 30th anniversary lanyard instead of a smash pin, it looks super awesome.

argyle

« Reply #7398 on: June 22, 2015, 02:52:58 pm »
Jealous of you guys that got to go to the BB Mario event. :P That lanyard looks amazing!

I wish they had included SMB2 in MM. Yes, yes, I know "It wasn't originally a Mario game!" I don't care. For thousands of kids in the 80's, including myself, it was Super Mario Bros. 2. There was no internet to tell us of its origins, and no one I knew questioned it.

And I still say it's the best Mario game on the NES.  :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #7399 on: June 22, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

karyann

« Reply #7400 on: June 22, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »
Jealous of you guys that got to go to the BB Mario event. :P That lanyard looks amazing!

I wish they had included SMB2 in MM. Yes, yes, I know "It wasn't originally a Mario game!" I don't care. For thousands of kids in the 80's, including myself, it was Super Mario Bros. 2. There was no internet to tell us of its origins, and no one I knew questioned it.

I didn't like SMB2 all that much, but I can understand how someone could :) I guess the gameplay/physics was just too different for it to fit MM easily?  :-\

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7401 on: June 22, 2015, 05:33:27 pm »
While not a "true" Mario game, SMB2 is still one of the best platformers on the NES. Just not quite as good as SMB 1 & 3.

abe

« Reply #7402 on: June 22, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »
And I still say Super Mario Bros 3 is the best Mario game on the NES.  :P

I agree. ;)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #7403 on: June 22, 2015, 06:17:53 pm »

I didn't like SMB2 all that much, but I can understand how someone could :) I guess the gameplay/physics was just too different for it to fit MM easily?  :-\

Nintendo treats it like the red-headed stepchild. But if it was good enough for them to label it an official part of the series in the 80's, then they should stand behind it now. Quite a few staples of the Mario series came from that game, after all - Shy Guys and the different attributes of Mario, Luigi, Toad & Princess, just to name a couple.

It's also one of the best-looking games on the NES IMO. I thought Mario 3 was a step back graphically - the characters all look "squished" and weird.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #7404 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »
Nintendo treats it like the red-headed stepchild. But if it was good enough for them to label it an official part of the series in the 80's, then they should stand behind it now. Quite a few staples of the Mario series came from that game, after all - Shy Guys and the different attributes of Mario, Luigi, Toad & Princess, just to name a couple.

It's also one of the best-looking games on the NES IMO. I thought Mario 3 was a step back graphically - the characters all look "squished" and weird.

I definitely gotta agree with you there, though! It did sprout many elements that are still very ingrained today.

soera

« Reply #7405 on: June 23, 2015, 12:23:01 am »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7406 on: June 23, 2015, 01:01:06 am »
It's definitely been awhile since I heard something new from Disturbed.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

soera

« Reply #7407 on: June 23, 2015, 10:17:00 am »
All I can say is FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Disturbed

Warmsignal

« Reply #7408 on: June 23, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »

Yeah, it kind of gets annoying how everyone nowadays is compelled to remind you "that's not REALLY a Mario game". I've heard so much to the contrary. Including how it was Miyamoto's favorite Mario game, that he liked it better than Japan's SMB2, and a rumor that his original vision of SMB2 was our version. Personally, I like our SMB2 better than 1, or 3.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7409 on: June 23, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
^ I don't know how you heard the contrary. It's a game named Doki Doki Panic in Japan, with entirely different characters. They just switched out sprites and made a few changes to the game when they ported it to the U.S. as SMB 2.