Author Topic: You know how I know we have a very narrow type of gamer here?  (Read 9406 times)

ffxik

Re: You know how I know we have a very narrow type of gamer here?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:00:57 am »
I own a handful of sports titles.  The only one I willingly accepted was NBA Jam.  PGA Tour 96 came with my 3DO and the others I own are for the Intellivision and the Atari 2600.  One came bulk with the system the other was a bulk lot of games. 

That being said I don't consider myself "narrow" at all.  I just know when something isn't worth the price of the plastic it's pressed on.  EA sports titles and modern military FPS aren't.  Some people use them to boost their numbers.  I'd rather play football with a hornets nest.   ;D

Oh and to answer your conundrum about so many copies sold versus so few listed.  That's easy.  Just step into your local game/thrift/pawn shops.  You'll find where biggest majority are rightfully rotting away.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:04:09 am by ffxik »

soera

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:34 am »
I just know when something isn't worth the price of the plastic it's pressed on.  EA sports titles and modern military FPS aren't. 

Oh and to answer your conundrum about so many copies sold versus so few listed.  That's easy.  Just step into your local game/thrift/pawn shops.  You'll find where biggest majority are rightfully rotting away.

This is 100% truth right here. Couldnt have said it better myself.

vancha

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:20 pm »
Well sports games are one thing, but I also wonder how many here import games from Japan? There are a ton of good Japanese games out there aswell and I just ordered my first game from down below.

Really looking forward to having (and playing) games like Mobile Suit Gundam and the Super Robot Taisen series :-)

scott

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
Well sports games are one thing, but I also wonder how many here import games from Japan? There are a ton of good Japanese games out there aswell and I just ordered my first game from down below.

Really looking forward to having (and playing) games like Mobile Suit Gundam and the Super Robot Taisen series :-)

I have a few import games from Japan and one from Europe. I'd really like to get a bunch more and plan on snagging the rest of the the Shining Force 3 games eventually (maybe with my coin savings). There are tons of shmups out there that are Japan only and I really would love to get some of them.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »
Well sports games are one thing, but I also wonder how many here import games from Japan?

Me! I started going through some import sites and getting a bunch of not-so-random stuff in the last 2 years or so. Mostly going for pretty standard stuff (Famicom, Super Famicom), since that's mostly what I can play (and I'm waiting for PS3 imports to go down in price)... Reminds me I haven't put my import DS and PS2 games in my collection yet.

As for sport games, I only like old ones. My favorite Madden is '94 on the Genesis, for example, but I like arcadey sports games, which they don't really make anymore (with the only exception being the NBA Jam remake). Modern sport games don't really feel like proper video games, they bore me... Except Fight Night, I loved 3 and 4.

matt

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:47 am »
I have a HUGE sports game fan. I just love the competitive nature of them but it also helps that I'm a sports fan and follow many teams.

The EA NHL and NBA2K series are both amazing. That being said, they hold no value as a collector and really lose their appeal a year after release.

foxhack

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 01:10:43 pm »

We have one big Japanese (and Chinese) collector here called Kimimi.

I own a couple of random Japanese Saturn and PS1 games ... with no way to play the PS1 games. Ha. :p

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »
We have one big Japanese (and Chinese) collector here called Kimimi.

Unfortunately for us (I think it's our loss), I wouldn't expect to be seeing much of kimimi around here any more  :'(

IMHO, she's a good friend, gamer, and collector.

However, I don't think that her suggestions/requirements here were responded to very quickly (if at all) -and- when I talked to her (earlier this morning); she said that she had to add (~90%) of her games/systems manually since the list of "missing consoles" and games/regions/alt.titles that she had needed added/addressed...well...weren't.

While I'll miss seeing more of her here - at least we still "see" each other & talk on other forums, too.

Honestly, I'm a bit conflicted here -because- I love this site & community...but...I can also understand her frustrations & reasons for not returning  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »
Well, some things were addressed.

Unlike a certain other site I used to belong to which oh, it's been ten years since I asked a simple data feature to be added and they still haven't bothered with it.

Sorry to hear she won't be around much.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »
Well, some things were addressed.

Unlike a certain other site I used to belong to which oh, it's been ten years since I asked a simple data feature to be added and they still haven't bothered with it.

Sorry to hear she won't be around much.

Yeah - I know that some things *were* addressed, I didn't mean to say/imply that *nothing* was...but...*I think* that it was likely just as much the lack of concrete & definitive answers to some of her questions & problems that was bothering her...

scott

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »
I coulda swore that I went through and added everything she requested? But if I missed anything I severely apologize. I've been using most every bit of spare time over the last month building that mame cab for my friend. And since I had a deadline I had to let other things slide.

Unfortunately, matt and I are the only ones that (I think) can add categories to the database. And matt is the only one that can handle feature requests, since he's the coder. I'm more like the community guy. :(

I'm sorry that it makes you feel conflicted disgaeniac and if you want to take it out on me feel free. Again I'm sorry that she isn't going to be around. It was really cool having her around. I like having a bunch of folks with diverse collecting habits around here, it makes the conversation more interesting. If there is anything I can do to help fix the situation, I'm more than willing to help.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »
Anyone who says sports games suck needs to play Nintendo World Cup or the Mutant Hockey games.

I've heard the FIFA games are good, but I completely agree about the Mutant League games.

Just thinking about the sports games I grew up on:
- NBA Jam
- Pigskin 621 A.D
- Mutant League Football
- Mutant League Hockey

Played a lot of racing games back then, too, before it got fancified with glares and reflections and such.  The Road Rash series was one of my faves growing up.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »
Maybe we need another person or 2 who is able to take some of the requests (Im not volunteering cause I dont know anything about stuff like that). Could possibly even offer it to her to allow her the ability to fix it as needed.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »
Maybe we need another person or 2 who is able to take some of the requests (Im not volunteering cause I dont know anything about stuff like that). Could possibly even offer it to her to allow her the ability to fix it as needed.

That actually sounds good.

Perhaps if matt/Scott were to PM her w/ some solutions/flexibility to make changes, as needed...

I PM'd her here this morning -so- I know that she's still looking at/responding to PM's here...

matt

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:14 pm »

That actually sounds good.

Perhaps if matt/Scott were to PM her w/ some solutions/flexibility to make changes, as needed...

I PM'd her here this morning -so- I know that she's still looking at/responding to PM's here...

Interesting. Not to keep this thread off-topic but this breaks my heart to hear. I pride myself and this site on actively keeping tabs on user requests and at least acknowledging them if we can't respond quickly. There are definitely a few threads I've missed in the past few months do to a ridiculously busy schedule. I know that is no excuse.

We'll try to address this with the staff and hopefully bring her back...

:'(