Author Topic: What kind of game collector are you?  (Read 5542 times)

What kind of game collector are you?
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:12 am »
Just curious, as I can see a lot of your game collection totals on your posts.  I see a lot of people over 1000 games, and I can't imagion getting that high.

I, personally, only collect the games I enjoy and want to play/replay.  So everything in my wishlist is games I actually want to play and keep (from past experience and/or sequals to a series I liked).

So are you a get one of every game person?  Or just games you like?

Re: What kind of game collector are you?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:11:57 am »
I only buy games I like and intend to play - still means I own over 1000 games! Maybe I should try to have narrower tastes ;D

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
I only buy games I like and intend to play - still means I own over 1000 games! Maybe I should try to have narrower tastes ;D

Oh Boy!  A fellow backloggery member!  I may have to stalk you there as well.   :o

soera

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:43:22 am »
My collection mostly consists of NES carts, early rpgs (Master system and PS1), and Dragon warrior/quest stuff. I have some other stuff too but its not as important as whats listed.

darko

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
I typically collect games with the intention of playing them. My NES collection is an exception because I was going for a complete collection when I first started collecting. There's some garbage here and there, buy I'd say 90% of my collection would at least be considered a 7/10 or higher.

The more reviews you look at, the more recs you get from youtube users, etc the more you'll find to buy. Trust me, there are a ton of really great games that you've never heard of out there just waiting for you to buy them!

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:01 am »
I normally just buy games that are cheap unless it's one that I really want to play and then I'll spend more on it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:12 am »
I only buy games I like and intend to play

Pretty much this w/ 2 exceptions:

(1).  If it's like a yard sale, or something, w/ a bunch of games (even for systems I don't have/know about) at ~ $1/each...I'll usually pick 'em up, and

(2).  The occasional (*Usually*) N1 LE pre-orders from their on-line store (ex. Hyperdimension Neptunia & Hyperdimension Neptunia: MK-2...(and in the near future) Hyperdimension Neptunia: V(ictory)); that I'll sometimes pre-order multiple copies of in the hopes of selling them for a (hopefully/usually) tidy profit later on...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

blipcs76

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:39:37 am »
I buy pretty much anything I can get at a decent price, though I'll usually pass on sports titles unless I can get them for less than a dollar.  Wide swaths of my collection are games I'll never play or may only play for 5 minutes, but I don't mind.  I like the collection aspect of the hobby as much as I enjoy playing these games, so I don't mind crappy games in my collection as long as they contribute towards presenting a truer representation of that console's library (not just the best or most rare titles).

thecollector0o7

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:32 am »
I mostly collect systems but i go on kicks like right now i am on a n64 one and before a snes and before an atari and so on. This is how my collection grows i get hooked on a system for a few months and by what ever game i can, trying to get rare ones a good prices.

jobocan

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:47 am »
I'm similar to Darko, I started collecting with the idea to get a complete NES collection, but after a while of getting tons of cheap crap I realized that I wasn't having fun doing it, so I stopped that and just started buying games I wanted to play, regardless of the system.

That's how I started getting a bunch of systems (and how I want to get a couple more at least) with a selection of games for each. I do occasionally still get games that I don't enjoy, but it's generally through bundles or because I thought I'd enjoy it and it turns out not being fun... or in some cases I get games because they're funny bad like shaq fu and superman.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:54 pm »
I'm like disgaea, minus the last part of the second part.  I'll only pre-order a limited edition for myself when I do xD.  But yeah, I only buy games I intend on playing except at yardsells.  It's sad to think about these poor games setting in some old ladies basement collecting dust forever.  I haven't gone yardselling in a long time.

ko1ru

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »
I always buy games I know I like/will like and intend to play.  Or, I'll buy games from my childhood -- even if they're not masterpieces --  just for nostalgia's sake.  If there's a crap game in my collection, the blame falls on my boyfriend, not me.  ;D

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 01:01:58 pm »
I know it sometimes look like I'm all

but these days I only pick up stuff that seems remotely interesting or hard to find.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:23:47 pm »
I also just buy items I intend to play at some point, even if it's out of curiosity (just bought Kirby's Mass Attack since it's on sale for $10; never got into the Kirby franchise, but figured it was worth the $10 to try out or gift).

Where it gets tricky is with pre-orders... I'll buy them with the intentions of playing them, but I hate paying retail price when it's likely that by the time I'll actually get to play them, they'll be worth a fraction of their launch price.

But with LEs and companies with limited runs (i.e. Atlus, xSeed, etc.), it always feels like a gamble to not preorder most of their titles...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »
I know it sometimes look like I'm all

but these days I only pick up stuff that seems remotely interesting or hard to find.

You mean like that Greatest Hits copy of Wheel of Fortune on PS1?