Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2365 times)

htimreimer

Windows 8
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:14:50 am »
my question is simple, have you tried windows 8 and will you be getting windows 8

for me

i'm not getting windows 8 because its for tablets not pc's or laptops and i tried it on a laptop it was just so awkward to use and guess what there is no massive speed boost like microsoft keeps on say to us

darko

Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »
I've spent a little time with Windows 8 and I don't really like it. Windows 7 replaced XP for me. It's going to take something pretty awesome to get me away from 7.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »
I recently bought a new pc, but EVERYTHING was running windows 8 when I got to places. Only one store had windows 7. I hate the metro layout, I find it unnecessary and hard to navigate

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:50:05 am »
I recently bought a new pc, but EVERYTHING was running windows 8 when I got to places. Only one store had windows 7. I hate the metro layout, I find it unnecessary and hard to navigate
so i am guessing your gonna downgrade to windows 7

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:03 am »
I tried it the other day and didn't really like it one bit.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:19 pm »
@Htimreimer I bought one with windows 7 premium preinstalled. Buying windows 7 is expensive-ish, I didn't want to spend an extra 150 dollars on an OS.

madmax

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:35:19 am »
They tried to take 2 OSs (Windows and OSX) and make 1 thing with it and then they tried to take that and make it compatible with tablets and desktops.

It's a mess of an operating system. I am staying far far away from it.

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:49:12 am »
@Htimreimer I bought one with windows 7 premium preinstalled. Buying windows 7 is expensive-ish, I didn't want to spend an extra 150 dollars on an OS.
sorry i made a mistake i thought you had win8 on that new computer and didn't like it :-[

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »
It looks like a mobile/tablet OS that's trying to be OSX that's trying to be Windows that's trying to be a smartphone that's trying to be a new social media service.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:52:45 am »
I've been using the release candidate on my home computer for 6 months now, and it is hit or miss for me.

Pros:
It's prettier-the login screens, etc. all look really nice.  Copying dialog boxes, task manager, shutdown options, control panel, all quite nice.

The metro screen itself is also nice looking, but not really extra functional for me.  When I hit the start button in W7, I'd start typing the program I wanted, and hit enter when it came up.  W8 still does that, so it's kind of a non-issue.

Performance does seem to be a bit better on W8 than on W7, which was very surprising.

Cons:
The metro apps are pretty much universally bad.  The pictures app, video app, facebook app, all meh, and take a LONG time to load.  Like when I double click on a picture file, it takes 5-10 seconds to load the "preview" app so I can see the picture.  Bah. 

Desktop is treated as an "app"  which is silly, because as soon as you run any regular application, it will take you to the desktop to run it.

I wouldn't go out and buy it, but I wouldn't downgrade either.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:21 pm »
It's made for touchscreens, which makes it awful for PC users. Luckily, the old Desktop is still available which is what I use most of the time instead of the "panels" interface.

I really, REALLY hate the incompatibility of a lot of programs. I can no longer play my copy of Neverwinter Nights which just breaks my heart. Luckily it's available from GoG.com for cheap.

Worst of all is Internet Explorer constantly crashing which drives me insane, especially when playing YouTube or Last.FM. I know, I know, everyone wants to scream, "USE FIREFOX!" Well, I don't like to share a browser with my wife because then I don't have to remember passwords or sign-in names because IE remembers them for me. But now I have to because the constant crashing is unnerving.

scott

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »
USE CHROME!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »
It's made for touchscreens, which makes it awful for PC users. Luckily, the old Desktop is still available which is what I use most of the time instead of the "panels" interface.

I really, REALLY hate the incompatibility of a lot of programs. I can no longer play my copy of Neverwinter Nights which just breaks my heart. Luckily it's available from GoG.com for cheap.

Worst of all is Internet Explorer constantly crashing which drives me insane, especially when playing YouTube or Last.FM. I know, I know, everyone wants to scream, "USE FIREFOX!" Well, I don't like to share a browser with my wife because then I don't have to remember passwords or sign-in names because IE remembers them for me. But now I have to because the constant crashing is unnerving.
Firefox has a profile manager. Which you can use to keep your passwords and sign in names separate from hers.

jobocan

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:16 pm »
USE CHROME!

That. It's the only browser worth using, ever.

scott

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »
I'm a total convert. I love it that I can share bookmarks between my desktop and Chrome on my phone. So if I find something and I want to mark it on my phone while I'm away from my PC, I can mark it and go back to it later. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread